Page 15 of 101 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    This makes a Manix, Para 2 or an all black Shaman much more attractive
    I used to have a Manix 2 and I just got a Para 3 today, so it sounds like I like slightly smaller knives than you do. Based on what you posted earlier, I was going to suggest a Manix 2, but maybe the Manix would suit your tastes more. I think I like the lock more on the Manix 2 than the Para 3, but it's early yet.

I’m hovering around Manix or Manix 2 XL as far as Spyderco goes. Something about the XL that draws me in. Probably a silly choice as it’s pretty dang big.

What do we think about the blue S110V Spydercos? Worth the extra few bucks? Does the difference in steel make a big difference?

Will it make women want me, and men want to be me?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    What do we think about the blue S110V Spydercos? Worth the extra few bucks? Does the difference in steel make a big difference?

It'll cut like a bastard...but it's not a steel known for its toughness. So if you abuse it, you may end up with some minor chips to be sharpened out.

Women will fawn over you because you have excellent taste, and they dig purple.

Will you notice a difference? You will if you are doing protracted cutting. The edge will last a lot longer than some other steels because of the high percentage of vanadium carbides. It will also be somewhat more work to sharpen...so diamond hones are recommended to make the task easier.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

@TheRoland

Look at this chart to see the relative cutting power of one steel vs another. Concern yourself with the rightmost two columns. Rockwell hardness and Total amount of the medium cut.

This chart does not measure toughness. Only the relative cutting performance. You'll see 110V is right up there with h the big boys.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Ol0/edit#gid=0

Also, check out this review. Worth the read!

https://knifeinformer.com/spyderco-m...-s110v-review/

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post

The main reason I haven't bought one is because of the color.

S110V will hold a working edge for a long time but a super sharp edge for not much better than S30V...... And S30V does not hold a super sharp edge for very long.

It is not terrible to sharpen it just takes longer..... The trade off is you get a knife that will cut longer.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @TheRoland

Look at this chart to see the relative cutting power of one steel vs another. Concern yourself with the rightmost two columns. Rockwell hardness and Total amount of the medium cut.

This chart does not measure toughness. Only the relative cutting performance. You'll see 110V is right up there with h the big boys.

One of the problems with edge retention tests is how much pressure is allowed to be used.

For instance cutting rope......and if you're allowed to keep cutting as long as the pressure is no more than 20 lb as an example some steels can go forever. What happens if you change that to 7 lb or 4 lb or 40 lb? This would create massively different outcomes.

I understand 20 lb is reasonable and I also understand that 110V can cut for a really long time at that level but it is an arbitrary number. For a working knife it's great. For a personal carry knife it doesn't hold a sharp edge long enough and takes more effort to get back to it. FOR ME.

Just FYI I really like ZDP 189 as it holds a sharp edge for a really long time. Understanding it's my definition of sharp. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    One of the problems with edge retention tests is how much pressure is allowed to be used.

For instance cutting rope......and if you're allowed to keep cutting as long as the pressure is no more than 20 lb as an example some steels can go forever. What happens if you change that to 7 lb or 4 lb or 40 lb? This would create massively different outcomes.

I understand 20 lb is reasonable and I also understand that 110V can cut for a really long time at that level but it is an arbitrary number. For a working knife it's great. For a personal carry knife it doesn't hold a sharp edge long enough and takes more effort to get back to it. FOR ME.
    You can read the actual material, methodology and data here:

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/05/...-knife-steels/

I've had ZDP-189 for a long time. Good stuff. Murray Carter was one of the first smiths to work with it, or at least popularize it as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @TheRoland

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

Damn, I feel old. I remember when 440C was a standard and 154CM was the shit.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List