Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Non-mainstream calibers

Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson ! When did the .356 TSW come into play?
    The .356 was a perplexing offering. Apparently, S&W released it as a gaming cartridge as an alternate for making major. I guess they assumed that Limited would be going to a 10 round limit, due to the recently introduced federal AWB. Also, they must of missed the part where .40 caliber or larger is required to make major in limited division. It's unfortunate they didn't try and market this as a new self defense round, as it was offered during the time where much of LE wanted "more" than 9x19. It could have offered the ballistics of .357 Sig or better, at the same time offering the same magazine capacity as 9mm, which almost always greater than .357 Sig / .40 Capacity in the same firearm.

One can get a 9x23 barrel fitted to a super. I can recall some saying that one can shoot a 9x23 in a .38 super barrel since the 9x23 case is stronger than the super but it's not something I would do. I have fired and reloaded .38 super comp and .38TJ in my super without issue, the cases are often mixed in with the super brass. I try to weed them out since the super case holder doesn't hold them very well. I recall reading many years ago that the original 9x23 cases were made by cutting down .223 rifle brass which would make them very strong indeed. About 25 years ago my LGS had a Colt 9x23 government model in the case with several boxes of Winchester ammo. It wasn't selling and they were trying to move it, I thought about it but passed on the rare ammo factor. If only my present day self could go back and whisper in my younger ear...
    True 9x23 should not be shot in a .38 Super. In a well fit .38 super barrel, it wouldn't run properly. The 9x23 is a tapered case, where as .38 super is a straight walled case, and the barrels (should) have chambers to match accordingly. I say "true", since a lot of guys running 9 super comp started sizing more like .38 super in hopes of squeezing that one more round in their "big sticks".

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The .356 was a perplexing offering. Apparently, S&W released it as a gaming cartridge as an alternate for making major. I guess they assumed that Limited would be going to a 10 round limit, due to the recently introduced federal AWB. Also, they must of missed the part where .40 caliber or larger is required to make major in limited division. It's unfortunate they didn't try and market this as a new self defense round, as it was offered during the time where much of LE wanted "more" than 9x19. It could have offered the ballistics of .357 Sig or better, at the same time offering the same magazine capacity as 9mm, which almost always greater than .357 Sig / .40 Capacity in the same firearm.
    Isn't it a 9x21 also ?

Isn't it a 9x21 also ?
    It's slightly longer, 9x21.5 IIRC.

The thing is, the original intent of 9x21 was to allow for 9x19 guns be easily modified for a new round that wasn't a "military cartridge", since several countries don't allow civilians to use such. A Beretta 98 (a 92 in 9x21) is not the same as my Caspian 9x21 (which was built for much higher pressures), even though the casing has the same dimensions. Commercial 9x21 mimics a 9x19 in velocity / performance / etc.

In a wise move, S&W made the case a little longer to prevent it's use in such guns like the Beretta 98, kind of like what was done to prevent the .357 Magnum from being fired in a .38 Special.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    It's slightly longer, 9x21.5 IIRC.

The thing is, the original intent of 9x21 was to allow for 9x19 guns be easily modified for a new round that wasn't a "military cartridge", since several countries don't allow civilians to use such. A Beretta 98 (a 92 in 9x21) is not the same as my Caspian 9x21 (which was built for much higher pressures), even though the casing has the same dimensions. Commercial 9x21 mimics a 9x19 in velocity / performance / etc.

In a wise move, S&W made the case a little longer to prevent it's use in such guns like the Beretta 98, kind of like what was done to prevent the .357 Magnum from being fired in a .38 Special.
    OK, based on the rules of the day it makes sense. Thanks.

I frequently contemplate a lever action/single action combo in .327 Federal. It’d cover a lot of bases really well and be cheap to feed if reloading. Richard Mann’s fault... https://empty-cases.com/blog/my-precious/

But this far, I haven’t made the leap.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    I frequently contemplate a lever action/single action combo in .327 Federal. It’d cover a lot of bases really well and be cheap to feed if reloading. Richard Mann’s fault... https://empty-cases.com/blog/my-precious/

But this far, I haven’t made the leap.
    From day one I always imagined the .327 in the Single Six frame would be a dandy little revolver. Hopefully they're still making them whenever I get around to buying a Single Seven. If someone made a lever gun that was proportional to the cartridge I might be interested. Or maybe if Ruger would do a 77/327. Probably not since the .357 and .44 versions were already discontinued and brought back, I doubt they're big sellers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    From day one I always imagined the .327 in the Single Six frame would be a dandy little revolver. Hopefully they're still making them whenever I get around to buying a Single Seven. If someone made a lever gun that was proportional to the cartridge I might be interested. Or maybe if Ruger would do a 77/327. Probably not since the .357 and .44 versions were already discontinued and brought back, I doubt they're big sellers.
    I fired one of the Single Sevens in .327, or .32 H&R, whatever it was they made them in. Truly was a nifty idea and fun little gun to shoot. Guy had a pair of them.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    From day one I always imagined the .327 in the Single Six frame would be a dandy little revolver. Hopefully they're still making them whenever I get around to buying a Single Seven.
    Another Ruger revolver I'd already have if they made it in the right configuration. Bisley, stainless, the right barrel length.

It's where I think Ruger may be missing the boat with their "Custom Shop." If they allowed you to special order your own Mr. Potatohead gun assembled from parts they already build, with no other custom work other than maybe ensuring it's actually put together right the first time, that would still be a worthy custom shop.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List