Page 53 of 103 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

That is indeed a nasty blade. I wonder how much is balde shape, and how much is the serrations, as far as how it cuts. I'm sure it's a bit of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The S-curve was designed by Sal Glesser as a one-trick pony, but it’s pretty good at the trick. Check this out:

Great video!

I like testing capabilities of my tools in the scenarios that I might use them in.

I did that with handguns when starting out.

My potential perceived use of the blade would be to attack forearms or face in the setting of an attack. If all the forearm muscles and tendons are cut, there is no hand function.

That’s why I’m interested in this blade over a P’kal. Rather than slipping off and out of the tissue with a slash, it can hook a bone and pull in on a fulcrum lever using the bone as a pivot point with that curve.

I have a lot of ballistic gel left over from firearms testing so I plan on making a simulated bone in forearm wrapped in leather and testing on that with a conventional blade versus this one.

I’ll make a video when I do it if people are interested.

I think the benefit of the blade shape is if there are bones involved.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I would not want to be on the wrong end of that blade.
    There are only a few AARs on that blade floating around out there that I am aware of. The one that comes to mind is a guy running payroll to the bank, IIRC, who had one palmed while carrying his bag and then being accosted by a set of robbers. As the story goes, a low-line upward slash into the inguinal area of one criminal cut the poor bastard’s belt off of him from the inside out, in addition to everything else it encountered on the way out through the belt. Ugly stuff, if true.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    There are only a few AARs on that blade floating around out there that I am aware of. The one that comes to mind is a guy running payroll to the bank, IIRC, who had one palmed while carrying his bag and then being accosted by a set of robbers. As the story goes, a low-line upward slash into the inguinal area of one criminal cut the poor bastard’s belt off of him from the inside out, in addition to everything else it encountered on the way out through the belt. Ugly stuff, if true.
    I found a few reports from people who had used them successfully and they seem incredibly effective for their intended use (untrained slash and flail). To me they’re kind of like a 12 gauge… just go in the general direction with aggression.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I guess the palm to the forehead question is why not another military?
    July is when I get my uniform allowance and it will get done then. A waved Matriarch is also on the short list @JCN

As far as the Mil vs the Para, I have HUGE (6" blade) limited edition BladeForums Sifu in D2. I have a Vaquero Grande. For almost 15 years I carried a Kimber Warrior everywhere. My wife says I am compensating for something, but I don't know what she means.

@Totem Polar I need to go back to the pawnshop and see if at least one of those Civilians is still there. I could of had one like new, and one NIB for two bills last year.

Thanks @blues.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

That’s why I’m interested in this blade over a P’kal. Rather than slipping off and out of the tissue with a slash, it can hook a bone and pull in on a fulcrum lever using the bone as a pivot point with that curve.
    TLG handed me his Clinch Pick on the range one time and I have taken @SouthNarc's ECQC and @Cecil Burch's IAJJ, so I have been shown the concept, and actually like it. But it use window is really narrow, and ign't folks complain about not being able to rest their thumb on the back of the blade, so just handing it to someone unfamiliar like TLG did for me is probably a bad idea.

I also have a Gunting with trainer and two of Bram Frank's post Spidie blades, and lots of reps kinetic opening them and "defanging the snake".

I can't remember the maker now, but someone makes and sells a ring for the pommel of the Matriarch that allows you to use it in a kerambit fashion. That and a kydex sheath that holds the blade open would be two very interesting accessories for me to play with. I have never been taught to use a kerambit, but a couple of people I respect speak fairly well of them. One, a DT trainer and decades long judo guy called the Matriarch with the ring the "ultimate fireman's knife."

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    TLG handed me his Clinch Pick on the range one time and I have taken @SouthNarc's ECQC and @Cecil Burch's IAJJ, so I have been shown the concept, and actually like it. But it use window is really narrow, and ign't folks complain about not being able to rest their thumb on the back of the blade, so just handing it to someone unfamiliar like TLG did for me is probably a bad idea.

I also have a Gunting with trainer and two of Bram Frank's post Spidie blades, and lots of reps kinetic opening them and "defanging the snake".

I can't remember the maker now, but someone makes and sells a ring for the pommel of the Matriarch that allows you to use it in a kerambit fashion. That and a kydex sheath that holds the blade open would be two very interesting accessories for me to play with. I have never been taught to use a kerambit, but a couple of people I respect speak fairly well of them. One, a DT trainer and decades long judo guy called the Matriarch with the ring the "ultimate fireman's knife."

pat
    Wise men make the ring. I looked but it sticks up out of the pocket a lot.

I bought three Matriarch consistent with how I test carry guns.

One will be for carry, one will be for spare, one will be for testing and after that I’ll grind down the edges and use it for training.

Matriarch versus fixed blade

This is why I was so interested in the matriarch for a “defang the snake” defense.

This is a simulated arm bone.

Fixed blade versus matriarch. @Totem Polar @JCS

The fixed blade glances off the bone and pulls out.

The claw / hawksbill of the matriarch grabs and redirects the forces to cut flesh away from the bone circumferentially.

The PVC pipe is part of my simulated arm that I’ll set up for testing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hurley842002 View Post
    My gym/running knife, Spyderco dragonfly with wave feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bought one of these earlier this week. When they were first released I wasn't really interested because to me something that size didn't really benefit from a wave, even though I pretty much think that most folders should be waved. I also didn't really care for the Dragonfly for many years, but have started regularly pocket carrying a DF Salt that had been laying around the house for several years. The only issue with the DF Salt is that my hand size makes it annoying to open one handed sometimes, which defeats the purpose of carrying it versus a SAK. I also often use it as a money clip, which makes the issue worse.

Looking at options to replace it, I was seriously considering a small auto, like one of Kershaw's Launch models or the Microtech Exocet. I was concerned about the Launch opening in my pocket and the size (and cost, honestly) of the Exocet wasn't what I was looking for.

The shop I was in had a waved DF and it occurred to me that the wave might help with my issue opening it one handed. Thus far that has proven true and it is working quite well as a money clip/box opener. The grip is still smaller than I prefer, but as it turns out the cash held in the clip adds enough thickness to allow for a solid grip in the case that an emergency arises requiring the poking of something.

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List