Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

I can safely say I will not SO someone with appendix carry. I can TQ a leg. Gut shot is a different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Appendix is a big deal for the gun hipsters, and their ranks are growing, but frankly I think IDPA sees things pretty clearly on this:
    1) appendix-carry is still a very niche thing, however vocal the proponents may be
    2) of that niche, some are mature enough to to shoot the game with the allowable equipment
    3) of what’s left, they mostly complain on the internet and then go shoot somewhere else, so it really doesn’t matter.

I don’t think that allowing appendix would do a damn thing to their attendance, and I don’t think banning it is hurting their attendance.

What is it about IDPA that makes people want to shoot it from appendix, that you can’t currently accomplish by shooting from appendix in USPSA?
    In answer to your last sentence, I’d say match availability.
    #RESIST

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    In answer to your last sentence, I’d say match availability.
    The matches are just plain different.

locally, IDPA serves up stuff you don’t see much in local uspsa - or I haven’t seen it much in the year and change I’ve been shooting matches locally. Shooting from inside vehicles, prone shooting, awkward position shooting, shooting from a seated position, shooting with props like a briefcase or parcel in hand, strong and weak hand only. You see some of the latter in uspsa classifiers, but not a lot.

Attendance at idpa locally is quite good in decent weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post

locally, IDPA serves up stuff you don’t see much in local uspsa - or I haven’t seen it much in the year and change I’ve been shooting matches locally. Shooting from inside vehicles, prone shooting, awkward position shooting, shooting from a seated position, shooting with props like a briefcase or parcel in hand, strong and weak hand only. You see some of the latter in uspsa classifiers, but not a lot.
    I agree. I miss that aspect. Our club's IDPA matches are especially creative, in large part due to the match director.

On the other hand, USPSA has lots of stuff you don't see in IDPA.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I agree. I miss that aspect. Our club's IDPA matches are especially creative, in large part due to the match director.

On the other hand, USPSA has lots of stuff you don't see in IDPA.
    agree. Which is why I do both, and steel. eta I’m just answering a question posed upthread about why people might like to add idpa to their attendance list, or idpa with appendix, as opposed to just doing uspsa appendix from concealment.
    Last edited by Medusa; 05-03-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Attendance at idpa locally is quite good in decent weather.
    Sounds good to me.

What I was getting at just having any match nearby.
    #RESIST

When I shoot games where I can not AIWB (idpa, steel challenge) I use my clutch belt and get reps in with that.

agree. Which is why I do both, and steel. eta I’m just answering a question posed upthread about why people might like to add idpa to their attendance list, or idpa with appendix, as opposed to just doing uspsa appendix from concealment.
    Yes indeedy. There is room for all of those. In the mecca of action shooting that is Central Texas three clubs multiple different events monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Sounds good to me.

What I was getting at just having any match nearby.
    I started with IDPA because there just weren't many USPSA matches convenient to me. I still have to drive over an hour to the nearest outdoor USPSA match.

I get the desire to shoot a match with carry gear, but there are so many benefits to match shooting beyond the meager number of draws that comprise a match that I think focusing on this limitation is throwing the baby out with the bath water. My two cents; I've shot IDPA, USPSA, and KSTG - each has their merits, and drawbacks.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Thoughts?
    I've corresponded directly with Mrs. Wilson. In my personal experience, she was helpful, open to suggestion, and very diplomatic in her responses.

In response to your essential question - i.e.: "What would it take?" - I think that all it would take (for IDPA to change it's policy) is enough letters from IDPA members to Mrs. Wilson.

https://www.idpa.com/about-idpa/contact-idpa/

User Tag List