Page 70 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Anyone seeing finish issues with Seki City knives? I was handling @Flamingo's new Waved Delica today. And for the most part it was precisely what I expect from Spyderco, except the finish inside the Spydiehole. It was rough, there are visible tool marks inside of the hole, and a noticeable edge/burr all the way around the hole. The edge caught my attention when thumbing it open, it was almost, but not quite sharp enough to slice my thumb. Looking closely then, I saw the tool marks. I ended up breaking the edge down with a fine stone and running a buffer and some polishing compound inside the hole. That made the tool marks visible but not feelable, the edge is present but softer. You would probably have to more aggressively go after it to get it really clean, since it's a hardened blade.

I have not previously encountered a Japanese or USA made Spyderco with that lack of detail in finishing. The tool marks really caught me by surprise.

I guess, I expect that kind of finish on a $30-60 Chinesium knife, even a Spyderco. But the Seki City knives have always been a step up from those in my experience much closer to USA made stuff (and sometimes superior to USA made knives). In particular because a Waved Delica is basically a $100 knife, I find it a bit off putting overall.
    No issues with any of a sample size of about (30) Pacific Salts. Definitely squared and abrupt. But not to the point it would cut you. Black coated blades, so no visible tool marks. Fit-and-finish is nice in all other respects.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Anyone seeing finish issues with Seki City knives? I was handling @Flamingo's new Waved Delica today. And for the most part it was precisely what I expect from Spyderco, except the finish inside the Spydiehole. It was rough, there are visible tool marks inside of the hole, and a noticeable edge/burr all the way around the hole. The edge caught my attention when thumbing it open, it was almost, but not quite sharp enough to slice my thumb. Looking closely then, I saw the tool marks. I ended up breaking the edge down with a fine stone and running a buffer and some polishing compound inside the hole. That made the tool marks visible but not feelable, the edge is present but softer. You would probably have to more aggressively go after it to get it really clean, since it's a hardened blade.

I have not previously encountered a Japanese or USA made Spyderco with that lack of detail in finishing. The tool marks really caught me by surprise.

I guess, I expect that kind of finish on a $30-60 Chinesium knife, even a Spyderco. But the Seki City knives have always been a step up from those in my experience much closer to USA made stuff (and sometimes superior to USA made knives). In particular because a Waved Delica is basically a $100 knife, I find it a bit off putting overall.
    I had a couple of rough finished spydie holes, a hit with the fine stone 9f a sharp maker fixed it.

pat

Site Supporter
    Most recent folding Knife purchase to “replace’’ Spyderco Cat I had to leave in NYC when I failed to put it in home bound checked baggage.

Spyderco Waved Dragonfly. VG-10. Forearm Hair shaving shave from the box. Easily maintained with a few passes on the edges of a Sharpmaker Fine Rod.

Big enough to get a solid grip given my Outdoor Research L sized hands.

Small and light enough to disappear in a suit pants/slacks pocket.

I like it very much.
    Name:  321AE992-39AB-46FF-BEC3-1308B5641590.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  62.4 KB
    Name:  3D7CCB62-4B7D-4327-80B5-B729347B9AD6.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  41.3 KB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Most recent folding Knife purchase to “replace’’ Spyderco Cat I had to leave in NYC when I failed to put it in home bound checked baggage.

Spyderco Waved Dragonfly. VG-10. Forearm Hair shaving shave from the box. Easily maintained with a few passes on the edges of a Sharpmaker Fine Rod.

Big enough to get a solid grip given my Outdoor Research L sized hands.

Small and light enough to disappear in a suit pants/slacks pocket.

I like it very much.
    Name:  321AE992-39AB-46FF-BEC3-1308B5641590.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  62.4 KB
    Name:  3D7CCB62-4B7D-4327-80B5-B729347B9AD6.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  41.3 KB
    I quite like the Dragonfly. We have two: a ZDP-189, and a tattoo in VG-10. I just put a wire clip back on the ZDP, since I had one. But I really like carrying it without, so I may remove it again.

Name:  A5BA1431-1BA6-4BD2-8F17-837A02A16D18.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  73.8 KB
    Last edited by Willard; 09-03-2022 at 05:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Duelist

You are definitely on to something- a clip less Dragonfly (waved or not) would be an intersection of function/form/quality that would be very tough to beat for a multi jurisdictional edc.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    Just Arrived~ with Izula for size comparison

Attachment 93208

@momano that's a useful pic for me to examine the grip on the Subway. I've carried an Izula on and off for years, and for me it's a 3.5 finger grip. I'm guessing the Subway Bowie is a 2 finger grip?

User Tag List