Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Frame Grip Recommendation for Large Hands

J Frame Grip Recommendation for Large Hands

Currently running the crimson trace grips and they just do not work for me. Before I give up on the j frame I figure I should try some other grips. I wear an xl glove and my fingers are pretty long. My issue has been my thumb either hitting the cylinder release (tearing it up) or my trigger finger hitting my off hand so I think my issues can potentially be solved by different grips.

What are your recommendations?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....rame-grip-hack

My hands work well with a USP 45. The above setup is the best I've found for J frames.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I wear an xl glove and my fingers are pretty long.
    Same here, my solution was an LCR.

The Taurus boot grips will fit a J frame. The covered back strap and palm swells alter the geometry of the grip just a hair. For me, when firing full power .38, this minimizes thumb cutting from an Airweight's cylinder release and contact with the off hand while still allowing for pocket carry. They do have metal inserts. You either need to drill a hole through the inserts to accommodate a Smith's grip pin or just remove the grip pin.

https://www.shoptaurus.com/revolver-...r-grip-5-20880

If pocket carry isn't a concern then Pachymayr, Hogue, and others make full size grips for the J that really eliminate the issues but at that point you are into waist carry and might be better suited to stepping up to a larger pistol.

The other option in J's is to go all steel. I've never had thumb cutting in a 23 ounce J. It's more an Airweight thing for me at least.

The Pachmayr Compac is "fat" and covers the backstrap.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003961365

The Compac Pro is smaller and does not cover the backstrap.

I have size L gloves and could never make the standard boots work. Not enough trigger reach. I would hit my strong-hand thumb with my trigger finger before the trigger was all the way back.

I sawed off the pinky of an Uncle Mikes Combat stocks to make a boot with a 1/4” backstrap. Better trigger reach.

As for the trigger finger hitting any digits on my off-hand, I avoid that through grip. I shoot revolvers with a thumb-over-thumb grip, with my strong hand (right) thumb curdled tightly against the left-hand stock, and the distal phalange of my left thumb clamped on the proximal phalange of my right thumb. I have never been able to feel glued to the gun with a stacked-distal grip, and on a J frame, my trigger finger ends up hitting my left thumb at the end of the stroke.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Same here, my solution was an LCR.
    That's what I ended up doing also.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Currently running the crimson trace grips and they just do not work for me. Before I give up on the j frame I figure I should try some other grips. I wear an xl glove and my fingers are pretty long. My issue has been my thumb either hitting the cylinder release (tearing it up) or my trigger finger hitting my off hand so I think my issues can potentially be solved by different grips.

What are your recommendations?
    You're not alone, so Crimson Trace does make some larger grips also.

https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...sson_model=323

Site Supporter
    I ended up with the Hogue on my 642, though the Taurus boot grip works well too. I haven't tried pocket carry, too much stuff in my pockets already.

Bottom left. Nill grips for J-frame. Also tames hand-web pain and muzzle-flip. Not cheap.

Name:  M&P340 & 640Pro left quarter.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  66.1 KB

User Tag List