Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    Nice, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the knife
    for general usage / edc tasks
    Right off the bat, it's really difficult to get out of my pocket without a lanyard. And the lanyard loop isn't big enough for paracord. Luckily I have some microcord that I can attach a paracord lanyard with. I haven't gotten around to that yet so I haven't been carrying it. It's pretty light so that's nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Right off the bat, it's really difficult to get out of my pocket without a lanyard. And the lanyard loop isn't big enough for paracord. Luckily I have some microcord that I can attach a paracord lanyard with. I haven't gotten around to that yet so I haven't been carrying it. It's pretty light so that's nice.
    Is that because it's slippery? I added DragonGrips decals to mine.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD5XRXF
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Is that because it's slippery? I added DragonGrips decals to mine.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD5XRXF
    It just sits really low in the pocket and there's hardly anything to grab. I suppose something like that might help but the knife looks so damn good that I'd rather leave it alone.

Edit: Gutted paracord can be worked through the lanyard hole so I gave it a small lanyard. I also realized the pocket clip was really tight (which is good for a knife this expensive) so I gave it just a little bend so it wasn't so tight on the pants I tend to wear most of the time. I still not used to getting it out quick but I do like it a lot more than my swing-out auto.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 02-05-2022 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    It just sits really low in the pocket and there's hardly anything to grab. I suppose something like that might help but the knife looks so damn good that I'd rather leave it alone.
    I just discovered that the decals come in clear.

Microtech Ultratech action job

NOTE: opening your knife will void the warranty. Do not proceed unless you are comfortable handing small fiddly parts that cannot be replaced if lost.

My new-to-me Ultratech had a heavy and somewhat rough action (especially on opening), so I decided to try improving the action. I used a triangle bit from Amazon, sold by BladeHQ, and this disassembly video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKwAQE8GAX0

It's important to keep the tool perfectly vertical so you don't bugger the aluminum surrounding the screws.

Note how the angled "disconnector" at the rear of the slider interfaces with the rear sear. This is what affects the smoothness of the opening action.

Here is the rear "disco" circled in red:
    Name:  IMG_8923.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  56.7 KB

The rear disco was very roughly machined.

I polished it with a rotary tool, so machining marks are just barely visible.
    Name:  IMG_8925.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  34.0 KB

Reassembly was easy because I did not remove the sears. The action was noticeably improved! Note: do not overtighten the screws. There was some residual Loctite on the threads, so I just left it and reinstalled.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-09-2022 at 02:36 PM.

If, like me, you have a hard time understanding the Microtech sizes, this might help.

Name:  081C9575-B2BD-4998-9AAD-2AD54334C2CC.png
Views: 550
Size:  72.6 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If, like me, you have a hard time understanding the Microtech sizes, this might help.

Name:  081C9575-B2BD-4998-9AAD-2AD54334C2CC.png
Views: 550
Size:  72.6 KB
    In case it’s helpful - UTX-70, UTX-85, and G19 for scale. I don’t have any of the bigger knives to compare.

Name:  211BA075-E58D-4997-92C7-E59DFE6D930C.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  95.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I just discovered that the decals come in clear.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-11-2022 at 03:06 PM.

Site Supporter
    I was at my local range yesterday to pick up my latest pistol acquisition, and while waiting for the seller I asked a salesman if I could play with one of the UTF-85s. Big mistake. I immediately saw the attraction that you guys have been talking about. I reluctantly handed it back and said I don't need it since I can't carry it in our state (VA). The salesman smiles and tells me that autos will become legal to carry in July. Great.

So now I'm trying do decide which one to get, and I see there's a Signature Series II. Do any of you guys have experience with these? Is there an appreciable difference in fit/finish, and do the milled areas provide better grip? Also, thoughts on tanto vs drop point? Defense is low on the list, and since you guys have reported it's not the best slicer, which shape do you prefer for general utility and re-sharpening in the context of what you use this knife for? I know tantos are typically considered behind a drop point when it comes to full sized do-all fixed blades.

Out The Front (OTF) knives

@757_Magnum, I haven't had hands on the Microtech Signature Series II, but they look nice. I like the more aggressive texture on the grip. But on the other hand, the smooth grip panels take Dragongrip decals really well. I'm skeptical that components and build quality are significantly different. MT has their premium Marfione line, which have more hand-tooling and are much more expensive. At that price point, I would (and did) buy a Hawk Deadlock.

I understand the utility of a drop point for slicing, but I just don't like that blade shape. For example, I don't like how drop points cut rope. I prefer a Wharncliffe or Tanto, and other knife people give me crap about that. The UT tanto is among my favorite blade profiles. I have it in my pocket now.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-22-2022 at 07:18 PM.

User Tag List