Thread: Accuracy and consistency with Modified Glock Backstap

Accuracy and consistency with Modified Glock Backstap

Looking for some advice,

I have been shooting glocks for years, ever since the Gen4 has come out I have been using them with out any of the backstraps attached. I picked up a gen 5 MOS 19, mounted an optic on it. I was reviewing TLGs old Glock thread on Pistol-training .com and came across his test with the Grip force adaptor. Out of curiosity I cut down my medium backstrap with the beaver tail making my own GFA. I conducted several drills, and found my groups were tighter and more consistent with the modified backstrap. The pistol feels better in my hand without the backstrap attached but my drills say I am more consistent with the backstrap. I modified my training Gen 4 G-19s (Dawson Sights) medium backstrap and during dry fire the front sight presented much more consitent than without. Has any one else run across this issue?

Site Supporter
    That “feels” lie ? Yeah.

I normally recommend the owner of any gun try measurable standards with all available grip/back strap sizes and choose the one that gives the best performance.

I shoot G17/45s best with the medium beavertail and the G19 best with a large or a Grip Force Adaptor (GFA).

Along those lines, for those who might read this later, a cut down factory beavertail does not exactly equal a GFA.

The GFA fills in more of the arch under the beavertail making it more equivalent to a large back strap size-wise and actually changes the grip angle to make it feel more like a pistol with a more conventional grip angle.

what struck me as odd, is that the gun felt better in my hand without any backstraps, however during drills then gun shot better with the modified Medium backstrap with beaver tail

Yes, “feels” do lie to us.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That “feels” lie ? Yeah.

I normally recommend the owner of any gun try measurable standards with all available grip/back strap sizes and choose the one that gives the best performance.

I shoot G17/45s best with the medium beavertail and the G19 best with a large or a Grip Force Adaptor (GFA).

Along those lines, for those who might read this later, a cut down factory beavertail does not exactly equal a GFA.

The GFA fills in more of the arch under the beavertail making it more equivalent to a large back strap size-wise and actually changes the grip angle to make it feel more like a pistol with a more conventional grip angle.
    I don't shoot my G19 any better with the GFA but I DO like shooting it better with it installed.

Site Supporter
    I've cut the large back strap on my G34.5 it seems pretty close the the GFA on my G19.3.

When I started using my G41 for an in door target league I got the GFA for that then as I got more Glocks figured may as well be consistent.

I just started shooting matches so I have nothing to compare GFA vs non GFA. I'm still working on so many other aspects that is the least of my worries right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 07-02-2020 at 06:38 AM.

Yep, I think 'feels good' is a starting point. How you shoot it is the real test. I am convinced that, while shooting, the gun moves in our hands more than maybe we think it does. When I first got my M9A3 Beretta it felt fine. I got it mainly as an experiment w/ the straight grip backstrap vs the traditional hump grip. This would be somewhat similar to your Glock w/o the backstrap. The first mag worth of shots were all low. I thought that kind of makes sense because the Beretta 92 hump has the majority of it's thickness in the lower half of the grip. So I figured that helped point the gun a little higher. I shot a couple more mags worth, realized I could easily adapt, but why bother, as all our other 92s have the traditional grip. So I installed the optional grip that came w/ the gun and all was well. My wife carries a Gen4 G19. We both shoot it fine but neither of us likes it much. I bought a Beretta PX4 compact thinking it might be a good replacement for the G19. But she shoots it to the right. Three range trips and she still does. I have no problem w/ it. She can shoot it straight if she really concentrates. Our main range guns are Beretta 92s and every other gun we try gets shot the same day alternating w/ them. So any problems w/ another gun get compared to a 92 within 5 minutes or so. She shoots the PX4 to the right, sets it down and picks up her 92, and shoots straight. There isn't anything wrong w/ the PX4 but it simply doesn't work in her hand.

User Tag List