Page 56 of 103 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    A lot of production companies and even custom makers run 'em softer than need be.
    Nathan Carothers has been pretty sanguine about his testing with MagnaCut so far, (he's still at it), and I have a lot of respect for his work with 3V, AEB-L etc.
    Larrin has been a real asset to the knife community. We're happy to have him post regularly on bladeforums.
    I will be very sad if production heat treats do not fully exploit MagnaCut's potential. Because it is so much tougher than other stainless steels, it can be run harder without sacrificing strength. They could go harder and gain some edge retention while still being way tougher than S30V/S35VN/S45VN/20CV/M390/... So 62HRC is definitely on the lower end of the hardness range I'd like to see, 63-64 HRC would be more like it. Let's hope for the best.

Production heat treats are never "pushing it" hard. Likely in a range that gives best balance of performance and least warranty claims.

Magnacut seems like a great steel for a fixed blade....not sure what people do with folders that will make Magnacut such a game changer. But i'm a tools for the job guy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Production heat treats are never "pushing it" hard. Likely in a range that gives best balance of performance and least warranty claims.

Magnacut seems like a great steel for a fixed blade....not sure what people do with folders that will make Magnacut such a game changer. But i'm a tools for the job guy.
    I like very stainless steels for folders. I also regularly use a folder to remove stuck cases and do other non-cutting tasks because its the tool I have on hand, so edge toughness matters.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I like very stainless steels for folders. I also regularly use a folder to remove stuck cases and do other non-cutting tasks because its the tool I have on hand, so edge toughness matters.

If that's the case then....within reason...... geometry matters far more with an edge toughness. H1 would be my choice there as it's easy to fix a damaged edge.

And realistically you'd be far better off with a Swiss army knife.

I often carry a primary folder and a Swiss army knife or a secondary folder that I'm not afraid to beat to death when I don't want to ruin my $130 primary.

I lost count of how many times people wanted to borrow my folder because they wanted to pry or use it as a screwdriver.

ETA. Even magna cut at 62 + hardness is not going to be anything like a screwdriver to pry with so be careful

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If that's the case then....within reason...... geometry matters far more with an edge toughness. H1 would be my choice there as it's easy to fix a damaged edge.

And realistically you'd be far better off with a Swiss army knife.

I often carry a primary folder and a Swiss army knife or a secondary folder that I'm not afraid to beat to death when I don't want to ruin my $130 primary.

I lost count of how many times people wanted to borrow my folder because they wanted to pry or use it as a screwdriver.

ETA. Even magna cut at 62 + hardness is not going to be anything like a screwdriver to pry with so be careful
    I usually have a SAK and Knipex mini Cobras. My M4 Para 3 has held up really well to doing non-cutting things. If I can get the similar performance without having to worry about corrosion, that will be great. H1 seems to roll pretty easily (at least when it's not serrated).

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    [...]
    Actually, that’s not all I’ve got. Let me se if I can get a buddy in here who has hacked the P’kal wave using kydex and shock cord: another way to go is to concoct an AIWB kydex rig that incorporates a wave trigger—eg. Shock cord loop—to guarantee deployment.

[...]]
    Yep, I'm happy with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Got my first spyderco... A para 3 lightweight. I like it better than my mini griptilian. Will probably grab a trainer next

Site Supporter
    I continue to be impressed by how my H1 Pacific Salt easily takes a very keen edge, despite my rudimentary freehand technique with a whetstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Got my first spyderco... A para 3 lightweight. I like it better than my mini griptilian. Will probably grab a trainer next
    Para 3 LW is an awesome Spyderco. I think it’s arguably better than the regular Para 3. I use a Sharpmaker to sharpen mine and for reasons I’ve never been able to explain I’ve been able to put the sharpest edges on my Para 3 and my wife’s Para 3.

Site Supporter
    I have been using my Sharpmaker (Sharpkeeper) with great success on an Ltd Edition Emerson Waved Endura (VG10) a Rockjumper (VG10) an old school Walmart Native (S30V) and a Cat (BD1N).

I did spring for the ultra fine rods. All of these knives will shave my forearm with ease and will "confetti" cut the corner of a piece of typing paper with ease. Sharp enough for me.

Looking to get one more knife to round out the rotation as I have seemed to misplaced a Benchmade Barrage.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List