Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

Quote Originally Posted by underhook View Post
    The stippling on replacable parts. That favors the SIG FCU as the entire lower is replaceable.

That is intersting. I would assume the indsutry would be pushing to CO as it sells new guns and optics?
    “The industry” meaning Wilson Combat…

They’ll sell you something with a red dot but “the Gun Guys” love their irons.

EDIT: I read rules more carefully and SSP doesn’t allow single action?

Such a weird mish mash of different eras.

I wonder if they know that agencies are moving to optics on service pistols….

Maybe we can expect IDPA to come up with rules for 2022… in 2027.
    Last edited by JCN; 03-15-2022 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    The increase in capacity for SSP Division will be welcomed by most shooters, I think.

However . . . . the last two bullets in the summarization of changes below, are going to NOT be welcomed, and I think will ultimately do more to chase folks away from SSP than attract them to it

Equipment Changes - SSP
    • Division capacity increased to 15 rounds
    • No visible external modifications are allowed
    • Grip Modules are not considered removable grips
    • Exterior parts may be refinished
    • Stippling/texturing may be applied to replaceable parts
    • Aftermarket magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers,
    de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers are not allowed
    • Custom shop parts are not allowed

"Aftermarket magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, HAMMERS, AND TRIGGERS are not allowed"
    Almost every single SSP shooter I am aware of that shoots SSP Division has some changes in their hammers and triggers, especially CZ shooters who have pistols from CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works. And I know there are several Glock and S&W M&P shooters currently shooting SSP Division with aftermarket triggers.

I have long ago decided to just try to shoot and enjoy myself at IDPA matches and tune out the incessant discussion and debate over "IDPA rules". Almost every time IDPA "improves or clarifies" rules, they create more displeasure and controversy.

The last true "rule" change the organization implemented that was truly an improvement and seemed to be almost universally welcomed and embraced was when they established fault lines and removed the subjectivity of "cover" calls (back in 2017, I think).

So how did they improve that rule this time? By limiting the length of a fault line! I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about how this rule can and will change the way a match stage is planned and executed, but it WILL. I don't think many shooters are going to like it. IDPA had finally almost completely solved the fault line/"cover" debate in their courses of fire, so they have changed the rule.

Oh well, it's just a game, and I am mediocre at it, at best. I'll keep shooting it and just stand a little farther away from the rule debates to prevent my mellow from being harshed!

Oh, and I will get my two DA/SA CZ Shadows converted to SAO and shoot in ESP Division when I am not shooting in CO Division.

Next up: The fire and brimstone from ESP and CO shooters who want to know why THEY can't load 15 rounds in their magazines!
    If your gun was SSP legal before the rulebook, it is still legal with the new rulebook

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    “The industry” meaning Wilson Combat…
    Irony that such a specific corner of the industry has that much influance on IDPA. I would like to see Phil Strader have an equal industry voice in IDPA. Maybe I'm crossing the beams there politically.....

The Hackerthon/Wilson future of the industry chat has me thinking they are looking in the rear view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    If your gun was SSP legal before the rulebook, it is still legal with the new rulebook
    You certainly may be correct, and I certainly hope you are.

A continuing problem I (and several other IDPA shooters I know) have encountered with the IDPA rules is their interpretation.

Can you point me to a place in the new rules and/or updates that support your statement, or is it another one that must be individually interpreted?

I don't recall anyplace in previous rules that specifically prohibit "aftermarket hammers, triggers, or custom shop parts".

Were these parts prohibited before this change? If they were, I know of multiple dozens of SSP shooters who have been in violation of IDPA rules for several years, yet who gave passed "equipment inspection" at IDPA sanctioned matches.

Believe me, I am not attempting to be argumentative nor do I enjoy debates about IDPA rules. Just trying to understand the latest changes.

You certainly may be correct, and I certainly hope you are.

A continuing problem I (and several other IDPA shooters I know) have encountered with the IDPA rules is their interpretation.

Can you point me to a place in the new rules and/or updates that support your statement, or is it another one that must be individually interpreted?

I don't recall anyplace in previous rules that specifically prohibit "aftermarket hammers, triggers, or custom shop parts".

Were these parts prohibited before this change? If they were, I know of multiple dozens of SSP shooters who have been in violation of IDPA rules for several years, yet who gave passed "equipment inspection" at IDPA sanctioned matches.

Believe me, I am not attempting to be argumentative nor do I enjoy debates about IDPA rules. Just trying to understand the latest changes.
    From the 2017 rule book:
    8.2.1.2 SSP Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):
    A. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type. Slides may not be machined to accept different style
    sights.
    B. Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration and do not weigh more
    than 2.00 oz. more than the factory standard weight for that model.
    C. Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP
    legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in
    replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that
    are available installed only from a factory custom shop are not eligible in SSP.

8.2.1.3 SSP Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):
    A. Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications section.
    B. Aftermarket or visibly modified magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, and hammers.

Unless they happen to be a fellow CZ nerd, many equipment check guys don't know what the are looking at which is why a slightly different shaped hammer often gets a pass, but it has always been illegal. I run all my DA/SA under ESP for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by underhook View Post
    Irony that such a specific corner of the industry has that much influance on IDPA. I would like to see Phil Strader have an equal industry voice in IDPA. Maybe I'm crossing the beams there politically.....

The Hackerthon/Wilson future of the industry chat has me thinking they are looking in the rear view.
    I’m out of the loop, but isn’t “Joyce” Bill Wilson’s wife?

It’s such a schizophrenic rule set.

Our local IDPA is all PCC and CO.

Their PCC allowance made it seem like a desperation member grab that wasn’t well thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    From the 2017 rule book:

Unless they happen to be a fellow CZ nerd, many equipment check guys don't know what the are looking at which is why a slightly different shaped hammer often gets a pass, but it has always been illegal. I run all my DA/SA under ESP for this reason.
    Thanks for this information. I guess most of the CZ's from CZC and CGW have always been illegal in IDPA SSP Division. It will be interesting to see if anything changes regarding enforcement.

Site Supporter
    Minor ramble follows.

A someone who has " competed" locally off and on in IDPA since its inception, I often found its rules byzantine and confusing in rationale i.e. a Glock 17 with stippling at one point was ESP. With stick on removable grip tape it was SSP-yet they are functionally equiv. in every way, no AIWB despite the literal explosion of the carry mode since the mid 2000's etc.

Moreover, if you shot any "competition course" with an eye toward life preserving tactical considerations, you would NEVER win anything.

At some point I realized, that the true value of the "sport" (for me at least) was the camaraderie and honing automaticity re running the gun to free the mind to solve the accuracy and "tactical" challenges.

Once, I made that switch, I did reasonably well in my local club playing the game.

Having said all of that, when you as the Wilsons ( and others) literally invent a sport, you get to literally make the rules. If you do not like it, one can endeavor to effect change from within or invent their own sport.

In the end, it is simply a game. I could lie and say that I stopped/started/stopped shooting IDPA because they would not let me shoot with a light on my gun at one point when I carried that way (G34/35 with a TLR-1 in a Raven OWB) and/or shoot carrying AIWB (98% of the time since 08 or 09) or I could tell the the truth and say I had other priorities for my time and COVID keep me away from folks even when the club started shooting outside in the Summer of 2020.

I am cautiously optimistic as my time is freeing up with the kids getting older, I will endeavor to shoot IDPA AIWB SSP with a Gen 1 G17 (skateboard tape on the grip) and drive on.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I’m out of the loop, but isn’t “Joyce” Bill Wilson’s wife?

It’s such a schizophrenic rule set.

Our local IDPA is all PCC and CO.

Their PCC allowance made it seem like a desperation member grab that wasn’t well thought out.
    Yes, Joyce is Joyce Wilson.

I shoot very few USPSA matches and a lot of IDPA matches, so I can't fairly draw a comparative analysis of how much the rules of USPA are discussed at their matches vs. how much the rules of IDPA are discussed at those matches.

But "schizophrenic" is an apt description of the IDPA rules, in my opinion.

Yes, Joyce is Joyce Wilson.

I shoot very few USPSA matches and a lot of IDPA matches, so I can't fairly draw a comparative analysis of how much the rules of USPA are discussed at their matches vs. how much the rules of IDPA are discussed at those matches.

But "schizophrenic" is an apt description of the IDPA rules, in my opinion.
    I like the nonweapon related rules changes noted so far. They help with those discussions and clarify them the way people here have been running.

User Tag List