Page 52 of 103 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I need to replace my Military, my way favorite EDC blade. I suspect one of the kids "borrowed" it and lost it. Hopefully in their room. One of the original 440V versions, bought after a factory tour with Patrick Glesser and Vince. Spyderco no longer does factory tours.

Buuuut, I get a uniform allowance yearly, and it can wait for that. The SpidieChef is calling. I don't think I will ever get a pretty, inlaid large Sebenza that I have lusted after for a couple of decades now. A Spydie blade giving Chris Reeves credit (maybe royalties, too?) looks fabulous. Might just have give myself a Christmas presant and accept what I can get.

pat
    Pat,

FWIW, many folks I know, who like the look of the "chef" as I do, have compained about the feel in hand due to the thin profile of the grip. Not as locked in as a Military, nor as friendly to the hand.

Not trying to talk you out of it, simply commenting on observations I've read before ever jumping myself. (And it kept me from doing so.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Now that it's been out a while, what do people think of the Smock?
    I bought one about 6 months ago. Overall I like it. The steel is decent and holds an edge alright. Easy to sharpen. I've grown to like the button, blade lock release.The only thing I don't like is the choil on the blade that forms a sort of a hook and hangs up and snags when cutting things like dog food bags or mulch where you take long sweeping cutting strokes. I'll eventually get around to reprofiling that and it should fix my one real complaint. Also I swapped out the standard pocket clip with a deep carry one. I still don't know why knife companies even put non deep carry clips o. Knives...

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I need to replace my Military, my way favorite EDC blade. I suspect one of the kids "borrowed" it and lost it. Hopefully in their room. One of the original 440V versions, bought after a factory tour with Patrick Glesser and Vince. Spyderco no longer does factory tours.

Buuuut, I get a uniform allowance yearly, and it can wait for that. The SpidieChef is calling. I don't think I will ever get a pretty, inlaid large Sebenza that I have lusted after for a couple of decades now. A Spydie blade giving Chris Reeves credit (maybe royalties, too?) looks fabulous. Might just have give myself a Christmas presant and accept what I can get.

pat
    I guess the palm to the forehead question is why not another military?

I think the paramilitary 2 is a better all-round knife than the military. If you're looking for something different.

The spidey chef is designed to cut on a surface not in space. Most of the cutting that people do outside of say the kitchen is in space not on a surface. I don't believe the geometry is ideal for an everyday type use knife.

I have a Sebenza. It's very nice and to me is more of a bucket knife. A quality Spyderco will kick its ass in performance all day long.

I agree with the suggestion for a Paramilitary 2. That's the Easy button for Spyderco knives. Another option is the Shaman. Or an Amalgam. I had my Amalgam modified to remove the flipper. See below.
    Another option is the Cold Steel Recon 1. That's the knife that I've come to carry the most lately.

Name:  9F8D43BF-C645-4F8A-A939-FFCBB5AE7680.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  1588D3AC-C76B-491F-8214-69A5F5909149.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  76.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Name:  9F8D43BF-C645-4F8A-A939-FFCBB5AE7680.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  1588D3AC-C76B-491F-8214-69A5F5909149.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  76.0 KB
    You use it as your defensive piece or has it been decent with utility?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    You use it as your defensive piece or has it been decent with utility?
    I just received it yesterday so I don’t have any experience yet!

The plan was to carry it for self defense as it was designed for untrained people to use. Anatomically it makes sense as a “flail and slash” last ditch weapon.

I don’t have plans for using it as a utility knife, I keep Gerber multi-tools in the car / work bag and usually that’s close enough.

I always thought they were interesting but never got around to buying one. Seems like what you said, a flail and slash knife but probably not for stabbing. Probably do well as a seatbelt and cord cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I just received it yesterday so I don’t have any experience yet!

The plan was to carry it for self defense as it was designed for untrained people to use. Anatomically it makes sense as a “flail and slash” last ditch weapon...
    The S-curve was designed by Sal Glesser as a one-trick pony, but it’s pretty good at the trick. Check this out:

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I would not want to be on the wrong end of that blade.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List