Thread: Podcast/article on phased reopening of BJJ/MA gyms...

Podcast/article on phased reopening of BJJ/MA gyms...

From Kesting; a interview and plan from a sports med doc/BJJ black belt:

https://www.grapplearts.com/openingupbjj/#

Written guidelines in the above link, if you scroll down, and the podcast is on all the typical outlets, sticher, apple, et al. Here it is on the 'tube...

Site Supporter
    Well fuck me. So much for improving my BJJ game anytime in the next two or three years.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The level of ridiculousness on that is stunning. Do we need to be careful? Absolutely. Do we need to take all the reasonable precautions that we can? Without a doubt. But those things are absurd, especially since it implies that all areas are the same and have the same issues and needs as every other area. A jiujitsu academy in NYC is going to be doing things differently than one in San Antonio or some area that has a had far less hit. 90% of schools will not have the manpower of the money to do some of those things.

Not to downplay precautions that are needed, but that stretches credulity.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    Is the number of people training BJJ per capita, even in a large metropolitan area, enough to trigger a significant resurgence?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Is the number of people training BJJ per capita, even in a large metropolitan area, enough to trigger a significant resurgence?

I sincerely doubt it. If an academy does not have a significant communicable disease issue before (i.e. few cases of passing passing ringworm, impetigo, colds, flus, etc), this is not going to change. If the school has poor hygiene practices before, they most likely will after, but that is on them. And even in Phoenix, with a huge population and lots of schools, the population that trains is not going to make a statistical impact on the overall numbers statewide, especially when we have not been hit that hard.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

As much as I respect Kesting, thats a crazy plan.

No one is going to pay academy rates to solo drill, few if any schools are financialy sustainable with 50% capacity...the guy is completely out to lunch.

If that plan is "The Plan"...the whole sport is going to go back to meatheads rolling in garage and basement gyms running three nights a week just to keep the lights on and buy the coach beer money.

User Tag List