Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

I can already see a theme emerging: "relatively expensive adult fidget spinner."

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Out The Front (OTF) knives

The UTX-85 is pretty light. It weighs a little over 3 Oz., less than a Griptilian. While $250 isn’t cheap, i think it’s reasonable for the quality. Maintenance and reliability remain unknown. However, the manufacturer recommendations are fairly simple—just flush with Rem oil and blow with air.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The UTX-85 is pretty light. It weighs a little over 3 Oz., less than a Griptilian. While $250 isn’t cheap, i think it’s reasonable for the quality.
    The OTF market defines the dichotomy between affordable and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I didn't even think to look if they made a trainer, which apparently they do not. However! This company: https://ravencresttactical.com/produ...vo-otf-knives/ makes cheap Micrcotech knock-offs, and they also sell a training blade for it: https://ravencresttactical.com/shop/...raining-blade/

So if you're willing to spend $150 to get a trainer, you can. And also not worry about breaking it during EWO
    [thinking...]A trainer is not a knife... and probably is not illegal under that rampant 19th-c. copypasta legalese plaguing many states...[/thinking...]

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The OTF market defines the dichotomy between affordable and quality.
    How so? A P’kal is similarly priced, and the Microtech has a higher quality blade.

I have an Ultratech, and also have the Spyderco P'kal and a Ban Tang Clinch Pick.

I don't think I'd take the OTF for a defensive role. A piece of paper can keep the blade from opening fully, and I imagine it would be pretty likely that something would be in the way if you were grappling with someone. The P'kal works pretty well, and is what I use if I can't have a fixed blade for some reason but can be a challenge with certain clothes and positions. The advantage the P'kal, or any waved opener, has over an OTF is that if it doesn't open all the way, you can usually correct the problem by applying pressure to the blade which would force it the rest of the way open. With an OTF you have a paperweight until you have 2 hands free to fix the issue.

I use the Ultratech as a EDC knife to cut tape/packages or what not. I mostly chose it for that role just because its cool and fun to play with.

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I have an Ultratech, and also have the Spyderco P'kal and a Ban Tang Clinch Pick.

I don't think I'd take the OTF for a defensive role. A piece of paper can keep the blade from opening fully, and I imagine it would be pretty likely that something would be in the way if you were grappling with someone. The P'kal works pretty well, and is what I use if I can't have a fixed blade for some reason but can be a challenge with certain clothes and positions. The advantage the P'kal, or any waved opener, has over an OTF is that if it doesn't open all the way, you can usually correct the problem by applying pressure to the blade which would force it the rest of the way open. With an OTF you have a paperweight until you have 2 hands free to fix the issue.

I use the Ultratech as a EDC knife to cut tape/packages or what not. I mostly chose it for that role just because its cool and fun to play with.
    That’s a great point about correcting a partial opening under stress. I wish we had a trainer.

However, at least with mine, I can flick the blade to full open very easily by inertia, with one hand, without changing grip. Want to try it and let us know what you think?

I absolutely don't have enough sense to carry or use a double edged knife -- OTF or otherwise. Either thumb or forefinger is on the back of the blade 95% of the time (thanks Grandpa the whittlin' guru). It's a mindless habit I can't seem to break.

I'm not a knife fighter -- at all. I can fubar someone with a flashlight but probably more apt to harm myself than an attacker if I attempted to use a blade in any defensive situation. At least I'm self aware.

That all being typed... my Microtech is strictly a functional task knife. Having insanely easy bi-directional operation comes in super handy. It's rare that I reach for a knife prior to realizing I need one, and always come to the realization after something is in hand which needs a knife. The OTF is top dog in that role for sure.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

That’s a great point about correcting a partial opening under stress. I wish we had a trainer.

However, at least with mine, I can flick the blade to full open very easily by inertia, with one hand, without changing grip. Want to try it and let us know what you think?
    What made you want to go with an OTF over the clinch pick for that specific role? I don't think there are many options out there that can "out clinch pick" the clinch pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    What made you want to go with an OTF over the clinch pick for that specific role? I don't think there are many options out there that can "out clinch pick" the clinch pick.
    Agreed.

This was to have a support side folder that could double in that role, when I’m not carrying a fixed blade.

Agreed.

This was to have a support side folder that could double in that role, when I’m not carrying a fixed blade.
    Gotcha. If I'm wearing a belt, I have my clinch pick on it, but I recently picked up one of their smaller push dagger prototypes that I've been using for support side carry when I'm not wearing a belt. The clip allows it to work great for casual or athletic shorts with no belt, so that might be something you could look into also if they are legal in your area.

I definitely think there are worse options than an OTF, but the biggest concern is the blade not opening. Worst case scenario you can use the glass breaker to bash them if the blade doesn't open and I imagine that would be fairly effective. Could at least buy you enough time to fix the blade or access your firearm.

User Tag List