Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

One of the clubs in my area pulled the "for safety reasons we will not be allowing AIWB". My main club reluctantly decided to allow it.

Sorry guys, I'm not sure where it is in the rule book. But several "by the book" friends have said its against the IDPA rule book to not allow something that's expressly allowed by the rule book. Anyone else know of this stipulation or interpret the overall rule book in such a way?

AND I always have to say it. At matches I see multiple people point their pistol at such an inboard angle it would be just as dangerous as a AIWB ND.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Local range SAFETY RULES can trump the rule book.

I agree, I have seen many shooters cant their guns inward toward their hip to find the top of a straight draw holster.

The most nerve wracking thing I have seen recently was a guy with one of those chassis that holds a Glock to form Something Else, effectively a carbine. Muzzle discipline and chamber flag usage was spotty. I hope I don't get stuck on a squad with him again. Damn thing is not even an allowable IDPA or USPSA gun but I guess his entry fee was worth more than following the rules.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Amen to that. I think I mentioned seeing an old toot like me screw up his holstering after loading, such that the SO has to call a stop. Needs more dry holstering practice.
    Always
    Yes a comrade on my team who is a TCOLE Instructor added a hole earlier in the spring. He had a combo light manual safety and clothing in the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Local range SAFETY RULES can trump the rule book.

I agree, I have seen many shooters cant their guns inward toward their hip to find the top of a straight draw holster.

The most nerve wracking thing I have seen recently was a guy with one of those chassis that holds a Glock to form Something Else, effectively a carbine. Muzzle discipline and chamber flag usage was spotty. I hope I don't get stuck on a squad with him again. Damn thing is not even an allowable IDPA or USPSA gun but I guess his entry fee was worth more than following the rules.
    SO's job is to take him aside and in a friendly manner put the safety fear of God into him and show how to handle properly. I am terrible about being a rules stickler but told I am good at that.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    One of the clubs in my area pulled the "for safety reasons we will not be allowing AIWB". My main club reluctantly decided to allow it.

Sorry guys, I'm not sure where it is in the rule book. But several "by the book" friends have said its against the IDPA rule book to not allow something that's expressly allowed by the rule book. Anyone else know of this stipulation or interpret the overall rule book in such a way?

AND I always have to say it. At matches I see multiple people point their pistol at such an inboard angle it would be just as dangerous as a AIWB ND.

I'm beyond disappointed in the manner in which IDPA has rolled out AIWB rules primarily because clubs can just state in writing at the signup/advertising that AIWB is disallowed and "that's ok"...
    Maybe it is just my take that rules & rulebooks are meant to create standardization and thereby, competitive equity. But WTF do I know?

My advice? Get involved at the club-level/range-level and start to change the perception/rules. It is a long process, but, right now, that's the only realistic thing to do...

The rule you're looking for is:

2.13 Club Safety Rules Clubs or Ranges that host IDPA matches may have additional or more restrictive safety requirements. These safety restrictions will be accommodated by the IDPA MD and staff provided that they do not interfere or conflict with the Purpose and Principles of IDPA or the administration of the match according to the IDPA Safety Rules. Any additional restrictions or requirements must be published in all Sanctioned Match announcements and visibly displayed at the match in a location accessible to the shooters.

Have really enjoyed shooting IDPA from aiwb concealment!!! Shot my shield plus 4” w/507k. Never say never!!

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Nicely done MM, also have a 507K on my +4” that’s my AIWB EDC, may need to run it in next Sat’s IDPA hmmm ……….

As a new forum member, I decided to read this thread from the beginning in May, 2020. Already knowing the rules changed, I was amused by all the comments and predictions IDPA would never allow appendix carry. I was also surprised by the SMS from Joyce Wilson, since I had already seen the interview she did with Mas Ayoob. That certainly puts that interview in a different light and why she appeared almost nervous or unsure.

I am currently in Poland, where I've shot two matches. They mentioned in March, the new rules allow AIWB, so I don't think the club has a rule against it. I didn't see anybody shooting from appendix at Polish Nationals. At least there were none on my squad of 10. The concern the SOs I know in Poland had was with the close contact shot. They are all civilians, and most of them carry regularly (there is a kind of shall issue legal concealed carry rolled into certain firearms licenses here), but of the ones I know well, they don't carry appendix. Maybe that will change now, unlike myself, they have the proper body shape to do so safely.
    -----------------------
    You can't panic buy skill.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGR View Post
    As a new forum member, I decided to read this thread from the beginning in May, 2020. Already knowing the rules changed, I was amused by all the comments and predictions IDPA would never allow appendix carry. I was also surprised by the SMS from Joyce Wilson, since I had already seen the interview she did with Mas Ayoob. That certainly puts that interview in a different light and why she appeared almost nervous or unsure.

I am currently in Poland, where I've shot two matches. They mentioned in March, the new rules allow AIWB, so I don't think the club has a rule against it. I didn't see anybody shooting from appendix at Polish Nationals. At least there were none on my squad of 10. The concern the SOs I know in Poland had was with the close contact shot. They are all civilians, and most of them carry regularly (there is a kind of shall issue legal concealed carry rolled into certain firearms licenses here), but of the ones I know well, they don't carry appendix. Maybe that will change now, unlike myself, they have the proper body shape to do so safely.
    I want to shoot Hungarian and Polish IDPA Nationals at some point.

Jak się masz and make ready, kurva!

Quote Originally Posted by TXGR View Post

I did not see anyone use it at the regional match using the new rules, but its new. Plus a lot were like me with serious Dad bods so not conducive.

User Tag List