Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I started with IDPA because there just weren't many USPSA matches convenient to me. I still have to drive over an hour to the nearest outdoor USPSA match.

I get the desire to shoot a match with carry gear, but there are so many benefits to match shooting beyond the meager number of draws that comprise a match that I think focusing on this limitation is throwing the baby out with the bath water. My two cents; I've shot IDPA, USPSA, and KSTG - each has their merits, and drawbacks.
    I agree. I’m just tired of driving so far for a match.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    I've corresponded directly with Mrs. Wilson. In my personal experience, she was helpful, open to suggestion, and very diplomatic in her responses.

In response to your essential question - i.e.: "What would it take?" - I think that all it would take (for IDPA to change it's policy) is enough letters from IDPA members to Mrs. Wilson.

https://www.idpa.com/about-idpa/contact-idpa/
    Very insightful.

A quote from Dumb and Dumber "So your sayin there's a chance"
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    I think that all it would take (for IDPA to change it's policy) is enough letters from IDPA members to Mrs. Wilson.
    My initial reaction to this was HA HA HA HA. No offense meant, but I guess you're new at this.

Bill, disgruntled former IDPA member # A-000282.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I started with IDPA because there just weren't many USPSA matches convenient to me. I still have to drive over an hour to the nearest outdoor USPSA match.

I get the desire to shoot a match with carry gear, but there are so many benefits to match shooting beyond the meager number of draws that comprise a match that I think focusing on this limitation is throwing the baby out with the bath water. My two cents; I've shot IDPA, USPSA, and KSTG - each has their merits, and drawbacks.
    I fully understand that the draw is a fairly insignificant element to shooting a match. What isn't insignificant is the number of reps in dry practice higher level shooters put in for their sport. I prefer putting on USPSA gear and doing practice, I make myself dry practice from my carry gear and I strongly dislike putting on IDPA legal gear and a vest to practice with IDPA gear. 1st world problems for sure.

Again, in my perfect world - I could put on gamer uspsa gear for my preferred pistol sport and then only have to practice/work with 1 other set up (carry gear).

But in the grand scheme of things - I'm still eager and thrilled to go shoot any action pistol match with whatever gear rules/limits needed.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

A while back when I made my "3 Ways to Improve IDPA video" allowing AIWB was the number one thing on my list. I think that it makes sense for the concealed carry focused sport to allow a method of concealment that's growing in popularity, especially among savvy shooters.

The problem is the roadmap. Full disclosure, I know Joyce and was actually on the Tiger Teams when IDPA was doing their big re-org, and the path to getting AIWB in the sport is...difficult. There's surprisingly less institutional resistance in IDPA leadership than you'd think, although there is some. The big problem comes from Area Directors and Match Directors who think it's fundamentally unsafe, and there are a lot more of them than there are serious minded shooters who'd shoot from AIWB concealment.

However, for funzies I did write a draft of how the rules would work for AIWB.

"Appendix Carry: Appendix carry is legal for all divisions. The holster must be an inside the waistband appendix model. Magazine pouches can be placed anywhere on the shooter's belt line, but must be inside the waistband. The concealment garment must be a closed front shirt such a t-shirt or polo shirt. Open front concealment is not allowed for shooters using appendix carry."

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

"The concealment garment must be a closed front shirt such a t-shirt or polo shirt. Open front concealment is not allowed for shooters using appendix carry."
    Why? Because I appendix carry under a shoot me vest about 50% of the time.

___

In response to @Clusterfrack's thoughts on a defensive-oriented shooting sport that had really good scoring. It's simple to me:

I'd basically draw my hit zones from the VTAC A-Zones (not the +0) show here: https://www.vikingtactics.com/v/vspf...che=1522759615

Each stage has a prescribed number of hits and a par time. Fastest time with lowest number of misses, wins the stage. I'd penalize each miss outside those A-Zones with negative points and of course if you exceed par time you'll likely be out of the competitive running.

And there would be no Bs, Cs, or Ds. You either are shooting As or your going backwards. Take your fucking time and make the shots.

You could shoot at them with whatever gun and holster you want as long as it comes from concealment.

Classes would be: Carry Guns, Backup Guns, plus a couple of others*.

Carry guns - Size, optics, compensators unrestricted, however, maximum weight of 50 ounces, 9x19 is minimum caliber. No Major/Minor scoring, minimum Power-Factor ammunition equivalent to Minor will be required.

In Backup Guns, only sub-compact guns that can fit in a pocket (pre-determined size) can be used. Capacity cannot exceed 12-rounds. Caliber can be .32 and larger. For .32 and .380 guns - we'll establish the minimum power factors.

Make-Up Shots would be allowed, because to pass a stage you must make the prescribed number of hits, period.

No make-up stage shoots, unless a calibration error of a popper or plate can be demonstrated. I can't emphasize this enough - no make up stage shoots - you don't get do-overs in real life during a shooting event.

___

*I propose that quarterly matches be held for carbines and shotguns, centered around realistic defensive scenarios around vehicles and homes. Shotguns must run buckshot and slugs (at least one stage should require a slug select). Rifles can be any centerfire rifle and targets will all be within 100-yards. No magazines can be loaded with capacities exceeding 30-rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Why? Because I appendix carry under a shoot me vest about 50% of the time.
    I did a bunch of testing on this, actually. Drawing from a closed front shirt AIWB vs drawing from an OWB IDPA style holster under a vest was a wash for speed, over the course of the reps there wasn't a big difference.

Drawing AIWB from under a shoot me first vest was on average 0.20 faster than closed front or OWB strong side holster (concealed). The draw stroke is super fast since the gun is already on the centerline and the vest barely moves.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Drawing AIWB from under a shoot me first vest was on average 0.20 faster than closed front or OWB strong side holster (concealed). The draw stroke is super fast since the gun is already on the centerline and the vest barely moves.
    Yea man...that's why I carry under a vest.

I'm not that fast, so I need all the help I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Yea man...that's why I carry under a vest.

I'm not that fast, so I need all the help I can get.
    Oh I agree. When I tossed the proposed rules out, I was trying to write them in a way that IDPA would accept, and I thought insisting on a closed front shirt would do that.

Site Supporter
    Not to divert a bit but I said my FOG body isn't really up for appendix carry. Another concern is that I really don't like having to use two hands to free the gun. I see folks lifting their shirts with a hand and going for the gun with the other. I'm currently battling my 'lifting' hand being totally screwed up. The joint is terribly painful and weak. Going to the doc tomorrow. I wouldn't trust it to fail on me. OWB and sweeping a garment is my style. YMMV, I certainly agree. Will 200 milliseconds kill me on the street? Will not clearing the shirt, kill me. Who knows?

Just a thought.

User Tag List