Page 26 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Site Supporter

Spyderco fanboy thread

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What do you guys like for a slim Spyderco either for IWB carry or even pocket-clip carry for lightweight dress pants? I'm looking for something lightweight and slim but also appropriate for "office dressy" (as opposed to "office casual" of khaki pants).
    A Waved Delica with MXG Gear deep carry clip works well in a suit pocket. The black powder coated clip is discreet with dark colored dress slacks.

If the wave is not critical, KnifeCenter has some Delicas and Enduras with wood handles.

If a visible clip is okay, a Cold Steel Storm Cloud is gentle on dress slacks (but not when waved open - thumb open it except in emergencies). These are discontinued and available from dealers for much less than suggested retail. This has been my EDC for about 1 1/2 years now.

Edited to correct the dealer with the wood handled Spyderco exclusive - Thanks to the poster below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 08-24-2020 at 09:39 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

What do you guys like for a slim Spyderco either for IWB carry or even pocket-clip carry for lightweight dress pants? I'm looking for something lightweight and slim but also appropriate for "office dressy" (as opposed to "office casual" of khaki pants).

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP2...nter-exclusive
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    A Waved Delica with MXG Gear deep carry clip works well in a suit pocket. The black powder coated clip is discreet with dark colored dress slacks.

If the wave is not critical, BladeHQ has some Delicas and Enduras with wood handles.

If a visible clip is okay, a Cold Steel Storm Cloud is gentle on dress slacks (but not when waved open - thumb open it except in emergencies). These are discontinued and available from dealers for much less than suggested retail. This has been my EDC for about 1 1/2 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thanks guys. Looks like the wood Delica might be a contender, and it comes in .10+ thinner than the wood dradonfly (.041" vs .054")
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP1...nter-exclusive
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think it’ll have to be IWB with the suit pants, not pocket.

The Lil Native itself is actually pretty interesting.

I think my criteria is that it needs to be thin, in both directions, and some amount of panache would be nice as well.
    The Lil Native was a bit of a miss for me--feel is a bit chunky, and the compression lock is probably not at its best in a knife that small. There's lots of good suggestions here, but given your thinness criteria, I'll mention the Chaparral again--it really is. I've got pretty plain tastes, but it is/has been offered in a few varieties with extra panache--check out the Raffir Noble and upcoming Sun and Moon versions and see if either of those work for you.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...arch=chaparral

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    The Lil Native was a bit of a miss for me--feel is a bit chunky, and the compression lock is probably not at its best in a knife that small. There's lots of good suggestions here, but given your thinness criteria, I'll mention the Chaparral again--it really is. I've got pretty plain tastes, but it is/has been offered in a few varieties with extra panache--check out the Raffir Noble and upcoming Sun and Moon versions and see if either of those work for you.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...arch=chaparral
    What about the Native 5 FRN? We're obviously inching a bit bigger, but I think the Native 5 FRN is something of an "improved Delica."
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Lord I am weak.....

Got an email from Blade HQ yesterday that they were sending a free Spyderco with every order over $200.....

So I ordered a wave Endura and a ZDP-189 Endura. Got me a pinch over $200 and I’m getting a Resilience for free. I’m not super excited about a Chinese made Spyderco, but the price is right on it I guess. If nothing else, I won’t feel bad about abusing it.

The two Enduras, I’m really looking forward to. Endura is one of my favorite knife designs anyway, I’ve been wanting to try a waved knife, also.

Maxamet y’all a S110V

My next PM2 is either gonna be S110V or Maxamet and I could use some help deciding.

I know either one is gonna be a bear to sharpen, I’ve accepted that. All the reading I’ve done indicates tells S110V is more corrosion resistant but the Maxamet is less prone to chipping at the edge. Is this true? I think I’d rather have to keep a blade oiled than be trying to fix chipped edges all other things being equal, but I’m always open to advice.

I think as an all-arounder, you may be better served with the 110V than Maxamet. I own both but have not put them through the wringer.

However, a well known forum member on bladeforums and the Spyderco forum did this test with 110V and I think you may find it instructive:

https://knifeinformer.com/spyderco-m...-s110v-review/

Both are great steels, the Maxamet will hold a longer edge for pure cutting, but lacks the corrosion resistance as well as lateral strength. (In other words, no prying.)

Diamond hones will be your friend with either steel.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think as an all-arounder, you may be better served with the 110V than Maxamet. I own both but have not put them through the wringer.

However, a well known forum member on bladeforums and the Spyderco forum did this test with 110V and I think you may find it instructive:

https://knifeinformer.com/spyderco-m...-s110v-review/

Both are great steels, the Maxamet will hold a longer edge for pure cutting, but lacks the corrosion resistance as well as lateral strength. (In other words, no prying.)

Diamond hones will be your friend with either steel.
    Thank you.
    Can I get by with diamond rods on a Sharpmaker or do I 100% need a bench stone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Thank you.
    Can I get by with diamond rods on a Sharpmaker or do I 100% need a bench stone?
    You can definitely get by with the diamond rods on the Sharpmaker as the knife will be delivered sharp and the device excels at keeping them sharp.

Don't let the knife dull before touching up. Keep it sharp by maintaining regularly with a few licks on the brown rods. Every now and again you can use the diamond rods, (if you already own 'em), to cut and shape the carbides at the edge which the ceramic itself is not hard enough to cut. (Gently, let the diamonds do the work. And break them in first on some old cheap knife blades to smooth 'em out first.)

You'll be well pleased, imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List