Page 44 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

PM2 or Delica are great starting points.

Both are available with high-end steels I would not get the standard version unless it's a beater.

I have several axis knives and for me they are fine if I'm carrying in the back corner of my front pocket of a pair of jeans. However I frequently carry IWB or loose in a pocket and much prefer the stay closed bias of a lockback. I have had several different types of non-lock back knives open IWB or in my pocket.

The axis is fun to fidget with though.

I also much prefer a knife with a ricasso or a choil in the event of a lock failure to protect my hand. (Many will say the axis will not fail but rest assured if it gets debris in it it can fail to lock open)

So for me it is not the type of lock but rather what features it brings to the table. The best feature an axis knife has is the ability to close it quickly IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Anyone converted from benchmade to spyderco and not missed the axis lock?
    I prefer Spyderco to Benchmade, although the Spyderco P'Kal I have in my pocket right now has an equivalent lock to the axis. (See the image below). Most of Benchmade's blade shapes aren't to my taste.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I can't say I don't miss that (insert "A" word) lock, but here at Casa del Gato, we dropped Benchmade for good and moved on. We just have a few Mini Griptilians left, but have moved to Spyderco.

(And certain USA-made Kershaws which have endeared themselves to us.)
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I never bought a spyderco. I like the benchmade axis lock. I want to try a spyderco out and have no real knife stores local to me. Should I try a tenacious because it’s cheap? Or just go big and buy a PM2 or manic 2 since knives are much cheaper than guns?(keep in mind that I only had a griptilian since surfing this section of PF. Since then I’ve ordered another benchmade, a civivi elementun, and a Doug Ritter hogue all within the last two weeks lol)

My first good knife was a Benchmade Griptilian. My second was a Spyderco Para 3. I haven’t bought a Benchmade for myself since (though I did buy my wife a Bugout). Short version is the Compression Lock is the equal of the Axis lock in every way IMO, and I prefer Spyderco’s ergonomics, blade shapes, etc etc etc to anything I’ve seen from Benchmade. I thought the Bugout I bought for the wife would make me have to have my own, but it kinda did the opposite.

I will go against the pack and say do Not buy a Manix 2 if you are expecting an Axis lock clone. The concepts are similar but Spyderco’s caged ball bearing lock is stiffer. I actually prefer it and have no issues closing any of my four Manix family members one handed. Others have complained mightily that they couldn’t disengage the lock one handed.

I think the best models to get into Spyderco are probably the Paramilitary 2, the Delica 4, and the Para 3 Lightweight.

All that said, if you love your Benchmade knives and see no reason to switch, rock on. I have nothing against their knives, I’ve just found something else I like a lot better.

The Axis lock patent expired recently, so there are a number of makers out there now using an equivalent cross-bar type lock. If you want to stick with the Axis lock but move away from Benchmade, I recommend the Doug Ritter RSK Mk1-G2 manufactured by Hogue. Some people claim it is better than Benchmade's offerings. Sold exclusively at Knifeworks: https://knifeworks.com/kw-exclusives/
    I personally can vouch for the Spyderco Manix, both the G10 and Lightweight versions. They are not a small knife and use up a lot of pocket space due to their width, but I just forget the Lightweight is there, due to its incredibly light weight, duh
    The great advantage of Spyderco's ball bearing lock is that you will never break the lock's coil spring, unlike Benchmade's more fragile omega springs.

Site Supporter
    I never bought a spyderco. I like the benchmade axis lock. I want to try a spyderco out and have no real knife stores local to me. Should I try a tenacious because it’s cheap? Or just go big and buy a PM2 or manic 2 since knives are much cheaper than guns?(keep in mind that I only had a griptilian since surfing this section of PF. Since then I’ve ordered another benchmade, a civivi elementun, and a Doug Ritter hogue all within the last two weeks lol)

A Manix 2 is a great knife, though not exactly a small one - but neither is the Tenacious. I really adore my Manix, which was from a sprint run in M4. The Para 2 would be a great slicer, too, at about the same size. For a more compact blade, try the Para 3 or Sage with compression lock, or a Delica or Native. No warts on the CPM S30V or VG-10, but there are other steels available if you need to spend more money.

If you just want to try out the ergos and Spyderhole without making a large investment, anything from the Tenacious series would do. They are made of a decent Chinese steel that is at least the equivalent of AUS-8: very corrosion resistant, easy to maintain, not a standout for edge retention, but takes a great edge and holds it well enough for most realistic day-to-day needs. My Tenacious is a spare nowadays, and rides in an emergency bag most of the year and my hunting kit in the fall.

Benchmade fanboy here…

My ultimate dream knife is a Bemchmade axis lock with a Spyderco thumb hole.

You can, or could, get a Griptillian this way, which means a fine, but I want something a bit more svelte and less bulky.

For me, when I buy a Spyderco it’s because they offer something that doesn’t. Like the Salt series which, IME, has no equivalent in the BM line when it comes to rustproofing.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Did some palm tree pruning today in the front yard.

For those who haven't used a Spyderco fully serrated blade, it's extremely satisfying. Like a pocket knife crossed with a chainsaw.

Palm fronds are a tough, slippery material, but the SE just blasted through them with ease. A lot more effective then trying to cut through the fronds with my PE Military, which tends to slide off the fronds and requires just pressing straight through them with sheer muscle power.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Did some palm tree pruning today in the front yard.

For those who haven't used a Spyderco fully serrated blade, it's extremely satisfying. Like a pocket knife crossed with a chainsaw.

Palm fronds are a tough, slippery material, but the SE just blasted through them with ease. A lot more effective then trying to cut through the fronds with my PE Military, which tends to slide off the fronds and requires just pressing straight through them with sheer muscle power.

One of the dudes over on Spyderco forum got me to give SE a try for some more tasks than I’d ever considered before. I’m becoming a convert in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    One of the dudes over on Spyderco forum got me to give SE a try for some more tasks than I’d ever considered before. I’m becoming a convert in a hurry.
    Yes, I saw that, that was a great thread. Glad to see SE is making a bit of a resurgence in the Spyderco community. Spyderco has always done great serrations, but their latest 'gen' of serrations use a shallower profile that really work wonderfully and are less prone to snagging.

Sal mentioned in one of those threads that what really killed the SE market was not so much the improvement in blade steels mitigating the need for edge retention, but so many other companies making inferior SE patterns that it tanked the popularity of SE blades across the board.

You do lose some precision in cutting with SE, but the increase in overall increase in cutting power is pretty outrageous. Its kinda like going from 9mm to full house .357 mag, theres some 'whoa factor' at first.

User Tag List