Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

IDPA - appendix carry?

Thought this might make interesting conversation.

What is PF thoughts on if IDPA were to allow appendix carry? I can hear the powers that be "UH, NO - NO, NOT HAPPENING". What do you think it would take for them to ever allow it to happen?

Example - what if you had to have 2 separate classifier results of expert or better before being cleared to shoot from appendix? Do you think that would show a competent level of safe gun handling skill and awareness to be trusted to shoot from appendix?

I know there are some pretty valid arguments against - there are a lot of new shooters in IDPA, I would bet it is the first action pistol sport people try, and especially brand new shooters in general. I don't think it would be good at all to allow new shooters or unkown shooters to show up and shoot from appendix - but I think IDPA can't or at least shouldn't continue to ignore an elephant in the room, people can and do safely shoot from appendix position. Lot's of folks safely shoot, train, practice and even compete from appendix. I feel or think that number of people continues to grow - but then again, maybe I just go to more classes with these people and follow more of them on instagram.

Thoughts?
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

I know IDPA just probably doesn't care and "we've been doin it this way fer years".

I shoot USPSA and IDPA and like and appreciate them both. I have a vision of a perfect world where I could shoot USPSA from my gamer gear and shoot IDPA from appendix and only have to practice with 2 different set ups. Mixing in a third set up of gear to train and practice with is growing old. I know I could just not shoot IDPA but I have fare more IDPA matches available that are closer and easier on my schedule to attend. I do find IDPA to be a fun, good sport to shoot but GAWD I hate wearing and shooting in a vest. I don't do strong side concealed cause - I never have carried there, it is painful for my shoulder and it doesn't conceal at all for me.

I would love to play the game that requires concealment with my actual concealed carry position. Maybe I'm just dreaming. Or maybe all the old timers will retire some day and a new group of leadership will look at it differently.

I shoot uspsa exclusively in the appendix position from concielment. I see no reason why it should be against the rules. Yes there are new shooters in idpa but the same goes for uspsa and It does not seem to be a problem there. I will say I'm an outlier and I get allot of sideways looks when I go to a new club where I'm not known. The key is to be well practiced. Once people see me shoot for the first time they ease up and come around to what I'm doing. I usually end up with compliments from people by the end of the day.

So yes I agree with you, I see no reason why IDPA limits people's choices in thier carry positions when other competitive shooting sports let it go without issue.

I get their concerns but would like them to allow it. The last time it was brought up, the leadership seemed to double down on not just prohibiting AIWB, but making sure that charitably-minded match directors knew it wasn't allowed even at the club level for no score.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I get their concerns but would like them to allow it. The last time it was brought up, the leadership seemed to double down on not just prohibiting AIWB, but making sure that charitably-minded match directors knew it wasn't allowed even at the club level for no score.
    Hey man, I just want to let you know you were my inspiration years ago to compete with my carry gear from concielment. I too find it to be extremely satisfying! My goal this summer is to make master with my carry gear.

Site Supporter
    I wish the'd allow it - I dislike some things about IDPA, but there is something mentally challenging about having to complete a problem according to their recipe for order of operations. I find it helps me think while shooting better.

It's also the reason why I'm switching platforms, running a dot, and a light, from appendix and shooting USPSA in this setup, and will probably just do PCC for IDPA.

miller_man: Availability of a certain type of action pistol sport is a great reason to go with that sport. If there's IDPA but no USPSA, I think it's a great idea to shoot IDPA even if the equipment situation is not ideal.

---

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Hey man, I just want to let you know you were my inspiration years ago to compete with my carry gear from concielment. I too find it to be extremely satisfying! My goal this summer is to make master with my carry gear.
    That is awesome! Thank you for saying so. I have always found it really fun and satisfying and I'm glad you do too. Good luck in your journey to make Master - keep at it and I bet you will make it!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I've been playing locally with a G19.5 with a comp and a full size X300 in a tenicor appendix holster. That rig just shoves me into open class. Truth is that it doesn't matter what class. I still compete and get better with my carry gun.

And yes, I get the strangest looks at new clubs.

I would like to try to shoot some simpler courses of fire at the local IDPA club once in a while. Note: it is my carry gun and that is always what IDPA promoted: shooting what you actually carry.

I think IDPA is in a position to gain back production shooters from USPSA. I think IDPA could help themselves by allowing AIWB. I would love to shoot carry optics from AIWB. I don’t think it’ll ever happen. My local IDPA club is all but dead. Last time I went there were about 12 shooters and most of them were 60 or older. No new blood in the pipeline here in that sport. USPSA in my area is heavily skewed to open and PCC. Carry optics is growing too.

Speaking of USPSA I really don’t know what their current line of thinking is on equipment rules. Production for an actual concealed carry gun doesn’t really exist in USPSA any longer. Carry optics is basically open now. I wonder if they are going to bring in two new divisions, CO and Production light, to be more closely aligned with IPSC?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    miller_man: Availability of a certain type of action pistol sport is a great reason to go with that sport. If there's IDPA but no USPSA, I think it's a great idea to shoot IDPA even if the equipment situation is not ideal.

---

I am super fortunate - both are pretty available in my area. I am much more interested and invested in USPSA, but I have found I do enjoy partaking in both. But I only get 1 saturday a month to be able to attend USPSA (which limits it to my availability (family schedule)) and plus it eats up a majority of a Saturday. Compare to the IDPA, 1st and 3rd Thursday nights - 3-4 hours, lot less time invested, on a lot less important/busy day and it's twice a month. But still, I will choose USPSA to be "my" action pistol sport, no contest.

I have myself shot a couple months of USPSA from AIWB (don't we all secretly wanna be another Gabe White?!?) and plan on probably doing so again in the future but I have a goal to make master class in Carry optics first.

User Tag List