Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brave web browser

Brave web browser

Is faaaast. Recommended.
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Giving it a try now. Me gusto.

I've used it since soon after launch, both mobile and pc. It's a pretty good browser. Built in site-by-site adblock is nice, more granularity than I need for scripts, cross-site cookies, trackers, etc. It's nice to see exactly what a given site is running under the hood.

Example of a minimally intrusive site:
    Name:  pf brave shields.JPG
Views: 639
Size:  36.5 KB

Tom Jones and I had a brief interaction about it a few years back on this very site; he wasn't a big fan, and I think his reasons were sound.

The newest version has it's own internal ads every few minutes (swipe away at the top of the phone, or in the lower right corner for winders). Dislike it, but I'm using a free brower for free.

Brave is the only browser that even pretends to care about supporting your privacy. Some outfit posted a comparison recently, fairly high profile, so I'm sure it's searchable.

Been using it on PC and Android for about a year now. It is indeed fast, the ad-blocker works well, and it still seems to be compatible with everything that claims to work on Chrome (I know, I know, it has the same core, but "Guerrera" said that if the browser didn't say "Chrome" it wasn't Chrome. I said it was [basically]. It's worked for her so far [*whew*].)

Also put it on daughter's (school) laptop. She loves it.

Caveat 1: I have noticed that it does break the occasional website, but turn the "shields" off and you're good to go.

Caveat 2: If your company is anal-retentive like mine, they may not allow it. I got gigged for having it on my work computers because it has built-in TOR functionality, which the company said had the potential for letting out sensitive intellectual property.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

How does it compare to duckduckgo?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
    Good overview and comparison of these two here:

https://technicalustad.com/brave-vs-duckduckgo/

Been using for about a month or two I dig it. Really fast if not connected to the VPN. Maybe I just need to switch servers or services.

Site Supporter
    I use it on my phone, but not my PC. I ran into a few issues with it on my PC (don't recall exactly what now). It may have been a "workflow" issue in how I like my browsers to manage settings or something.

It's my preferred browser on the phone though.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
    I couldn't tell you, I didn't know that duckduckgo had a browser.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I couldn't tell you, I didn't know that duckduckgo had a browser.
    I don't know what that article purports to be about: comparing a browser to a search engine? My whiskey tango foxtrot sense is tingling.

User Tag List