Page 29 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Special request for a favor: does anyone own both a Delica 4 and a Dragonfly 2? If so, would you mind possibly posting a picture of them, opened, side by side?

I like my Dragonfly 2 a lot, but at times I kind of want something I can get more than 2 and 1/2 fingers on. Ideally the grip part would be about 4”. It’s just a little hard to tell how big the Delica is online.

Thanks!
    Give me a day or two. My impulse control has struck again.

@RJ maybe you want to look at either a Chaparral or a Native 5. I believe both are newer designs than the Delica.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Special request for a favor: does anyone own both a Delica 4 and a Dragonfly 2? If so, would you mind possibly posting a picture of them, opened, side by side?

I like my Dragonfly 2 a lot, but at times I kind of want something I can get more than 2 and 1/2 fingers on. Ideally the grip part would be about 4”. It’s just a little hard to tell how big the Delica is online.

Thanks!
    @RJ ...I don't have a Delica 4 to put in the line up, but here is a hasty pic of a DFly2, a Salt 1, and a couple of others mentioned here:

Name:  Comparison Spydies - Copy.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  66.1 KB

From top to bottom:

Native 5 lightweight, Salt 1, Chaparral, Dragonfly 2 (ZDP)

ETA: I believe the Delica 4 has a longer handle than the Delica 3 (and the Salt 1)...here's a link to a reference pic:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MRLKOq1yA...0/IMG_3708.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    [MENTION=9257] @RJ maybe you want to look at either a Chaparral or a Native 5. I believe both are newer designs than the Delica.
    Will do.

Site Supporter

Thanks!

I got you. Sage 2, Dragonfly ZDP189, Delica Wharncliff
    Name:  DF7EB479-267E-49B8-9E21-B7D6E2C08064.jpeg
Views: 444
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  ACA434E2-ABD9-4C71-8C86-C011FC4E29F8.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  54.3 KB

@RJ

here’s a Native 5 LW, a Para 3 LW, a Dragonfly 2, and a Delica 4. Of the 4, the Delica and the Para 3 LW are my favorites. Probably a slight edge to the Delica, but the Para 3 LW is awesome. My wife has a Delica and a Para 3 LW also. She loves them both.

FWIW, when I carry the Dragonfly I drop it in the pocket normally as opposed to using the clip. I don’t care all that much for the way the Dragonfly carries when clipped. The others in the pic I always use the pocket clip.

A final note. I bought one of the blue handled Delicas to use at work. That thing has probably cut more stuff than any other knife I own. I probably cut something with it every day I go to work. It’s taken it like a champ.

Smile

I carried the Native 5 LW for about a year, and I really like it, but it was just a tad big for me, so I went (back) to the DF2. From what I hear from members here, the Chaparral is right in-between. If my DF2 ever gives out, I'll seriously look at one of those.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Thanks!
    Thanks all. Much appreciate the photo's and PMs. I have enough info for the moment. I think I'll keep what I have right now, which is a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian and the DF2.

Name:  IMG_8040.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  62.9 KB

I carried that BM Mini-Grip for a few years before I bought the DF2 Feb of last year. It's a bit longer than the DF2, as you can see, and quite a good bit heavier, at 2.8 oz vs. 1.2 oz. The scales are also a bit fat, but as a pocket-carry it certainly does everything I need.

I don't think I'll ever part with it though, since I received it as a gift. It was involved in one of the earliest Karma threads here on p-f (before there was a Karma forum) when out of the blue @LSP552 messaged me one day after a comment in a knife thread and asked me if I wanted to have it, since it was a little smaller than the full size Griptilian I had bought and been using (I wear size M gloves.)

When I received the mini-Grip, it suited me so well, I ended up karma'ing my large Griptilian to another p-f member, for free, to pay the generosity I received from Ken forward. It's been to BM twice for the free sharpening service, but lately I've tried to learn to keep it with an edge myself. It's not going to shave a gnats whisker but it is good to slice paper when I get done.

I really like the DF2, however. I find the FRN handle is great. It really carries like a much larger knife. It's my primary go-to for the ubiquitous daily tasks around the house. I did manage to lose the wire clip. Some moron left it clipped into their pocket, which went through the wash. Clip screws ended up MIA, and I had to order another one from Spyderco CS for $3.95. I did use loc-tite this time, and spoke to the idiot about removing stuff from his pocket before putting shorts in the laundry.

I think, maybe, if I’d bought a mini Griptilian instead of a full-size Griptilian then I may have never become the Spyderco fanboy that I am. My big Grip was kind of a chunk in my pocket so I bought a Para 3. I fell in love with that Para 3, and next thing I knew it had somehow multiplied into a perhaps overboard collection of folding knives with bugs on the blades.... some of which are a good bit larger than the full sized Griptilian (Manix 2XL for example).

I’ve never actually owned a mini griptilian, but I got to handle one after I developed my Spyderco problem and I kinda thought, “Damn, this is nice. I probably could have saved a lot of money if I’d started here.”

I have a full sized Griptillian, received as a gift. It is a pretty big pocketknife. But I think that is where it shines, as an actual working knife, where you know you will be using it, not the "just in case I need to cut someting" role that smaller folders fill.

The thicker/rounder scales make it one of the most comfortable folder I've ever used for cutting a bunch of rope, or wood whittling tasks. I also have big paws, so that may be some of it.

For me, it's an outdoors knife, or for a serious chores day.

User Tag List