Page 18 of 102 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Kit Carson loved 440C and D2 back in the day. If it was good enough for Kit, it was good enough.
    Call me old fashioned, but I prefer 440C, 154CM and D2 to pretty much anything else. A D2 Griptilian is in my pocket currently.

I had an interesting discussion with Kyle Defoor about steels. He doesn't care what steel his knives are, as long as he can sharpen them quickly, anywhere in the world, with the bare basics.

Granted, most of us don't have KDF's background or mission parameters, but I think his approach has some merit. It's pretty close to some of the deer hunters I know, who want a steel they can freshen up easily, in the middle of dressing out game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I prefer 440C, 154CM and D2 to pretty much anything else. A D2 Griptilian is in my pocket currently.

I had an interesting discussion with Kyle Defoor about steels. He doesn't care what steel his knives are, as long as he can sharpen them quickly, anywhere in the world, with the bare basics.

Granted, most of us don't have KDF's background or mission parameters, but I think his approach has some merit. It's pretty close to some of the deer hunters I know, who want a steel they can freshen up easily, in the middle of dressing out game.
    My friend Jeff Randall always touted the same philosophy years ago. Which is why low alloy stainless steels, and simple carbon steels steels still have a place in the world.

Nepali Kukris are generally forged from 1060 (from axles). Steel that can be sharpened with files, rocks or what's at hand. Same with machetes around the world...by and large.

I have quite a few knives in the same steels, Mark.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Since 1995 I’ve carried a Spyderco Delica with a half serrated blade. I broke the tip on the first one, I believe it was one of the first generations because it has a plastic clip...still have it. I bought 2 Delica 4 a Few years ago and they’re still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Since 1995 I’ve carried a Spyderco Delica with a half serrated blade. I broke the tip on the first one, I believe it was one of the first generations because it has a plastic clip...still have it...
    For $25 (including shipping) Spyderco will re-grind it.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I went off the deep end this weekend and bought a Para 3 Lightweight and a Chaparral FRN to supplement my PM2 and ClipiTool. I wanted a 3" or less lightweight knife for more regular carry, as over the past two years I've found the PM2 to be a lot of knife in the pocket. I really dig the compression lock and so I was leaning towards the Para 3 Lightweight for that reason, but the Chaparral's dimensions are compelling.

I thought for sure that the Waved Para Military would have been discussed here already. https://bladeops.com/spyderco-para-m...dge-exclusive/

I received mine recently. I haven't decided if it'll replace my Waved Endura for daily carry, but it's a very nice knife for the money.

Emerson openers are not everyones cup of tea....

Quote Originally Posted by krax View Post
    I thought for sure that the Waved Para Military would have been discussed here already. https://bladeops.com/spyderco-para-m...dge-exclusive/

I received mine recently. I haven't decided if it'll replace my Waved Endura for daily carry, but it's a very nice knife for the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    They definitely are my cup of... coffee (not tea). But anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing how the waved Para2 works out. So far, I prefer my ZT 0620 Emerson to most of the Spydercos, but it is discontinued. My favorite waved Spydercos are the P'Kal and the Yojimbo2 with a 5x5 Pickpocket aftermarket wave.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I agree. I owned Emersons for several years, and I thought the Wave was the coolest thing since sliced bread. I would play with that thing every day, just wave-ing the knife out. It works great 98% of the time; the one time I needed it RIGHT NOW, it didn't open all the way. That's when I switched to a fixed blade for "important" stuff.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My friend Jeff Randall always touted the same philosophy years ago. Which is why low alloy stainless steels, and simple carbon steels steels still have a place in the world.
    Some of my favorite knives are O1 which earns an eye roll from some but it makes my life easy and I even like the patina they have, despite my maintenance attempts.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List