Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Makes sense. But you can get a double edged folder, so that’s a little extra?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Yeah man definitely if you don't live in a jurisdiction where double edged is verboten.

If one want to carry a solid double edge folder (where legal), I would go with this rather than an automatic: Hinderer Knives: Maximus Dagger

No springs, No complicated internals, just a frame lock and a flipper and double edge.

Name:  Hinderer Maximus Dagger, double edged .jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  101.1 KB

That said, I understand perfectly the attraction to the OTF knives, especially the Microtechs because they are really cool. I'm sorely tempted to get one just because :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Name:  otf.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  49.0 KB

Hogue Compound
    Microtech UTX-85
    Microtech Exocet

Double action OTF's for me are primarily utility knives.
    I use my UTX-85 constantly when I'm in the office or warehouse. The one handed instant open and close means less juggling and also means I'm less likely to set my pocket knife down somewhere and lose it.
    The Hogue is a bit larger but being G10 it's also very light weight, not quite as slick of an action as the Microtechs but the deep carry pocket clip makes it lower profile in a pocket.
    The Exocet is a great money clip, I've walked it right through several corporate security checks by placing it "money side up" in the clear plastic tray along with my wallet and keys while I step through the metal detector. The warm body running the screening has never given it a second glance (probably forbidden from actually touching wallets or cash out of liability). The 2" dagger blade isn't much, but better than nothing.

I'm not keen on making any OTF my primary self defense knife, it's too easy to interrupt the deployment.
    Give me a small fixed blade any time it's an option.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I don’t know what happened. Either I blacked out or my card jumped out of my wallet.

Attachment 53559

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I don’t know what happened. Either I blacked out or my card jumped out of my wallet.

Attachment 53559
    P-F Orange! Very nice.

I need to make another trip over the border into Oregon.

Site Supporter
    This thread just cost me $.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    This thread just cost me $.
    Apparently I am good at spending other people's money.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    ... Clusterfrack’s malevolent machinations against my wallet.

I will FUCK UP your wallet. When I'm done with it, there will be nothing but ATM receipts and overdrawn credit cards. Your wallet will be skinnier than a tweaker ho. It won't even have a condom in it because it already reused it 12 times for $5 blow jobs. Your wallet doesn't even remember what a $20 bill looks like.

Just a FYI on using a OTF as a utility knife.
    Tape residue (or really any goo on the blade) is the bane of a OTF's existence, do your best to avoid letting the blade get gummed up and then retracting it.
    If your OTF does get gummed up inside, blast it out with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner, let it drip dry, blow it out with compressed air, then hit it with a very light shot of good lock lubricant like Abus PS-88.
    Good as new without any disassembly.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List