Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Just put down a deposit on a Hawk Deadlock. Marbled carbon fiber, double edge, tumbled titanium. Should be ready in a couple months.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Just put down a deposit on a Hawk Deadlock. Marbled carbon fiber, double edge, tumbled titanium. Should be ready in a couple months.

I've come way close to buying one way too many times.
    Awesome handmade autos.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I suppose here's as good a place as any to ask.

Anyone know where I can find a replacement spring for a 2012 vintage Microtech Makora 2? This thing has a garage door spring in it and damn near takes two hands to fire. Never has "broken in" and I think the overpowered spring is the cause of the knife misfiring relatively often. I think they had a rolling product improvement with a lighter spring somewhere down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I suppose here's as good a place as any to ask.

Anyone know where I can find a replacement spring for a 2012 vintage Microtech Makora 2? This thing has a garage door spring in it and damn near takes two hands to fire. Never has "broken in" and I think the overpowered spring is the cause of the knife misfiring relatively often. I think they had a rolling product improvement with a lighter spring somewhere down the line.
    You can usually find Microtech rebuild kits on eBay.
    Or just send it back to Microtech for service.
    Microtech is a lot like H&K in that their reputation for shitty customer service is way overblown.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Bladeology Podcast Episode 16: Grant & Gavin Hawk discuss the design of the Deadlock OTF.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-95408820...ant-gavin-hawk

Any opinions on Heretic? particularly this model?
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Hereti...Double--115326
    I'm very intrigued by the listed overall thickness of 0.33" but I find it a bit suspect...

Another option claiming only .32" thickness?
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microt...A-OTF-SE--5198
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Out The Front (OTF) knives

I don't have any hands-on experience with Heretic OTFs. It looks like they are a good alternative to Microtech. The blades of the Model S and UTX-70 are a little thin (0.09 and 0.08") for my taste. These are small knives. I find that my UTX-85 is already very small and easy to carry. Do you need to keep the blade below 3"

I do believe the specs. The Ultratech is 0.47” thick, and 70% of that is 0.33”, close to what you saw for the UTX70

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any opinions on Heretic? particularly this model?
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Hereti...Double--115326
    I'm very intrigued by the listed overall thickness of 0.33" but I find it a bit suspect...

Another option claiming only .32" thickness?
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microt...A-OTF-SE--5198
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-27-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don't have any hands-on experience with Heretic OTFs. It looks like they are a good alternative to Microtech. The blades of the Model S and UTX-70 are a little thin (0.09 and 0.08") for my taste. These are small knives. I find that my UTX-85 is already very small and easy to carry. Do you need to keep the blade below 3"

I do believe the specs. The Ultratech is 0.47” thick, and 70% of that is 0.33”, close to what you saw for the UTX70
    Small is the key for me. I’m looking for something interesting to carry IWB in dress pants.

I just wish I could finger bang a couple of these before buying. Don’t want to wind up TOO small. I’m also considering some side-owners but that’s for a different thread...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Got it. When I get a chance, I’ll post a side view similar to post #2 in this thread. I suppose one could remove the pocket clip if that wasn’t needed.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Combat Troodon (fightin size)
    UTX-85 (perfect everyday carry size)
    UTX-70 (it's soooo cute, wife loves it)

Attachment 57012

This thread was a BAD influence on me - I may have just pre-ordered one of these:

Name:  BHUTX85.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  15.9 KB

And yes, I know it's super geeky to get the Mandalorian-themed one; I do not care, it's awesome.

User Tag List