Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

Didn't wilson recently add an appendix holster to their catalogue ...
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The key difference between IDPA and USPSA/IPSC isn't what guns or holsters are allowed. It's the scoring system. Hit factor scoring is what makes USPSA/IPSC a much more attractive sport to me. I really don't care if my carry gun isn't competitive in Production, or if I can't shoot from AIWB.

Shooting a Time+ match with my carry gear just isn't interesting to me. +1 sec per shot outside -0 encourages checking targets for holes and making up misses. That's just not my kind of match.

I could see designing a new sport around defensive shooting at the highest level. That would be really interesting. I'm sure we could brainstorm some good rules. I'll start:

-Hit factor scoring
    -Very heavy penalties for misses off target and non-threat hits
    -Limited ammunition
    That's the real draw of USPSA to me.

Shooting CDP makes WAY more sense if you're a 1911 guy, but the holster position isn't what kills it for me.

In USPSA, I would argue that you must be considerably faster at calling your shots and making them up, but really when you're shooting competitively in USPSA, even at the club level, it's best to get appropriate hits the first time around, because you don't have one second to make it up and make up shots take time. Really if you throw a lot of C and D zone shots you've already screwed the pooch.

I still shoot IDPA just because some weekends I work, and some I don't. I'm not always free for a nearby USPSA match and some days I don't want to drive an hour or two each way for USPSA when IDPA is 30 minutes away. I do enjoy it. I may even try playing around some in SSR because IDPA remains one of the only places where you're not an idiot for shooting a wheelgun.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My body doesn't accommodate Appendix carry. So, I'm not concerned for myself..
    I would bet that might have something to do with leadership not giving it any thought as well.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Correct on no magwells in CO.

I think for most people that want to compete from AIWB limited minor is probably the best fit. It rules out an optic and light but you can do anything else you might want to do. Gabe and Les (probably others) have proven you can be competitive there.

I didn’t realize you could shoot from appendix in open. Being competitive there is probably not going to happen. Isn’t open major only?
    Having a dot and shooting from aiwb puts you into open. Open is just about anything goes. AIWB in limited is fun and useful - I'm just hooked on the dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The key difference between IDPA and USPSA/IPSC isn't what guns or holsters are allowed. It's the scoring system. Hit factor scoring is what makes USPSA/IPSC a much more attractive sport to me. I really don't care if my carry gun isn't competitive in Production, or if I can't shoot from AIWB.

Shooting a Time+ match with my carry gear just isn't interesting to me. +1 sec per shot outside -0 encourages checking targets for holes and making up misses. That's just not my kind of match.
    I disagree - biggest difference to me - USPSA - here are the targets, here is shooting area - you figure out best way or your best way. IDPA - you do it like this, maybe you have 1-2 options.

I don't love but don't hate the 1 sec penalty of IDPA, don't think its all bad. I think it makes you strive to hit the zero the first two times. I don't check the target for holes, but do make up shots by calling shots - but I do that in both. In USPSA, the area where I think make up shots are needed is just farther out toward the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Appendix is a big deal for the gun hipsters, and their ranks are growing, but frankly I think IDPA sees things pretty clearly on this:
    1) appendix-carry is still a very niche thing, however vocal the proponents may be
    2) of that niche, some are mature enough to to shoot the game with the allowable equipment
    3) of what’s left, they mostly complain on the internet and then go shoot somewhere else, so it really doesn’t matter.

I don’t think that allowing appendix would do a damn thing to their attendance, and I don’t think banning it is hurting their attendance.

What is it about IDPA that makes people want to shoot it from appendix, that you can’t currently accomplish by shooting from appendix in USPSA?
    1)Maybe a lot less niche than previous. I perceive more people that do not shoot gun games that carry AIWB, at least I have seen the last few years.
    2)True - but adapting the sport to things people like/want is a good way to get more attendance and members (look at USPSA - carry optics and PCC)
    3)Or maybe some like myself, who just joined IDPA for the first time would want to push for change. If a certain number of their members starting making noise about something maybe change is possible.

I am on a facebook group - modern samurai project alumni, and this topic came up - most people bashing IDPA, but when asked I think quite a few said they would go shoot IDPA if aiwb were allowed.

Go see my first post for why I'd want to shoot IDPA from aiwb.

I am well aware this is all highly unlikely - just thinking out loud really.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I shoot uspsa, idpa, and speed steel; I carry appendix, and have in fact just two sets of gear. One for games, one for carry. It’s doable once one decides one wants to and trains it, has been my experience.

I like idpa scoring, shoot a lot of idpa matches and don’t see the people higher in the results checking for holes especially in the difficult targets (far targets, swingers and falling targets, etc) , and don’t think my decision to use the same gear in uspsa is holding me back in the latter. My two cents only.

I would love to see appendix in idpa but don’t expect it to happen soon.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    What is PF thoughts on if IDPA were to allow appendix carry?
    This is how KSTG started. (Among other elements of dissatisfaction with IDPA and USPSA.)

Those were good matches.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 05-03-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I AIWB all day every day, and prefer to shoot classes and matches with my carry gear. When I can't, I adapt. I'm at the class or the match for more than just the holster work. The world's full of clownshoes and range rules, holster type isn't high on my list of grievances.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I shoot uspsa, idpa, and speed steel; I carry appendix, and have in fact just two sets of gear. One for games, one for carry. It’s doable once one decides one wants to and trains it, has been my experience.

I like idpa scoring, shoot a lot of idpa matches and don’t see the people higher in the results checking for holes especially in the difficult targets (far targets, swingers and falling targets, etc) , and don’t think my decision to use the same gear in uspsa is holding me back in the latter. My two cents only.

I would love to see appendix in idpa but don’t expect it to happen soon.
    Yep, done the two sets - no issues. It's when I look at putting on and practicing with 3 different set ups that it gets tiresome.

I know - it is what it is. Obviously I am fine to play with the gear and rules of the game I am playing - been doing so for few months now. Just wanted to have a discussion about it.

My day has improved by beating this dead horse a little bit

User Tag List