Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

I've been on the front lines of trying to get AIWB into IDPA for years, back to when they were doing rulebook re-writes in 2012. Joyce is a industry friend as well, and I like most of the people in IDPA's senior leadership. For better or for worse, we simply won't get AIWB in IDPA while the current ownership is in place.

It's a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    That was at Frostproof. But, yes, you do need to come down to Ruskin sometime.
    Yep, that too. Thanks Les.

On topic:

I think any shooting sport that gets people out with their carry gear (more or less) on the clock, against other competitors, is good for the industry. I suspect that anyone interested in IDPA is much, much more likely to be carrying behind the hip. In so far as I've been exposed to the "gun culture" online in other places (than p-f), carrying AIWB is regarded more like a red-headed step child, with the added negative of youwillshootcherballsoff. But hey, IDPA gets to set their own rules, like any other organization. If I shot an IDPA match, I'd just use one of my JM CK IWB3's.

Question, actually, save me looking it up, can I carry my reload AIWB in IDPA?

Also, (again, save me looking it up) I watched some "2019 Championship" IDPA videos, and seems like most of the folks were just dropping their mags on the ground through the reload on the clock. I seem to recall previous discussion on IDPA you could not do that, it was a rule you had to retain the partially full or empty mag ejected somewhere on you. Has that all changed recently?
    Last edited by RJ; 01-25-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yep, that too. Thanks Les.

On topic:

I think any shooting sport that gets people out with their carry gear (more or less) on the clock, against other competitors, is good for the industry. I suspect that anyone interested in IDPA is much, much more likely to be carrying behind the hip. In so far as I've been exposed to the "gun culture" online in other places (than p-f), carrying AIWB is regarded more like a red-headed step child, with the added negative of youwillshootcherballsoff. But hey, IDPA gets to set their own rules, like any other organization. If I shot an IDPA match, I'd just use one of my JM CK IWB3's.

Also, (again, save me looking it up) I watched some "2019 Championship" IDPA videos, and seems like most of the folks were just dropping their mags on the ground through the reload on the clock. I seem to recall previous discussion on IDPA you could not do that, it was a rule you had to retain the partially full or empty mag ejected somewhere on you. Has that all changed recently?
    1. No appendix carry in IDPA. You can use an IWB holster in IDPA if that was your question.

2. You can drop a mag with a round in the mag if you pick it up before the course of fire is over, but thats usually only done on accident. Dropping empty mags is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Dropping empty mags is not an issue.
    Incorrect. If I drop an empty mag but the slide is forward and I have a round in the chamber, it's a procedural.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

No.
    8.6.2 H. Magazine carriers must be worn in a location on the belt so that the front edge of the carrier or magazine is
    behind the shooter’s hipbone.

Dropping empty mags is not an issue.
    You may drop an empty magazine from under an empty chamber. This normally at slide lock, but if your gun does not go to slide lock when empty, you may still drop the magazine. But you must retain even an empty magazine if there is a round in the chamber, and certainly retain a partly loaded magazine.

Caution, if you "stow" a partial magazine back in its carrier on the Tac Load, be sure to take it out and reload it for the next stage, likewise your Unload and Show Clear magazine. Reloading with three when you expected ten is not a good feeling.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Reloading with three when you expected ten is not a good feeling.
    Nope, I would never do that - well, maybe not. Haha. Both games have their own silliness. I just like trigger behind the square range boredom. So I comply and let the games argue over millisecond technique differences. AWIB doesn't work for me, so have or ball or not.

My gun is an EDC, that's my focus. Skills with that. Is revolver shooting dead in USPSA? I did like shooting my J's in club IDPA matches. I doubt that would go over here. Have to see what the IDPA matches, a distance away, are like when the weather breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Incorrect. If I drop an empty mag but the slide is forward and I have a round in the chamber, it's a procedural.
    Fair point. I was thinking of a slide lock reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    No.
    8.6.2 H. Magazine carriers must be worn in a location on the belt so that the front edge of the carrier or magazine is
    behind the shooter’s hipbone.

You may drop an empty magazine from under an empty chamber. This normally at slide lock, but if your gun does not go to slide lock when empty, you may still drop the magazine. But you must retain even an empty magazine if there is a round in the chamber, and certainly retain a partly loaded magazine.

Caution, if you "stow" a partial magazine back in its carrier on the Tac Load, be sure to take it out and reload it for the next stage, likewise your Unload and Show Clear magazine. Reloading with three when you expected ten is not a good feeling.
    Thanks Caleb and Jim. Appreciate the clarification and you correcting my impression.

Being required to retain an empty mag is extra dumb. I was not previously aware of that particular nuance. I suppose the justification is to make it easier for the RO to know whether dropped mags are empty or not?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Being required to retain an empty mag is extra dumb. I was not previously aware of that particular nuance. I suppose the justification is to make it easier for the RO to know whether dropped mags are empty or not?
    No, it's to discourage round-counting. You're not supposed to know that you've shot exactly enough shots to have an empty magazine but not be at slide lock, because in a Tactical Situation you wouldn't be counting rounds. Yes, it's a dumb rule.

User Tag List