Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Yeah...that is super nice

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Hawk Deadlock!

I just sold my UTX-85. I tried to like it..I really did.. sent it in to have it sharpened because it wasn’t sharp. Got it back and it still didn’t seem sharp. Mine had a drop point blade M390. I found the blade to be thick. I’m used to and prefer thinner blades for slicing. This one wouldn’t. It was cool to play with and seemed well built. But honestly, I use my blades mostly for opening mail, cutting rope, harvesting vegetables from the garden, cutting cardboard. My Microtech sucked at those tasks. Won’t say I’ll never buy another, I’d have to find a slimmer blade however.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by Edm1 View Post
    I just sold my UTX-85. I tried to like it..I really did.. sent it in to have it sharpened because it wasn’t sharp. Got it back and it still didn’t seem sharp. Mine had a drop point blade M390. I found the blade to be thick. I’m used to and prefer thinner blades for slicing. This one wouldn’t. It was cool to play with and seemed well built. But honestly, I use my blades mostly for opening mail, cutting rope, harvesting vegetables from the garden, cutting cardboard. My Microtech sucked at those tasks. Won’t say I’ll never buy another, I’d have to find a slimmer blade however.
    Most OTFs, and Microtechs especially have narrow blades with an acute taper. Double edged ones even more so. My UTX-85 was shaving sharp, and still is. But it’s not a great slicer. I do like having full length plain and serrated edges. That’s useful.

The single edge Guardian Tactical OTFs seem like a good option for a more traditional blade profile.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Edm1 View Post
    makes me feel better about my leanings towards UTX-70. Thinner blade on that one, and application is similar to yours. Basic dad/office shit.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I'm loving my UTX-85. But I do find it difficult to sharpen. The shallow edge grind they chose, along with the fuller in my tanto make it difficult to sharpen a single spot on the blade, I instead need to full-length run it down a stone.

That said an extra fine diamond hone has gotten me shaving sharp, but with a wiry edge. I cannot seem to strop the edge without ruining it though (so I can build a nice burr and knock it down a bit, but not as far as I'd like).

If Microtech made a nice full flat ground utility blade, it would be the ticket.

Somewhat different experience with the UTX-85, it's in my pocket more days than its not. Mine came very sharp and has been very easy to keep sharp on my Sharpmaker. Mine has 204P steel. I am used to Spydercos which are great slicers, but I've had no issue with the Microtech for my uses. I agree that closing an OTF is the real eye opener in terms of actual usefulness; they are cool but when you have to cut some tape you missed on a huge box you are holding up with another person and everyone is waiting while you work the knife, being able to close it and put it away that much faster is really nice.
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    Finally ordered a Combat Troodon.

Site Supporter
    I never should have clicked on this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I never should have clicked on this thread...
    Same; ordered through the MicroTech LE/Mil/Responder program last night. Should be a nice complement to carry.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List