Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone familiar with this vendor? They seem to have a lot of Microtechs in stock when nobody else does, and at good prices.

This is pretty much exact.y what I want. I’d prefer half serrated but I can live without it.
    https://www.dlttrading.com/microtech...lack-blade-828
    Sweet. I have that knife (different colors) in my pocket right now.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Sweet. I have that knife (different colors) in my pocket right now.
    How do you like it? I've considered a 70 for awhile now, but usually just carry my small Sebenza.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    How do you like it? I've considered a 70 for awhile now, but usually just carry my small Sebenza.
    Whoops. Didn’t look carefully enough. I have the full size Ultratech T/e.

Guys, recommendations for an OTF that is easier to move the slider on than a UTX-85?

My mother loves my UTX-85, but doesn't quite have the hand strength to run the switch reliably. Is the 75 any easier? Perhaps a side mounted, instead of spine mounted OTF?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Guys, recommendations for an OTF that is easier to move the slider on than a UTX-85?

My mother loves my UTX-85, but doesn't quite have the hand strength to run the switch reliably. Is the 75 any easier? Perhaps a side mounted, instead of spine mounted OTF?
    Yeah, all the females in my family have to use two thumbs to operate my Microtechs. I'm not sure what to recommend, other than the very expensive but totally awesome G&G Hawk Deadlock. Maybe one of the newer Benchmades or a Guardian?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yeah, all the females in my family have to use two thumbs to operate my Microtechs. I'm not sure what to recommend, other than the very expensive but totally awesome G&G Hawk Deadlock. Maybe one of the newer Benchmades or a Guardian?
    I was looking at the Hogues too. They have a slider with a taller lever that is probably easier to push. But maybe I should think about gravity knives instead. Mom is in Texas where they are legal and a gravity knife would be easier to operate and still have one handed closing (the big thing mom likes about my OTFs).

ETA: Duh - why not just remove the spring from an OTF?
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-01-2022 at 12:15 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have an UTX-85 and like it.

Caveat - OTF’s are fun and have a cool factor. Mine works well for me. That out of the way - they are probably not hard use from what I’ve seen. If you’re cutting things that’ll get debris in them or dirt/grime. It’s just not great and what I mean by that is you get lethargic blade deployment or sometimes sticking/not opening. Which means spraying it down with Rem Oil and cleaning up. That oil also makes it a bit tricky to use it for food prep.

My office dweller life means it’ll probably to continue to work great. But, for the cost of admission (double what my ZT 0350 was) - it was a bit underwhelming over the long haul.

I like the super steel, the blade retention, and I like the knife overall. I will never sell it. However, I was looking for a Troodon and I think I’m good at this point.

I like the idea of another folder like that, but I’m thinking about a small fixed.

I only throw this out as a cautionary tale, I’d say just expect to oil it depending on use and once every 75-90 days for optimal function.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I have an UTX-85 and like it.

Caveat - OTF’s are fun and have a cool factor. Mine works well for me. That out of the way - they are probably not hard use from what I’ve seen. If you’re cutting things that’ll get debris in them or dirt/grime. It’s just not great and what I mean by that is you get lethargic blade deployment or sometimes sticking/not opening. Which means spraying it down with Rem Oil and cleaning up. That oil also makes it a bit tricky to use it for food prep.

My office dweller life means it’ll probably to continue to work great. But, for the cost of admission (double what my ZT 0350 was) - it was a bit underwhelming over the long haul.

I like the super steel, the blade retention, and I like the knife overall. I will never sell it. However, I was looking for a Troodon and I think I’m good at this point.

I like the idea of another folder like that, but I’m thinking about a small fixed.

I only throw this out as a cautionary tale, I’d say just expect to oil it depending on use and once every 75-90 days for optimal function.
    I've owned 5 Microtech OTF's looking for info on the 70 specifically. Thanks though.

Site Supporter
    I've owned 5 Microtech OTF's looking for info on the 70 specifically. Thanks though.
    That makes sense - I just know there were new adopters, etc.

They’re good products, but I figured just throw out something based on what I’m seeing.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I was looking at the Hogues too. They have a slider with a taller lever that is probably easier to push. But maybe I should think about gravity knives instead. Mom is in Texas where they are legal and a gravity knife would be easier to operate and still have one handed closing (the big thing mom likes about my OTFs).

ETA: Duh - why not just remove the spring from an OTF?
    Ask the maker to install a lighter spring for Mom. Speed would be less, but that should not matter. My guess is that they would be happy to help out.

User Tag List