Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-mainstream calibers

Non-mainstream calibers

I remember growing up spending hours looking at shooting magazines and books. Many would have a picture of all the known rifle cartridges lined up side by side from smallest to largest. I didn’t memorize them all or anything, but a few always impressed me with their names only.

The two which somehow still stick in my head are 218 Bee and 257 Roberts (I’m sure there were others too).

All of my rifles are rather mainstream. 7mm Mag, 308, 6.5 CM. Two of mine are somewhat less mainstream 7mm-08 and 25-06, but those are still easy to get ammo for and still many rifles are being made with those chamberings.

Anyone shoot a more esoteric caliber routinely?

Any good 257 Roberts or 218 Bee stories?

cc

I killed my first Antelope with a .257 Roberts. Great cartridge for that.

My first deer was shot with a .30-40 Krag. One of the biggest bull elk ever killed in the state of Colorado was killed with a .30-40 Krag in the early 1900's. My dad gave me that rifle a couple of years ago. It is a sporterized Steyr M95. Cool old gun. I don't shoot it frequently, but a little.

Killed my first elk with a .375 H&H mag, first bear with a .284 Winchester.

Edit. I didn’t word that very well. My .30-40 is not the one that killed the record bull, just the one I killed my first deer with.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 05-04-2020 at 11:19 AM.

As I get older and my interest in recoil wanes, I'd consider the .257 Roberts, but the 6.5 Creedmoor offers nearly all of its advantages and is far more available. If you want stories, then head over to 24hourcampfire.com. The .257 Roberts is alive and well over there.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I killed my first Antelope with a .257 Roberts. Great cartridge for that.

My first deer was shot with a .30-40 Krag. One of the biggest bull elk ever killed in the state of Colorado was killed with a .30-40 Krag in the early 1900's. My dad gave me that rifle a couple of years ago. It is a sporterized Steyr M95. Cool old gun. I don't shoot it frequently, but a little.

Killed my first elk with a .375 H&H mag, first bear with a .284 Winchester.
    Cool!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    As I get older and my interest in recoil wanes, I'd consider the .257 Roberts, but the 6.5 Creedmoor offers nearly all of its advantages and is far more available. If you want stories, then head over to 24hourcampfire.com. The .257 Roberts is alive and well over there.

Okie John
    Are you shooting the 6.5 nowadays?

I too am less interested in recoil than I used to be.

Thanks for info on 24hourcampfire.

cc

I’ve long wanted a 257, either in a Ruger 77 or a No. 1 with the Mannlicher stock. Living in Ohio I wouldn’t have much opportunity to use it though unless I was able to hunt out of state.

Anyone shoot a more esoteric caliber routinely?

All the time. Mostly PRS stuff: 6x47 Lapua, 6mmBR, 6mmBRA, 224 Predator, 223 Improved. Some normal chamberings like 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 284 Winchester, 223, 300BLK. I handload, so all of those calibers are easy. But they can get interesting when you are discussing which reamer was used on your chamber, neck turning, headspace, custom sizing dies, bullet jump and more. Now I have several barrels for each action/rifle, and can swap as desired.

I’ve fallen wayyyy down the rabbit hole.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I’ve long wanted a 257, either in a Ruger 77 or a No. 1 with the Mannlicher stock. Living in Ohio I wouldn’t have much opportunity to use it though unless I was able to hunt out of state.
    They still make those Rugers in .257?

I'm not very familiar with Ohio, why wouldn't. 257 work well there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    They still make those Rugers in .257?

I'm not very familiar with Ohio, why wouldn't. 257 work well there?

Thanks
    I don’t think they still make those configurations.

Ohio doesn’t allow bottleneck rifle cartridges for deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post

Ohio doesn’t allow bottleneck rifle cartridges for deer hunting.
    Interesting, I didn't know that.
    What's the reasoning for that?

Thanks

User Tag List