Page 64 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

I currently have a beat up Salt 1 but lost my ZDP189 Dragonfly and I still haven't made peace with it. Let us know how it stacks up.

Site Supporter

Spyderco Salt Series

I love the salt series. H1 and LC200N are my favorite two steels because I value toughness and easy sharpen-ability. The FRN scales make them light- what's not to like about them? Name:  SpydercoSaltSeries.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  96.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    ...lost my ZDP189 Dragonfly and I still haven't made peace with it.
    That's sad. Really. I still carry my ZDP189 DF every day, but this makes me wonder if I shouldn't.

The DF really is a great little knife that doesn't get enough love IMO.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

What Spyderco should I get next?

Endura k390
    Spydiechef
    Gayle Bradley 2
    Smock
    (Another) PM2

I am pretty undecided overall. The GB2 looks really good but I am concerned about rust with the uncoated M4. The Smock seems awesome but I don't like s30v. The endura would be cool because the k390 should be similar to 10v which I really like, but the lock isn't interesting/"fun" and the price is kind of high for FRN handles. The Spydiechef is the most expensive but might fit my tastes the best; I just wonder if a magnacut version will come out. The PM2 is one of my favorite designs but I have several already.

I'd get the GB2 because I like how it can be used in a reverse grip.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post

Endura k390
    Spydiechef
    Gayle Bradley 2
    Smock
    (Another) PM2

I am pretty undecided overall. The GB2 looks really good but I am concerned about rust with the uncoated M4. The Smock seems awesome but I don't like s30v. The endura would be cool because the k390 should be similar to 10v which I really like, but the lock isn't interesting/"fun" and the price is kind of high for FRN handles. The Spydiechef is the most expensive but might fit my tastes the best; I just wonder if a magnacut version will come out. The PM2 is one of my favorite designs but I have several already.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Endura k390 (5th)
    Spydiechef (3nd)
    Gayle Bradley 2 (2rd)
    Smock (1st)
    (Another) PM2 (4th)

The button lock flipper is something fairly unique in the Spyderco line so that gets my vote, patricularly if you can find it in M390 given your steel concerns.

The GB seems to hit everything well.

The Spydie Chief is also quite nice though I think the GB represents greater value.

The PM2 is a fine knife. You know this given how many you ALREADY have.

The Endura 390 is another plastic handled knife at 120-150 in hand depending on affiliation/source etc. I am pushing away from such plastic knives absent great value or it hitting a very specific niche i.e. Salt series/Rescue applications to include the Byrd one/Travel knife-good enough to use on every vector, few tears if lost, stolen, left behind, taken by/before security/knife blade length from frame out to hit certain not to exceed certain lengths i.e. sub 2, 2.5, 3 or 4.

FWIW/YMMV
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I think the PF answer is to buy them all.
    Lately I’m enjoying my k390 stretch 2 and pm2 crucarta.

As an actual cutting tool I prefer the stretch. .5 mm in thickness compared to the pm2 doesn’t sound like much but It destroys Costco cardboard like nothing else I have.
    I like how the cruwear pm2 feels in the hand and I don’t have to worry about breaking the tip or chipping the edge. It is also very easy to sharpen.

If I was shopping I’d consider one of the wharncliff k390 knives or a k390 police serrated.

Just like you I prefer the pm2 because of how easily it flicks open and closed. If I could customize a spyderco it would be a seki bladed k390 pm2 with 2.5mm blade stock.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post

Endura k390
    Spydiechef
    Gayle Bradley 2
    Smock
    (Another) PM2

I vote for the GB2; if you've never had an M4 blade, they are great. Of course, that is in my non-scientific testing.
    --Jason--

Another vote for GB2...it's one of the patterns I don't own, but I do own and like M4.

The GB models are well received by virtually everyone who owns 'em.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Appreciate the above answers, I really do like the GB2 and Smock

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    I think the PF answer is to buy them all.
    Lately I’m enjoying my k390 stretch 2 and pm2 crucarta.

As an actual cutting tool I prefer the stretch. .5 mm in thickness compared to the pm2 doesn’t sound like much but It destroys Costco cardboard like nothing else I have.
    I like how the cruwear pm2 feels in the hand and I don’t have to worry about breaking the tip or chipping the edge. It is also very easy to sharpen.

If I was shopping I’d consider one of the wharncliff k390 knives or a k390 police serrated.

Just like you I prefer the pm2 because of how easily it flicks open and closed. If I could customize a spyderco it would be a seki bladed k390 pm2 with 2.5mm blade stock.
    The crucarta is exactly the one I was thinking of; I have another cruwear pm2 and love it and the full liners sound interesting.

What I'd REALLY like is either a Yojimbo/Yojumbo or PM2 wharncliffe in a steel such as k390, cruwear, etc and either TICN or DLC coated (or alternatively magnacut)

User Tag List