Page 79 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Here’s a comparison of the Yojimbo and Salt2 to some of the others in my collection. Note how the Spydercos have in-swept grips with a deep front finger groove. I sorted them in order from R to L in design: “edge out”, to neutral, to “edge in”.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here’s a comparison of the Yojimbo and Salt2 to some of the others in my collection. Note how the Spydercos have in-swept grips with a deep front finger groove. I sorted them in order from R to L in design: “edge out”, to neutral, to “edge in”.

It may have been here or TPI where we had an in-depth discussion about point angle in FGEI and RGEI. I think you were involved, I remember Jody H was. It was illustrative to me how while there is a general spectrum, the limits of what is a feasible design for either grip is personal, I suppose due to hand/wrist geometry and mobility.

More concretely, I would agree that the Spyderco Delica is very clearly biased towards an edge out grip. I always found my old EDC of an Endura unworkable edge in. I had recently stolen back one of the Delicas from the wife, and have found it ok, if not ideal, edge in. Similarly, the Kershaw CQC-5K that I know we both like I consider perfectly workable for edge in, even though it's not designed that way.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter

Canis Blade Tip

I really want to like the Yojimbo, and would be all over a smaller version if it had:

1) A symmetrical grip that works when held edge in. 2) A thicker and more durable tip. The Yojimbo grind is so fine that it's almost certain to get bent if used for daily tasks*.

*I get that it's a purpose-build defensive folder, but if I'm going to carry a purpose-built defensive-only knife it will be a Clinch Pick or Pikal. My folders are all multi-purpose.

I have a Yojimbo and the visual fragility of the blade tip concerns me. That said, it’s been just fine in my normal use.

I also have the Canis. The Canis blade shape and size s similar to the Yojimbo. However, the blade tip is notcably "beeefier".

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...8CF/Canis/1881

Name:  20230124_115210.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  20230124_115245.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  32.5 KB

From the Big Empty, ELN.

Site Supporter

What is the knife third from the left, next to the Pikal?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I have a Yojimbo and the visual fragility of the blade tip concerns me. That said, it’s been just fine in my normal use.

I also have the Canis. The Canis blade shape and size s similar to the Yojimbo. However, the blade tip is notcably "beeefier".

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...8CF/Canis/1881

Name:  20230124_115210.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  20230124_115245.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  32.5 KB

From the Big Empty, ELN.
    A few years back I dropped a Yojimbo from waist high (cutting something and being inattentive). It drove into the hardwood floor, stayed upright for a fraction of a second and then simply bent over to the side (still embedded into the floor). Needless to say the tip was completely bent.

I have a Canis because of the stronger tip and while it is an excellent knife for forward grip -edge out use, it is totally unsuitable for reverse grip-edge in use.

I'd like to see a Canis blade that isn't angled but rather straight.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    What is the knife third from the left, next to the Pikal?
    Kizer Swaggs Swayback. CPM-4V. Great deal, IMO for $75.
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KUV...nter-exclusive
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I Didn’t Know This Thread Existed!

I used to have way more Spyderco knives. My current collection: Chaparral Ti, Nirvana, Native Fluted Ti, PM2 S110v, Sage 5. I don’t remember what my wife has…

Name:  F5EAF84A-6361-4487-BC04-CF44C8CD136F.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  36.4 KB

I just recently picked up my first Spyderco, a UKPK Salt. I’m “wave curious” and digging around today I found the Wise Men Fang but the Salt isn’t listed in the model selection. Is the Salt similar to any other model?

Name:  5BD310B9-C3F5-441D-BD75-F2885B1BEB55.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  81.8 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Try using the zip-tie modification. It works pretty well on most spydercos.

User Tag List