Page 63 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Looking forward to carrying this but I can't decide if I want to be a Shark or a Jet.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    There are PF rules regarding making statements like this without elaboration --- you may want a refresher. I think I can probably talk the #modshereareshit shit mods out of a suspension, but you'll have to explain yourself on VG10...right...now.

Patrick had framed photos in his office of several of their blade steels having undergone x-ray crystal examination. He took the photos and explained the grain and the carbides and they were all....beautiful. The VG10 was uniform and even textured and fine grained. It was just gorgeous. He explained that VG10 was prettty staiinless, and that it would take and hold a great edge, and yet be easy to resharpen. I immediately went to the Factory Store and bought 3 different VG10 bladed knives to play with. I found all of Patrick's predictions to be true. They make fantastic EDC blades. With the daily use of everything from food prep to butchering small animals (which is, I guess, extreme food prep) to opening mail, braking down boxes, and pretty much anything I need to do day to day. Light stropping on cardboard or the edge of a car window keeps the edge alighed, and I usually only sharpen them every six or so months-whether they need it or not. I have Cold Steels, Benchmades, Kershaws, a couple of Emersons. Unless I have a special need or a wild follicle in my rectum I reach for one of my VG10 blades, my Military in 440V, or my AFCK in D2. The edges don't chip or roll, they are easy to maintain, no discoloration.

On the same trip Patrick showed me some of their tools, like the laser that measures grind angles and symmetry at the cutting edge. The original device using a wire and a scale to determine relative sharpeness, and the rig that dragged a knife along carbide embedded paper to gauge relative edge holding ability. He asked me to take out the AFCK in my pocket and showed me how the scales and steel liners flexed under finger pressure, and then he handed me his Military from his pocket and asked me to do the same. There was no flex and I bought a Military that trip, too.

Spyderco is easily my favorite mass manufacturer of blades, and I like pretty much all blades.

Althoigh I understand Laci Szabo now lives about 90 minutes away from here, so I will need to look at getting new Perrins and a UUK. Oh, and a Felony Stop....

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-05-2022 at 09:50 AM.

VG10 is an excellent steel and chemically very similar to 154CM, CPM154, ATS-34, and RWL34 - Together all of them are steels I simply love for ease of sharpening, edge holding, ease of working with them, and great corrosion resistance.

154CM Chemical Composition:

Carbon 1.05%
    Chromium 14.00%
    Manganese 0.50%
    Molybdenum 4.00%
    Silicon 0.30%

Vs. VG-10 Chemical Composition:

1% Carbon
    15.5 %Chromium
    1% Molybdenum
    0.2% Vanadium
    1.5% Cobalt
    0.5% Manganese

The additional molybdenum in 154/ATS34 steel takes the place of the reduced Chromium and Vanadium vs. VG10 - high similar carbon and manganese content means the steels will sharpen and perform generally the same. The composition of them produces highly similar rust resistance. But Chromium and Vanadium is cheaper than molybdenum, so it's a bit easier to make overall.

Ordered the DLT PM2 exclusive in tan g10 scales and coated 20cv blade, very excited to get it.

I'm thinking of getting the BHQ Sage exclusive with M4 steel next. I hope Spyderco does some more Yojimbo and Yojumbo sprint runs or exclusives soon though.

Does anyone own (or carry) a Spyderco Street Beat? I'm specifically talking about the 3.5" version with black coated VG-10 blade and FRN scales?

on a recent tubing trip, I realized that my Salt ladybug was just too small for my needs, but my regular Salt was too big.

so now I have a Dragonfly on order.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    on a recent tubing trip, I realized that my Salt ladybug was just too small for my needs, but my regular Salt was too big.

I've got a stainless Dragonfly that I picked up a long time ago in VG10,
    neat little knife that cuts considerably beyond it's size

Knifecenter dropped their exclusive Spyderco Shaman in s90v with burlap micarta scales... And I couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Knifecenter dropped their exclusive Spyderco Shaman in s90v with burlap micarta scales... And I couldn't resist
    My feeble attempt at resistance was futile as well. But holy shit do I like the Shaman and surprisingly enough, I currently only have one, which was a Father’s Day gift. I’m looking forward to this one

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Name:  75DCB402-CA17-4C35-8A09-807065D87065.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  C81C62AD-6A7C-4AAE-A127-B0BE0E2C8FF3.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  67.6 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List