Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnacut vs. other steel (split from Spyderco fanboy)

Site Supporter

Magnacut vs. other steel (split from Spyderco fanboy)

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Magnacut really is all it’s hyped up to be. I’ll be getting the Para 3 lightweight magnacut myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    I will be getting the Para 2 magnacut.
    What's so great about Magnacut? Genuine question, I don't know much about steel's.

Very good edge retention, good toughness,sharpens good, and it's stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Magnacut really is all it’s hyped up to be. I’ll be getting the Para 3 lightweight magnacut myself.
    What is it hyped up to be?

Seems like it would be good for a smaller general use fixed blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    What is it hyped up to be?

Seems like it would be good for a smaller general use fixed blade.
    Basically the performance of a high end tool steel, but it’s stainless. In use, it’s very stainless. It has great toughness and wear resistance. It doesn’t seem to chip and I have yet to see a spec of rust despite general kitchen abuse.

Magnacut (depending on the hardness) has S30V class edge retention and M390 class corrosion resistance. With very good toughness for a powder steel. And appears to machine easier than S30 class steels. in my book this would make it a good general use steel if corrosion resistance is high on the list of requirements. (Commonly called balanced)

If Spyderco comes out with an Enuf in this steel I may try it.

I much prefer the characteristics K390 (toughness, and edge retention) And I have acidic sweat and live in a high rainfall area, and the only way I’ve been able to get K390 to spot (or patina) is by putting corrosives on the blade and intentionally let them sit there. (obviously not an ideal steel for kitchen use unless you hand wash your blades)

Been around long enough to not let my skirt get blown up by the next new thing.

K390 exceeds the edge retention of MagnaCut, but not in toughness nor stainlessness.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/...on-resistance/
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thanks for finding that. Larrin is so full of himself and his blog is just a sales pitch. It’s hard to find anything that would disparage his love child. I’m still a bit skeptical, as it is a very new steel. And hardness is pretty critical to its outcome.

For me personally, I would take the edge retention of K390 way over a bit more toughness, or stainless as I’ve never had a problem with those two things

None of these steels at their hardness are truly tough

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Thanks for finding that. Larrin is so full of himself and his blog is just a sales pitch. It’s hard to find anything that would disparage his love child. I’m still a bit skeptical, as it is a very new steel. And hardness is pretty critical to its outcome.

For me personally, I would take the edge retention of K390 way over a bit more toughness, or stainless as I’ve never had a problem with those two things

None of these steels at their hardness are truly tough

I don't think Larrin is the one that's so full of himself.

He's been extremely helpful to all those who reach out to him, in my experience. And hasn't asked them to buy his book or sign up for his Patreon account in so doing.

So, we'll just agree to disagree. No need to reply.

I'm still stuck on CPM154.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm still stuck on CPM154.

I'm a Luddite in most other respects.

User Tag List