Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerber Fastball with frame screws that won't stay in

Site Supporter

Gerber Fastball with frame screws that won't stay in

My buddy at work is bit of a knife/watch/gun guy as well. Bought himself a Spyderco Para, A Benchmade Bugout and the Gerber Fastball. He went Gerber given his thoughts/feelings re quality of old and the fact this particular knife is made in the USA.

As the title states, the screw will not stay in that fasten the handle. Gerber says they cannot repair, will be replacing it for free and he DOES NOT have to even send thr broken on in.

I have not yet been able to examine screws or screw holes re thread issues etc.

I have pondered original screws and foil from candy packaging etc to new screws slathered in loctite, JB Weld etc. as a possible solution

Thought re a functional fix are most welcome.

The intended use for this knife will likely now be desk drawer or glove box etc.

THX

What does "won't stay in" mean? They loosen over time? The screw threads don't even grip the handle threads? Sorry, not much info to go on!

We need some pics if possible. Has he tried loctite?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Thxs for the replies to date. Pics not possible at this time.

I am told they do not thread up very tight and the come loose as soon as the knife is opened and closed a few times.

No Loctite etc tried to date. Immediate pivot to Gerber Warranty Office and their stand up response outlined in the OP.

Try one of the tougher Loctites. If not, measure out the tiny screws, order next size up online. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Could they be a bit too long? I've cut a thread or two off scope mounting screws for that reason.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Try one of the tougher Loctites. If not, measure out the tiny screws, order next size up online. Seems a no-brainer to me.
    This was my thought as well

And....what is the point of this thread? It is a product that the vast majority of people will not purchase? It is a warranty issue.

Site Supporter
    Navin:

The point of the thread was patently clear to all those who posted before you. (Thank you again btw.)

The point was to solicit input from those with training/knowledge/experience/ideas re how to keep frames screws from backing out of a Gerber Fastball knife well enough for light duty/secondary use.

There was NO ISSUE whatsoever re a warranty claim as it was made patently clear that Gerber was going to replace the knife for free without the original knife even having to be returned.

In sum, if you have an idea on how to keep these frame screws in the knife, I would really like to hear it.
    Otherwise, how about you open a instacart delivered can of “I’ll refrain from posting in a thread where I have nothing constructive to offer” drink and take a big gulp?

If plain old JB weld and a few days of curing won't work, it would seem that going the oversized screw direction is a good one. I would make sure the new screws have fine pitched threads and re-tap the holes.

Another thought is that maybe the original screws are just soft. The knife may have been made in the US but the screws could be sourced from a mediocre supplier. I remember reading that Benchmade bought their own screw machines because their sources couldn't consistently supply a screw that would meet their needs.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 05-06-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List