Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

A local multi division GM shoots his 19/RMR from concealed AIWB in Open. There are very few stages where a fast draw means anything in USPSA.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I think IDPA is in a position to gain back production shooters from USPSA. I think IDPA could help themselves by allowing AIWB. I would love to shoot carry optics from AIWB. I don’t think it’ll ever happen. My local IDPA club is all but dead. Last time I went there were about 12 shooters and most of them were 60 or older. No new blood in the pipeline here in that sport. USPSA in my area is heavily skewed to open and PCC. Carry optics is growing too.

Speaking of USPSA I really don’t know what their current line of thinking is on equipment rules. Production for an actual concealed carry gun doesn’t really exist in USPSA any longer. Carry optics is basically open now. I wonder if they are going to bring in two new divisions, CO and Production light, to be more closely aligned with IPSC?
    I really agree, I seriously do think IDPA could gain a LOT of shooters back with allowing AIWB, especially allowing carry optics to be - you know, like lots of people actually carry.

Ya, USPSA has lot all sense of "production" or "carry". I think carry optics with 15rd mags would be a nice middle ground and get rid of the "poor mans open" beliefs.

Speaking of that, in USPSA a magwell is not allowed in CO, correct? I believe they are allowed in IDPA CO.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A local multi division GM shoots his 19/RMR from concealed AIWB in Open. There are very few stages where a fast draw means anything in USPSA.
    One of the best things about USPSA - you can show up with whatever you want and shoot.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Site Supporter
    My body doesn't accommodate Appendix carry. So, I'm not concerned for myself. I might suggest that if it troubles a club, they might run a dry fire test of new folks to see they are safe. Yeah, this is a pain to do but the club I'm going to join (if we ever open, get the guns back, blah, blah) does have a safety course and test first - or so they tell me.

Also, if reattaching an organ is elective surgery, that is a consideration, given the closures.

Correct on no magwells in CO.

I think for most people that want to compete from AIWB limited minor is probably the best fit. It rules out an optic and light but you can do anything else you might want to do. Gabe and Les (probably others) have proven you can be competitive there.

I didn’t realize you could shoot from appendix in open. Being competitive there is probably not going to happen. Isn’t open major only?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I shoot open minor.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    but I think IDPA can't or at least shouldn't continue to ignore an elephant in the room,

Thoughts?
    IDPA has been ignoring elephants in the room for decades.

The key difference between IDPA and USPSA/IPSC isn't what guns or holsters are allowed. It's the scoring system. Hit factor scoring is what makes USPSA/IPSC a much more attractive sport to me. I really don't care if my carry gun isn't competitive in Production, or if I can't shoot from AIWB.

Shooting a Time+ match with my carry gear just isn't interesting to me. +1 sec per shot outside -0 encourages checking targets for holes and making up misses. That's just not my kind of match.

I could see designing a new sport around defensive shooting at the highest level. That would be really interesting. I'm sure we could brainstorm some good rules. I'll start:

-Hit factor scoring
    -Very heavy penalties for misses off target and non-threat hits
    -Limited ammunition
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-03-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Appendix is a big deal for the gun hipsters, and their ranks are growing, but frankly I think IDPA sees things pretty clearly on this:
    1) appendix-carry is still a very niche thing, however vocal the proponents may be
    2) of that niche, some are mature enough to to shoot the game with the allowable equipment
    3) of what’s left, they mostly complain on the internet and then go shoot somewhere else, so it really doesn’t matter.

I don’t think that allowing appendix would do a damn thing to their attendance, and I don’t think banning it is hurting their attendance.

What is it about IDPA that makes people want to shoot it from appendix, that you can’t currently accomplish by shooting from appendix in USPSA?

Site Supporter
    I’d love it if people could really use their “daily carry” gear to shoot IDPA, and, since AIWB is becoming more common with “aware” shooters, that would be cool.

Having said that, I SO for two different clubs at 2-3 matches a month (pre-COVID-19). New shooters are a regular threat for flagging themselves, especially when using strong-side IWB holsters (tend to use the support hand to “stabilize” the holster, and predictably sweep the muzzle across the hand when reholstering, and occasionally when drawing). This issue would be that much worse with AIWB.

I’d imagine that the consequences (for the club) of a shooter injuring themselves with an ND could be catastrophic, and an ND with AIWB will cause a serious injury.

I think that the real challenge would be how to determine who is an experienced, safe gun-handler. And given the limitations in the current IDPA rulebook (it could use a lot of editing and clarification as it is), I shutter to think how lengthy and involved the process would be to incorporate new things. That said, I’d be game to participate in the re-write conference. Then there’s the issue of how long it would take for the old farts (who I guess are 10 years older than me) to read and understand the new rules.

User Tag List