Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    I find the 85 to be pretty handy, more than I thought a tanto would be,
    a little more blade would be useful but the UT seems to be mostly more handle.
    My Spyderco's, ZT's, CRK have been left in the drawer lately.
    Sounds like a Guardian Recon gets a closer look.
    The longer handle on the Ultratech isn't necessarily a bad thing--especially for larger hands.

I've been breaking in the knife by repeatedly moving the switch just up to the breakpoint of the "sear". The action has smoothed out quite a bit. It's annoying that it doesn't come from the factory like that, but I guess that's what you pay the big bucks for in a Hawk Deadlock?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I’m almost to the point where I no longer have the willpower to stay in the military and keep coming back to Microtech bc I just love knives. I’m not really into OTFs but keep wanting to exercise the mil discount. Anyone want to talk me into/ out of one!!?? It really comes down to there’s probably a better way to spend $200 and that’s half a Sebenza which I don’t have either. But I can’t find them in stock anywhere!
    Last edited by TOTS; 01-29-2022 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I’m almost to the point where I no longer have the willpower to stay in the military and keep coming back to Microtech bc I just love knives. I’m not really into OTFs but keep wanting to exercise the mil discount. Anyone want to talk me into/ out of one!!?? It really comes down to there’s probably a better way to spend $200 and that’s half a Sebenza which I don’t have either. But I can’t find them in stock anywhere!
    OK, here goes: my love for knives has been an expensive habit, but not one that I regret. It's fairly easy to sell a knife that doesn't work out, and maybe lose $50-100 of value at most. An OTF wouldn't be my only knife, but I carry one of mine quite a bit. (I'm lucky to live in Oregon where knife laws are not very restrictive. I can carry a D/E OTF, but can't take it across the border to WA.) At a LE or mil discount, why not give one a try?

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I've been breaking in the knife by repeatedly moving the switch just up to the breakpoint of the "sear". The action has smoothed out quite a bit. It's annoying that it doesn't come from the factory like that, but I guess that's what you pay the big bucks for in a Hawk Deadlock?
    Followup on cleaning, lubrication, and break-in of a Microtech OTF. No disassembly is required. Here's the procedure that has yielded good results:

Cleaning & Lubrication
    1. Fire knife at a sheet of paper to put the blade in an unlocked state. You should be able to pull the blade in and out by hand. Leave the blade pushed almost all the way in, so there's a large gap at the front, but the lock and unlock gates are free. (See image below).
    2. Spray liberally with Gunscrubber or non-chlorinated carb cleaner.
    3. Blow out with canned or compressed air.
    4. Spray liberally with well-shaken RemOil.
    5. Blow out with canned or compressed air.

Break-in for New Knife
    1. Clean and lube as above
    2. Use Mechanix type gloves to save your fingers.
    3. Push toggle just to the break point and let it return. You will feel resistance as the unlock gate slides. That's what you're working to reduce by polishing the "sear" surface.
    4. Repeat ~100 times or until you are satisfied.

My Microtechs are still not as light and smooth as a Deadlock, but noticeably improved.

Here’s an internet pic I found that shows what’s inside. (I don’t recommend opening your Microtech up.)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-30-2022 at 02:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    I soaked / flushed out my UTX when it first arrived and again a couple of weeks ago when it was getting a little sluggish, results were good, fires with authority.
    The non chlorinated carb cleaner sounds like a good idea to clean, rather than just flush and lube.
    So far I've been able to resist taking it apart...
    Not sure how long that will last

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I've always wanted an OTF, but the Microtech SPP OTF choices just don't appeal to me; the only tantos I like are the Chris Reeves and the Emersons, and those are purely based on aesthetics, I would much rather have a more useful blade choice for either of those. As for the Microtechs, I really wish they would allow for a DE instead of a tanto, I would have jumped on an SPP long ago if that was the case.

This just came in the mail. I should have gotten one of these sooner.

Name:  Recon-035.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  31.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    This just came in the mail. I should have gotten one of these sooner.

Name:  Recon-035.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  31.1 KB
    Nice, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the knife
    for general usage / edc tasks

Site Supporter
    Way outside of my lane re OTF knives. Always thought they were cool. Often scared they would fire inadvertently in the pocket. I acknowledge the same concerns for "unlocked" automatics.

I fully acknowledge I do not know what I do not know.

What is the price of admission for an OTF knife to have the same or less amount of "blade shake" than a go to folder in the 100 range i.e. Spyderco Endura/Rockjumper etc.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and indulgence.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Way outside of my lane re OTF knives. Always thought they were cool. Often scared they would fire inadvertently in the pocket. I acknowledge the same concerns for "unlocked" automatics.

I fully acknowledge I do not know what I do not know.

What is the price of admission for an OTF knife to have the same or less amount of "blade shake" than a go to folder in the 100 range i.e. Spyderco Endura/Rockjumper etc.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and indulgence.
    Your questions are good ones.

AD/ND: quality double-action OTFs are not likely to release in a pocket. I usually do not put anything loose in the pocket I'm carrying the knife in, but the amount of force and travel required to toggle them is significant. All the females in my family are unable to fire my Microtechs using only one thumb. Double action OTFs will not penetrate very deeply if fired at a solid object. You can fire them at a piece of paper, and the blade will stop after ~1/2". (Don't try this against skin). However, single action autos are strong!

Blade lockup: the only OTF that is locked up completely solid like a quality conventional folder is the G&G Hawk Deadlock (~$1100-$1700). I have a Deadlock Model B, and it's truly a work of art. The top tier production OTFs (Microtech, Guardian, etc. ) lock up tightly enough to not affect function in any measurable way. Below is a torture test video that illustrates how solid these knives are built.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-05-2022 at 01:27 PM.

User Tag List