Page 27 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

I have diamond sharp maker rods and IMHO bench stones are much easier to use. You will want a extra course and a course and maybe even a medium in the diamond stones.......makes work much easier. You cannot put much pressure on the rods as they're very narrow.... and you can rip all the diamonds out....on the bench tones you can put more pressure because they are wider although you don't need much.

S110v is a bit of an odd beast and needs to be sharpened right to deal with a large carbides. It will not hold a "sharp" edge very long but will hold a "working edge" for a long time. I personally value sharp edges for my general carry.... one reason I like ZDP a lot..... As it will hold a "sharp" edge far longer than S110V.... The latter will hold a working edge for longer. S30V will hold a "sharp" edge about as long as S110V.

I have never used Maxamet but a friend of mine said it is not fussy to sharpen because of the finer grain and it holds a sharp edge for a very long time.

Neither are very tough but S110V would definitely be better for any "harder use". I would avoid true "hard use" with either. If you wanted it to be a tough all-around use folder then 30V would be a far better choice.

Without getting into it harder steels are often much easier to sharpen they just take longer. I find ZDP easier to get a good edge on than VG-10. With VG-10 if you apex the edge too early it rolls very easy as an example. Understanding if you do a lot of damage to a harder steel it will take longer to re-profile the blade.

I'm not a connoisseur the way some of you all, but have still accumulated a bunch of Spydercos. After a self imposed moratorium on further additions in 2019, I kicked off 2020 by picking up a newer version of the Spyderco Cat in BD1N steel. The Cat's an older design with a liner lock and from Spyderco's Value line, but I like it quite a bit and had told myself I'd get another if they upgraded the steel. At 2.5 inch it's right at the fed bldg blade length limit, but handles like a bigger knife. I have an older version in 440C, and the BD1N is a significant improvement--super sharp out of the box, and really holding the edge well (I had looked at one with the earlier BD1 steel, and was not impressed). I did notice some tiny corrosion spots near the pivot when I pulled it out today, but they seem to have cleaned up.

Name:  IMG_1248 - Copy.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  87.7 KB

I just pulled 2020's Spyderco bookend out of the mailbox: yet another Dragonfly (my usual office carry), this time with a Wharncliffe blade. I'm not a huge fan of Spyderco's VG-10 (I do like the H-1 in my Salt serrated version), but I think this guy will be a pretty sweet little boxcutter.

Name:  IMG_1251 - Copy.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  94.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Both the Cat and its little brother the Chicago are made in Taiwan v PRC if that is a thing for you.

I like my Cat very much as a jacket/tie EDC.

Any times insofar as Sharpmaker stone maintenance? I feel like mine are developing a haze and/or rough and smooth spots. I was pondering cleaning them with a green scratchy, but I figured I’d actually get input before proceeding (for once).
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Any times insofar as Sharpmaker stone maintenance? I feel like mine are developing a haze and/or rough and smooth spots. I was pondering cleaning them with a green scratchy, but I figured I’d actually get input before proceeding (for once).
    Lots of options...

Gum / Artist eraser for quick cleanup.

Fine or Medium Rubberized sanding block type thingamajig

Barkeepers Friend (or any scouring powder, but Barkeepers is best).

"Green scratchy" with scouring powder will do the trick.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Can’t remember where I got the recommendation but I clean mine with a product called Bon Ami (bought a can at Walmart) and a scrubber thing. It seems to work pretty good. The white stones are white as can be again after a use.

Comment or something similar and a green or blue scratchy and scrub the s*** out of them.

When using softer steels like h1 the brown flats of the triangle stones can load in five to seven passes to the point of not cutting anymore. I usually put a bit of glass cleaner on the rods and they seem to load less understanding they cut slower but I only use them for the final apex. So three or four passes is the most I use the sharp maker stones for.

I label each flat with a number so I know which ones I've used and haven't used.

Clean the rods frequently and they're easier to clean and they work much better.

PS. Don't use the corners for plain edge unless you really know what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    PS. Don't use the corners for plain edge unless you really know what you're doing.
    Why?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Why?
    Too much pressure on a given point of the blade. If you go back and forth it rolls the edge back and forth and causes weakness. on some of the harder steels like ZDP and S110V you can probably get away with it.

The corners work well to put on a quick edge by making three passes or so on one side gently and then one pass on the other side to cut off the burr.

Again understand the narrowness of the corner makes it load very fast.

I never use corners when I'm doing a primary sharpen and bevel set. I go from diamond bench stones to the brownstones and then I'm done. If I'm feeling kinky I might use the white stones just for something different.....

My work knife I use medium diamonds for the finish in other words it has a fairly coarse edge but can still shave

Spyderco fanboy thread

Repost because... Spyderco

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List