Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

In response to @Clusterfrack's thoughts on a defensive-oriented shooting sport that had really good scoring. It's simple to me:

I'd basically draw my hit zones from the VTAC A-Zones (not the +0) show here: https://www.vikingtactics.com/v/vspf...che=1522759615

Each stage has a prescribed number of hits and a par time. Fastest time with lowest number of misses, wins the stage. I'd penalize each miss outside those A-Zones with negative points and of course if you exceed par time you'll likely be out of the competitive running.

And there would be no Bs, Cs, or Ds. You either are shooting As or your going backwards. Take your fucking time and make the shots.

You could shoot at them with whatever gun and holster you want as long as it comes from concealment.

Classes would be: Carry Guns, Backup Guns, plus a couple of others*.

Carry guns - Size, optics, compensators unrestricted, however, maximum weight of 50 ounces, 9x19 is minimum caliber. No Major/Minor scoring, minimum Power-Factor ammunition equivalent to Minor will be required.

In Backup Guns, only sub-compact guns that can fit in a pocket (pre-determined size) can be used. Capacity cannot exceed 12-rounds. Caliber can be .32 and larger. For .32 and .380 guns - we'll establish the minimum power factors.

Make-Up Shots would be allowed, because to pass a stage you must make the prescribed number of hits, period.

No make-up stage shoots, unless a calibration error of a popper or plate can be demonstrated. I can't emphasize this enough - no make up stage shoots - you don't get do-overs in real life during a shooting event.

___

*I propose that quarterly matches be held for carbines and shotguns, centered around realistic defensive scenarios around vehicles and homes. Shotguns must run buckshot and slugs (at least one stage should require a slug select). Rifles can be any centerfire rifle and targets will all be within 100-yards. No magazines can be loaded with capacities exceeding 30-rounds.
    Sounds great to me!
    I would make significant efforts to attend such a match in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    A while back when I made my "[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jotti0zvgr8"]

However, for funzies I did write a draft of how the rules would work for AIWB.

"Appendix Carry: Appendix carry is legal for all divisions. The holster must be an inside the waistband appendix model. Magazine pouches can be placed anywhere on the shooter's belt line, but must be inside the waistband. The concealment garment must be a closed front shirt such a t-shirt or polo shirt. Open front concealment is not allowed for shooters using appendix carry."

That was awesome! Totally agree with all that - I'd love to shoot IDPA-CV (Caleb version).

With that said, lets say it all gets implemented tomorrow - So you would not require a certain classification or any safe gun handling proficiency verification for those showing up to shoot from aiwb?

I would still think some kind of verification would at least be a good move.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

I think there should be formal training for USPSA and IDPA.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I know the most common advice given to interested shooters is to just show up to a regular match because the seasoned players are very open toward newbies and will show them how to do things, and I believe this to be generally true, but if it were not for the Practical Shooting Starter Course and Leatham's Intro to Steel at Rio Salado, I'd have never felt confident enough to jump in. Less than fifty bucks in fees and about eight hours of relaxed but structured time in the classroom/range over two days made a world of difference in requesting and following guidance months later when I went to my first IDPA classifier at a different range (South Mountain), after I was comfortable enough to try something beyond Tuesday Night Steels.

There are so many things new shooters need to know before their first match. Eg. If a shooter doesn’t know how to fall safely with a loaded gun that may or may not be drop safe, I don’t think they have any business participating in an action shooting sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    The matches are just plain different.

locally, IDPA serves up stuff you don’t see much in local uspsa - or I haven’t seen it much in the year and change I’ve been shooting matches locally. Shooting from inside vehicles, prone shooting, awkward position shooting, shooting from a seated position, shooting with props like a briefcase or parcel in hand, strong and weak hand only. You see some of the latter in uspsa classifiers, but not a lot.
    This is a nice distinction. I think the trouble with both is lazy match management ... You know you see all 32 round USPSA "field courses" where there are just 4, 4 target arrays barfed up with 8'-10' of movement between shooting positions. Compare that to IDPA clubs that run stupid El Pres variations without any imagination... The trouble it that clubs just burn match directors and ROs out... Big time commitments and then dealing with a bunch of "difficult people". If I ever run a club again, it'll be "for profit"...

What I did always appreciate about IDPA was that the scoring did reward "clean shooting", which, if you think about it is the medicine that most people carrying a gun kinda need. The problem is that IDPA coupled all that with a bunch of "tactical considerations" which are all questionable, IMHO: Remember the pivot-step rules? Pepperidge Farms remembers... I really think the new rules have helped.

Both sports are trying to grow and provide the crack to their core audiences... Let's face it USPSA is going to be slowly dominated by PCC, CO and open (I think Limited is going to be the only real game for folks running irons...), while IDPA is sorta going in the opposite direction catering to folks with irons and low cap designs.

At the end of the day, unless you really want to be a national champ of the worlds smallest sports with a infinitesimally smaller audience (and no $$), it all doesn't really matter. See your sights/dot/WTFever and put holes in the middle of whatever headed/headless target is in front of you without shooting anything that doesn't need shooting. Enjoy the fresh air and camaraderie with a bunch of other like-minded folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    We used to have a rule that only classified people could come and shoot.

No classifier? Sign up for a class with some trainers and show us proof of class completion.
    I think that kinda of vetting helped a bit.

I think the bigger issue is that USPSA and IDPA probably won't approve a membership/participation being contingent on passing a class...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I think the bigger issue is that USPSA and IDPA probably won't approve a membership/participation being contingent on passing a class...
    I'm not sure I'd approve of that. It really sounds like you and Clusterfrack want to make these sports less accessible. Maybe things are different where you are, but clubs in my local area are really good about shepherding new shooters through their first match or two, making sure they understand safety rules, etc.

Not less accessible, just safer. I don’t think a match is the right place for a 9yr old kid to learn how to draw and holster safely, let alone run with a gun.

Les Pepperoni said:

"At the end of the day, unless you really want to be a national champ of the worlds smallest sports with a infinitesimally smaller audience (and no $$), it all doesn't really matter. See your sights/dot/WTFever and put holes in the middle of whatever headed/headless target is in front of you without shooting anything that doesn't need shooting. Enjoy the fresh air and camaraderie with a bunch of other like-minded folks."

This summarizes it as eloquently as any statement I have seen. Bravo, sir!

User Tag List