Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Site Supporter
    A month or so ago I posted debating between the UTX-70 and the Troodon Mini as a "J-Frame" OTF. Something small, light, easy to carry all the time. I had went with the UTX-70 and just couldn't warm up to it. The length was good but the handle was just to narrow. It's about the size of a chap stick tube. I ended up selling it and getting the Troodon Mini. Much better for me. Fills the hand better while still completely fitting inside the coin pocket of a pair of jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    My Microtech UTX-85 quit firing without warning last week. Some blasts of non-chlorinated brake cleaner got it working. I think it might be best to do some periodic preventative cleaning on a regular basis. My knife gave no notice that it wasn't working, until it wasn't.
    So far I've only had blow them out with compressed air and oil lightly with a food safe oil (silicone, usually). Which is what the Microtech manual advises.

If I have 2-3 misfires, that's what I do. No big deal with misfires, IMO, as @Clusterfrack noted if the knife doesn't fire, just flick your wrist and sling the blade out.

--
    RE: Size the UTX-85 is the perfect sized knife to me.

Happened across a “deal” on a Deadlock Model C. My initial impression is that it is a rare instance of something that lives up to the hype.

Name:  IMG_5710.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  90.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Happened across a “deal” on a Deadlock Model C. My initial impression is that it is a rare instance of something that lives up to the hype.

Name:  IMG_5710.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  90.2 KB
    Outstanding. Looking forward to hearing more. My Model B is similarly expectation exceeding.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Outstanding. Looking forward to hearing more. My Model B is similarly expectation exceeding.
    Very cool about the Model B. Hopefully someday I will run across one so I can compare the two.

A couple initial thoughts:

Good:
    *Ergos may be the best of any knife I have owned. Size is baby bear just right. No hot spots and seems to work well in multiple holds. And fits well in the pocket. Seems to have reached a nice stage of evolution and is a well thought out design.

*Fit/finish is extremely good.

*Pleasing aesthetics.

*It locks up as solid as any folder I have owned.

*Easiest action on any OTF I have owned.

Meh:
    * I like/don’t like the pocket clip. I like the spring design and that it should help save pockets. It is easy to use and causes no hot spots. And it seems to hold the knife very secure. However, I wish the clip was thinner like a standard stamped clip. Since I have learned to stop caring and love the j-frame, I carry a knife in the back, right pocket and the bulk of the clip can be a bit annoying.

*It could be a bit sharper. I like the hollow grind. And the double edge is highly visually appealing but I think a single edge would work better.

Less Good:
    *Availability. I am largely fine with the direct from maker price. It is well made and I like the fact that it is made in the U.S. It would be nice if the Hawks could upgrade/expand their “factory” so they could produce more of these (along with MUDDs). But seeing what other manufactures are able to do now in terms of CNC machine precision it would appear that these could be more quickly produced. The Hawks have been working towards this but it does not appear they are there yet (and maybe they don’t want to get there).

I’m sure I have forgotten something but at any rate, I am glad to own it and plan to put it to good use.

Way back in 2020 I purchased a Ultratech from the Microtech service personnel program just because I had never had an auto despite being pretty deep into the knife world. I received it, thought it was pretty cool, and promptly put it in my knife drawer. Within the last few months, I've started carrying it and have really come to see it's benefits. Usually if I need a knife at work other than cutting open a box, I need it NOW and usually one handed. There are plenty of folders that fit that bill, but the OTF earn their keep with the one handed closure. They also carry slimmer and will not open accidentally, all pluses in my book. I'm almost embarrassed to say I know have the Ultratech, a UTX-85, 2 Combat Troodons, a L-UDT, and a Guardian Tactical Recon 40. I'd say the bug had bit me hard.
    Last edited by tusk212; 09-07-2023 at 12:51 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I can’t stop breaking stuff. Daily carry Microtech UTX-85 broke. Something in the spring mechanism.

I went to fire it and I heard a click. It will slide in and out with the slider up for out and down for in.

I submitted a case for the knife - I’ll mail it in.

The take away is use a fixed blade if it’s serious self-defense. Or maybe a flipper.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I can’t stop breaking stuff. Daily carry Microtech UTX-85 broke. Something in the spring mechanism.

I went to fire it and I heard a click. It will slide in and out with the slider up for out and down for in.

I submitted a case for the knife - I’ll mail it in.

The take away is use a fixed blade if it’s serious self-defense. Or maybe a flipper.
    Will the blade lock open by inertia?

Approx how many cycles on the action?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Will the blade lock open by inertia?

Approx how many cycles on the action?
    Thousands. I can’t even fathom a guess - I’d say north of 10,000.

If you push the slider forward - it does act as basically a gravity blade and stay out (sometimes).

I like the OTF knife don’t get me wrong. But if it’s serious usage - I carry a clinch pick and received a Winkler belt knife for my birthday.

I’ll see if I can post a video if that would be helpful. Microtech has a lifetime warranty - so no issues. I just want to set realistic expectations for folks and report data.

ETA:

When you pull the slider back it will usually retract. It was stuck open tonight for a short time. I went ahead and filed a warranty claim. I consider Microtech one of the best if not the best OTF knife makers - I’m just giving feedback on my limited scope.

I carried a ZT 350 (lost it) for 8+ years and its spring assisted part of the flipper greatly fatigued. But, you could still easily flip it open with the flipper or thumb studs.

You just have to know the limitations of a particular design. OTF are a more complex knife and design.
    Last edited by BWT; 09-25-2023 at 09:25 PM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Thousands. I can’t even fathom a guess - I’d say north of 10,000.

If you push the slider forward - it does act as basically a gravity blade and stay out (sometimes).

I like the OTF knife don’t get me wrong. But if it’s serious usage - I carry a clinch pick and received a Winkler belt knife for my birthday.

I’ll see if I can post a video if that would be helpful. Microtech has a lifetime warranty - so no issues. I just want to set realistic expectations for folks and report data.
    That's a decent number of cycles. My OTFs get an average of no more than 1 cycle per day, so hopefully I'll be ok for a while.

Thanks for testing the failure mode for us. Your observations confirm what I suspected after looking over the mechanical design: mainspring failure will still allow the knife to be used as a gravity blade because the locking gates are independent from the mainspring. I think that makes it a good serious use knife--better than some folders that won't lock open if the locking bar spring breaks.

Of course, fixed blades FTW in general.

User Tag List