Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

M&P, Spyderco style

Name:  FA9CBA97-49AE-44AD-BA23-148BD37256C2.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  CF8FE02A-05F0-4826-9D67-364B63F511C5.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  21.4 KB

I’ve had the Military for a while, the Police is my latest. Gonna be honest here, I’ve wanted a Police model for a while. I also had a hang up with it, being it had POLICE in sizable block letters in the blade. Well, a thread in the photo gallery, a PM from a trusted forum member, and a conversation with a neighbor who is a deputy sheriff finally assuaged my concerns that my non-sworn self would look like a loser wannabe carrying such a knife.

I wish I hadn’t waited so long, as I love the knife. The tip shape has been excellent for piercing things. The combination edge has enough serrations and enough plain surface to actually be useful in both modes. Only downside it really has is its heavy, but you don’t buy a knife with stainless handles and expect it to be the same weight as a Bugout.

I've been eyeballing a Native 5 in CPM SPY27 for a little while, but being a newish and exclusive steel... I've hesitated. Trying to decide if its worth the small premium over the less fancy models out there. I'd be lying if I said the color wasn't a big reason I like this particular knife. I've also wanted a USA made Spyderco for a while.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...27-trade-/1879

I'm not a knife nut, but I like and appreciate well made tools. I'll use and carry this, if I buy it, not put it on the shelf. I've carried a saber grind VG-10 Delica 4 for quite a while now, and it's served me well, other than I feel like edge retention could have been a bit better. It cleans up quick, and gets plenty sharp. I like the FRN handle texture, and I appreciate the light weight and thinness of the Delica. Native looks to be a fraction larger, but not by a lot. FWIW, I think the Delica "fits" me well, where the Endura would be too large. I have not handled an Endela. I've also sorta been eyeing the Para 3 in the same steel/color as the Native above.

Bah... decisions, decisions...

Larrin Thomas on SPY27:

Conclusions and Summary

CPM SPY27 is a steel produced by Crucible exclusively for Spyderco. The steel looks somewhat similar to S35VN but with increased Nb and N, decreased C and V, and a 1.5% cobalt addition. The resulting steel is expected to have similar hardness and corrosion resistance to S30V and S35VN. The edge retention is likely a small step down from S35VN. The toughness is probably a bit better than S35VN. And sharpening is probably a bit easier to S35VN.
    So, basically a good, solid knife steel if nothing particularly exotic. If you like the pattern and the color...go for it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Larrin Thomas on SPY27:
    I had actually found his website through an earlier link you had put in this thread... most of it was way deeper of a dive than I could fathom, but still fascinating.

It being a not too fancy, but good steel, seems to be the consensus. I should just jump in with both feet.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I had actually found his website through an earlier link you had put in this thread... most of it was way deeper of a dive than I could fathom, but still fascinating.

It being a not too fancy, but good steel, seems to be the consensus. I should just jump in with both feet.
    If you're using a pocketknife for normal, everyday tasks, it should be just fine. Let us know how you like it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

“Anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when I mention my fwiend...

Canis...

Dickus?”
    -Pontius Pilate, Life of Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I've been eyeballing a Native 5 in CPM SPY27 for a little while, but being a newish and exclusive steel... I've hesitated. Trying to decide if its worth the small premium over the less fancy models out there. I'd be lying if I said the color wasn't a big reason I like this particular knife. I've also wanted a USA made Spyderco for a while.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...27-trade-/1879

I'm not a knife nut, but I like and appreciate well made tools. I'll use and carry this, if I buy it, not put it on the shelf. I've carried a saber grind VG-10 Delica 4 for quite a while now, and it's served me well, other than I feel like edge retention could have been a bit better. It cleans up quick, and gets plenty sharp. I like the FRN handle texture, and I appreciate the light weight and thinness of the Delica. Native looks to be a fraction larger, but not by a lot. FWIW, I think the Delica "fits" me well, where the Endura would be too large. I have not handled an Endela. I've also sorta been eyeing the Para 3 in the same steel/color as the Native above.

Bah... decisions, decisions...
    FWIW, being an unapologetic Spyderco fanboy, I felt I had to have something in SPY27 as it was their exclusive steel. Yes, this is the mind of an addict or an idiot I guess, but I paid all my bills first.

I bought a Manix 2LW in SPY27 and have been satisfied. It’s hard for me to distinguish it from S30V or S35VN so it’s not like it’s some super duper incredible steel. It has been solid though and I don’t regret the purchase.

I was hoping the Factory Seconds sale was going to be online again this year. Sadly, it was back to in person only. Maybe one day I’ll actually drive up there and try it in person.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Name:  3538AD4A-621E-4ED1-A2CB-C2D177165BB6.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  60.1 KB
    I love my spy27 native. It’s definitely easier to sharpen than S30v and holds its edge at least as long. I think the size of the native 5 along with the weight make it like carrying a g26.

I also got this dragonfly in k390 used on eBay. It was dull and my first attempt at freehand sharpening. It was surprisingly easy to sharpen.

If I wasnt too lazy I’d probably unload all the folders I bought and keep my stretch 2 and dragonfly in k390 along with the native 5. If I had to have only one folding knife it would definitely be the native 5 in spy27. I believe spyderco did not intend for their spy27 to be as good as it is. I believe it is underrated.

User Tag List