Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Out The Front (OTF) knives

This thread is for discussing everything about OTF’s. Let’s see your knives, and talk about functionality, reliability, tradeoffs relative to conventional folders / fixed blades, and the best uses for them.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

My motivation for an OTF was for support side carry in a Clinch Pick role. Here’s a size comparison (from right): Microtech UTX-85, Spyderco P’Kal, Clinch Pick.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-06-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My motivation for an OTF was for support side carry in a Clinch Pick role. Here’s a size comparison (from right): Microtech UTX-85, Spyderco P’Kal, Clinch Pick.
    Have you sliced your thumb trying to retract the blade? I want a UTX-85 pretty bad but right now, the only ones available are D/E and the idea of placing my thumb that close to the blade gives me the heebie jeebies.

ETA: What blade steel did you get?

I’ve had zero problems with it so far. I really don’t worry about cutting myself—in fact, it seems less of an issue to close an OTF than many folders. Being able to have a D/E seems like a big advantage of the OTF.

My knife came with m390, which I like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I have those exact same three knives, except my Microtech is red. I have discovered it's really useful for opening things one handed, and that it's like a fidget spinner for adults. The problem is I don't know how useful it actually is for opening people. I need to get a trainer and do EWO

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    ... I need to get a trainer and do EWO
    Is there a trainer? That would be really useful.

I've done well with a support side waved folder in training, so I expect the OTF would be no worse, unless something fouled the blade as it opened. I like that you can operate it from any body position. The wave openers are a challenge from guard or similar positions.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-06-2020 at 12:56 PM.

I didn't even think to look if they made a trainer, which apparently they do not. However! This company: https://ravencresttactical.com/produ...vo-otf-knives/ makes cheap Micrcotech knock-offs, and they also sell a training blade for it: https://ravencresttactical.com/shop/...raining-blade/

So if you're willing to spend $150 to get a trainer, you can. And also not worry about breaking it during EWO

Haven’t poked anyone with it yet.

Name:  F570B5AF-9DFC-4962-86AA-D6A3E5A30305.jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  87.6 KB

I looked at the Ravens Crest copy just now, but $100 for a Chinese knife with a zinc alloy handle seems steep.

I saw my first OTF in a souk in Amman, Jordan when I was a kid. I’ve never gotten over that initial hit of "how cool is that!”

Pros: Cool AF; relatively safe for fingers; DE in a folder; fun
    Cons: Heavy AF; chunky; complex; harder to maintain; blade wobble; expensive at every quality/price point

They’re the Bisley Blackhawk .44 special of the cutlery world: if you want one of these boat anchors for a super cool adult fidget spinner, then by all means... but there are way better options for edc.

User Tag List