Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

95% of my knife use is for cutting up food or opening boxes. So, while I want a utx 85 from what I read here I think I’ll be annoyed at having to clean it all the time before closing it up. What am I missing here? Is it more than just the cool factor that makes people love these so much?

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    95% of my knife use is for cutting up food or opening boxes. So, while I want a utx 85 from what I read here I think I’ll be annoyed at having to clean it all the time before closing it up. What am I missing here? Is it more than just the cool factor that makes people love these so much?
    Advantages: Double-edged, versatile grip, rapid deployment, lightweight.

Disadvantages: complex mechanism, requires cleaning, sensitive to sand/dust, steep bevels, expensive.

Others want to add/comment?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-26-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I have a double edge Troodon that I use for all the domestic chores that include cutting (I believe it would be illegal for carry so it stays in my home sweat pants). I have used it for those purposes for about a year now and only once had I to blow in it (to clear dust) because the blade didn't fully come out (haven't needed to resharpen it either).

Still, I could use any of my manual Spydercos for the same purposes. The cool factor matters is that, whenever I pull it out and open it for some purpose or other (last one was cutting open the bag of cat litter), it makes me smile.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Advantages: Double-edged, versatile grip, rapid deployment, lightweight.

Disadvantages: complex mechanism, requires cleaning, sensitive to sand/dust, steep bevels, expensive.

Others want to add/comment?
    If your thumb is injured or weak, it's near impossible to deploy with any type of speed.

I'm generally faster and smoother while manually opening a Spyderco with it's big hole.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    If your thumb is injured or weak, it's near impossible to deploy with any type of speed.

I'm generally faster and smoother while manually opening a Spyderco with it's big hole.
    Great points. The Deadlock is the only OTF I’ve been able to actuate with little effort or with my index finger. And that’s definitely an enthusiasts knife.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter

Sharpening UTX85

I'm enjoying my UTX85. One edge is serrated and the other is plain. Someday, when I've carved open enough envelopes or stabbed enough commies in the face, it will require sharpening. Any suggested tools and/or sharpening techniques? This is my only double-edge dagger style blade. I do have a Spyderco Sharpmaker, a Ken Onion Work Sharp, and a diamond "stone" or two. I'm just not sure how to best sharpen a dagger-style blade. Thanks!

95% of my OTF knife use is having it make a schnick-schnick noise when I open and close it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I'm enjoying my UTX85. One edge is serrated and the other is plain. Someday, when I've carved open enough envelopes or stabbed enough commies in the face, it will require sharpening. Any suggested tools and/or sharpening techniques? This is my only double-edge dagger style blade. I do have a Spyderco Sharpmaker, a Ken Onion Work Sharp, and a diamond "stone" or two. I'm just not sure how to best sharpen a dagger-style blade. Thanks!

1) Sharpen one side.

2) Sharpen other side. (The Sharpmaker will sharpen the serrations.)

Site Supporter
    I don’t cut food with mine, but I do use it for all other domestic chores. I’m several months in with nothing more than wiping the blade on my jeans to get some tape gunk off.

Just found my UTX-85 a big brother. Couldn’t pass up a lightly used Ultratech UMS for 2 bills. She’ll be here Tuesday.
    Name:  139CA524-9BB2-4CA4-B38F-CBDDC6ACDD5B.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  78.0 KB

User Tag List