Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA - appendix carry?

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    It's still faster (especially over a whole match) to just shoot at a speed where you can shoot 90-95ish percent of the available points. This makes it a slightly slower pace than USPSA minor (around 90% usually fastest), and a bit slower than major(80-85% usually fastest). Unless you're shooting lots of mikes, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the time needed to assess, reacquire, and shoot being faster. I'll make up a shot that I call out of the -0 while I'm in the process of shooting (assuming it won't have a reload consequence) because that's almost always faster (only takes .25-.5 depending on target difficulty), but actually reassessing uncalled bad shots seems slower.
    That's what I did, and it was a winning strategy. But there were numerous opportunities to scan and make up, and it would have been a major scoring advantage.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

*edit* Nevermind. I'm too stupid to understand a word play joke. Figured it out in my own slow way. *edit*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    It's still faster (especially over a whole match) to just shoot at a speed where you can shoot 90-95ish percent of the available points. This makes it a slightly slower pace than USPSA minor (around 90% usually fastest), and a bit slower than major(80-85% usually fastest). Unless you're shooting lots of mikes, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the time needed to assess, reacquire, and shoot being faster. I'll make up a shot that I call out of the -0 while I'm in the process of shooting (assuming it won't have a reload consequence) because that's almost always faster (only takes .25-.5 depending on target difficulty), but actually reassessing uncalled bad shots seems slower.
    This is exactly my conclusion / adopted practice.
    Visually assessing holes and re-engaging would usually only be helpful for a miss (-5), although potentially slightly advantageous for “cleaning up” a -3, as long as it was detected quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    After shooting a group of targets, they visually inspected their hits and if there were any outside of the Down-0 circle, they would shoot makeups. At 1s per point down, there's plenty of time to do that.
    Ah, I see. That sort of thing would never even occur to me to do - as others have said, if I'm sure I have a miss due to reading the sights/calling the shot, or I just happen to catch a flash view of a target and notice it for some reason, then sure, I'd throw another shot at that target, but specifically pausing to assess arrays of targets for mikes/bad hits a standard part of the shooting process? Ugh. So much wasted time...

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Ah, I see. That sort of thing would never even occur to me to do - as others have said, if I'm sure I have a miss due to reading the sights/calling the shot, or I just happen to catch a flash view of a target and notice it for some reason, then sure, I'd throw another shot at that target, but specifically pausing to assess arrays of targets for mikes/bad hits a standard part of the shooting process? Ugh. So much wasted time...
    Exactly, and IMO it shouldn't. Consider: the cost of 1 point down is 1 sec, and there is a visible target array of 6 targets. That's 12 shots. It takes maybe 1sec to scan for hits, or maybe you remember where you were down points. Even down 2 could make it advantageous to go back and clean up hits--let alone down more.

And, this approach encourages a hero-or-zero shooting style (exactly the opposite of what the newer IDPA rule set was supposed to do). My estimate is that this works below a certain level of shooting. Above that, switching to shot-calling might be required for a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    How does the SO watch the holstering? This is not a criticism but a question.
    It varies, but in my experience SO/ROs aren't very concerned about holstering. On make ready, as long as the gun is in the proper condition, all's good with most ROs. After the stage, they instruct the shooter to unload, show clear, hammer down, holster. One the gun is in the holster, the job is done.

I have only very rarely seen any RO comment on a speed/slam holster or a fishing expedition around the holster mouth. I've commented far more times than all the other ROs I've seen do it put together. The dangerously holstering shooter is usually resentful, despite me trying to be as helpful and gentle as I know how. Honestly, I'm getting tired of mentioning it. I have seen zero AIWB shooters holster dangerously.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post

How does the SO watch the holstering? This is not a criticism but a question.
    With my eyes

If the need to babysit a shooter is required I step up to their strong side just behind their 180 and can see everything I need to. Adding to what Cluster observed, all the AIWB guys I have run are aware of the "risks" and their holster game is on point.

EDIT: oops completely wrong IDPA AIWB thread

https://www.facebook.com/ShootIDPA/p...2163920193911/

Thank you to the members that completed our AIWB survey. We have collected the responses and want to share the results. At this time we are going over this data with our rules committee and no decisions have been made as of yet. We will be publishing more surveys soon, as we want to learn more about our membership. Any future surveys will be announced on all our social media channels, in the weekly email the Tactical Brief, and on the IDPA website. https://bit.ly/AIWBIDPA

Name:  AIWB-Infographic.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  23.9 KB
    Last edited by Artemas2; 01-10-2022 at 09:12 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It varies, but in my experience SO/ROs aren't very concerned about holstering. On make ready, as long as the gun is in the proper condition, all's good with most ROs. After the stage, they instruct the shooter to unload, show clear, hammer down, holster. One the gun is in the holster, the job is done.

I have only very rarely seen any RO comment on a speed/slam holster or a fishing expedition around the holster mouth. I've commented far more times than all the other ROs I've seen do it put together. The dangerously holstering shooter is usually resentful, despite me trying to be as helpful and gentle as I know how. Honestly, I'm getting tired of mentioning it. I have seen zero AIWB shooters holster dangerously.
    Shot at the club where there was a fatal holstering incident (note it was in USPSA and I was shooting IDPA there). They were very concerned with telling folks to look at their holster. Since I have a pretty automatic reholster nowadays, they told me to look at it.

New rules coming out, effective June 1.
    AIWB is IN
    15 SHOTS in SSP, 10 (from 8) in CCP.

It appears the Cooper Reload will be allowable. You still may not drop a magazine with ammo in it, but there is now nothing said about the chamber.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List