Thread: Week 370: Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test

Week 370: Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test

Week 370: Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test

Results may be posted until June 1st, 2020.

Designed by: Tom Givens
    Range: 3-25 yards
    Target: See below
    Start position: Holstered, unless otherwise specified
    Rounds fired: 40

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    ...when I designed this my goal was to test a balance of speed and precision. I firmly believe that the ability to fire a nice tight fist sized group is great unless it takes you too long to do so and you get shot before you get your rounds off. I also firmly believe that spraying rounds lightning quick but sloppily is just as bad. What I'm looking for is adequate accuracy delivered very quickly.
    Target: IALEFI - QP, modified IDPA, or USPSA Metric. There is going to be some variation here since we don't all have the same targets. Ideally, there will approximately be an 8" circle in the high chest surrounded by a "C-zone", and a ~4" circle in the head, surrounded by a roughly 6x6" head box. For the purposes of the Drill of the Week, you may also use a USPSA Metric target, just understand that the lower A-zone goes lower and is a little larger overall than the intended 8" circle, and the upper A-zone is smaller than the intended ~4" circle.

IALEFI - QP: The 8" circle in body and ~4" circle in head are 5 points. The rest of the head and the rest of the 'bottle' are 3 points. Everywhere else is 0 points.

IDPA: Add a ~4" circle to the head. The 8" circle in the body and the ~4" circle in the head are 5 points. The -1 zone in the body and the head box outside the ~4" circle are 3 points. The -3 zone is 0 points.

USPSA Metric: The lower and upper A-zones are 5 points. The B and C-zones are 3 points. The D-zone is 0 points.

Record your time for each string.

String 1 @ 3 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 4 body.
    String 2 @ 5 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 3 body and 2 head.
    String 3 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in strong hand only, shoot 4 body.
    String 4 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in support hand only, shoot 5 body.
    String 5 @ 7 yards: Draw and shoot 6 body.
    String 6 @ 7 yards: Start with gun at ready loaded with exactly 3 rounds. Shoot 3 body, reload, and shoot 3 body.
    String 7 @ 10 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body.
    String 8 @ 15 yards: Draw and shoot 4 body.
    String 9 @ 25 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body.

Scoring:

Add up your total time
    Add up your total points
    Divide your points by your time, then multiply by 20 to calculate your Final Score.

80 - 100 = Very Good
    100 - 124 = Advanced
    125 or more = Master
    100 is the "Par Score"

For example, you shoot 180 total points in 35.50 total seconds. 180 points/35.50 seconds = 5.07. 5.07 x 20 = 101.4. Your Final Score would be 101, and you shot Advanced.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment used
    Time for each string
    Total points
    Total time
    Final score
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I was able to get to an outdoor range this morning with some family friends and run this. A great Spring day, if a bit chilly at first.
    GLOCK Gen5G19MOS w/Aimpoint and TLR8 mounted, out of a JMCK “OWB2”, under a fleece vest.
    Times by string: 2.62,4.21,2.56,4.86,4.10,5.93,3.06,4.08 and 4.39; TOTAL = 35.81
    Points: 191. Was “down zero”(IDPA target) until 15&25 yards- need to work the trigger a bit more carefully. Going by Tom Givens formula the numbers work out to 106.67, which I’ll round up to a 107. I am content but not completely pleased.
    My two companions were sometimes faster, but not as accurate; their factors were 100 and 89. One shot a G43 which is challenging. I would like to cut the times down AND maintain the accuracy. In truth, that indicates a bit of dry fire for concealed carry draws and reloads.
    I like this exercise for the non standard strings(4 rounds, 3 rounds,etc.) and getting out to 25 yards.
    Thanks to those who work this site, and I’m grateful to get outside! Stay well all!

Grateful for the opportunity to get outside w/friends again today. Warming up here-hopefully beginning to kill the ChiCom virus!
    A kind of oranges to tangerines comparison; we shot the old FAM Qual first, and as the heat of the day increased, ditches the concealment garments.
    So, a Gen4 19, Warren/Sevigny night sights out of a Tenicor holster, pouch.
    Times: 2.18,3.57,2.63,3.87,3.38,5.40,2.86,4.06,4.13. TOTAL=32.08
    Points: two rounds, one each @15&25 yards, out of circles=196
    Factored out to a 122.20,which is satisfying. Given last week was under concealment, I arbitrarily added .5 secs.for each string this week for a hypothetical 107-it’s all good...
    Again appreciate this course for “non standard responses”-multiple round strings over multiple distances, with a recognition of single handed shooting and an empty load.
    I really appreciate having a highlighted front sight(white outline around trit.tube) as it jumped out in bright sunlight. The Tenicor holster is very smooth on draw.
    My friends did well too, so a great day in America! Grateful for this site and those who participate. Get out and shoot folks!

We did this in class earlier this week. I used my M&P40 2.0C from a JMCK OWB.
    My score was 95. I only dropped two or three points; I need to work on the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    We did this in class earlier this week. I used my M&P40 2.0C from a JMCK OWB.
    My score was 95. I only dropped two or three points; I need to work on the speed.
    I think 95 is respectable with a .40 from concealment. JMHO, don’t give up too much accuracy for speed; it’s almost a cliche, but there truly is a balance. Keep on shootin’!

G19.4
    Safariland ALS on SOC-C belt
    Modified IDPA silhouette

Times: 2.50, 3.64, 2.39, 3.50, 3.24, 5.24, 2.85, 4.22, 5.06
    Total points: 184
    Score: 113

String 1:
    Name:  20200527_174221.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  53.2 KB

Final:
    Name:  20200527_192046.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  46.8 KB

These are some of the targets I've been using lately. An IDPA, without the -3 zones on the sides and shoulders, a 3" circle in head (made it 4" for this drill), and the -0 zone higher up (more anatomically correct, I think), along with the 2" focus dot.

I figure, aim small, miss small. Don't shoot the silhouette, shoot the center of it. Will continue to use these where an IDPA type is called for.

Ran the ALS as I'm still training hard with it, getting deeply familiar with it. We're getting along great.

The low shots happened out at 15 & 25, I was in too much of a hurry.

I think this one's goin' in my book.

@Vini...
    Pretty target, string one!

User Tag List