Page 40 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Name:  6FFDD3B5-F17A-452F-B091-7383114AD081.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  59.2 KB

I’ve been wanting a solid Spyderco made alternative to the Benchmade Bugout. Nothing against Benchmade per se, I just vastly prefer the Spyder hole for opening and prefer Spyderco ergonomics overall. I see the Para 3 LW touted often, but it’s a bit heavier than a Bugout.

So I expanded my forum horizons a bit and did some searching on what Spyderco offered that was a real Bugout alternative. Over on the Spyderco forum I read a recommendation for the Salt 2. It’s 1.9 oz vs the 1.85 of the Bugout. Close enough. Blade is a bit shorter, but not enough to bother me. Both knives are linerless, so same/same. Back lock isn’t as sexy as an Axis lock, but honestly, a sub 2 oz knife with no liners hardly qualifies as a hard use special regardless of the lock. I’m also pretty fond of Spyderco’s execution of the back lock anyway.

Where the Salt 2 really wins out for me is the handle. It’s Delica 4 ergos all the way, and lord knows I do love the Delica 4 as a good mid sized knife the feels great in the hand. I went with the serrated Wharncliffe blade, but there are other options.

I can push cut paper with the blade although only one scallop does the cutting on this type of cut. It slices cardboard very well. Where I’ve found serrated edges to really shine of late is making feather sticks. For whatever reason, I can get noticeably thinner shavings with a Spyderco serrated edge than I can a plain edge. I’ve also found serrated edges to be better for me when cutting rope and zip ties, two things I cut a fair amount of. So far I’m loving this little guy and think it’s sinfully under advertised as a hiking/backpacking lightweight companion.

My gym/running knife, Spyderco dragonfly with wave feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Got my hands on it yesterday and played with it for awhile. Put it away and grabbed my Yojimbo I pick up a few weeks ago and realized that I don't like it. The PM 2's just fit my hands so well. the color looks so much better IRL.

Attachment 69856

This was also my first PM2 and like you say, I really appreciate that it feels a bit smaller than a Manix or Yojimbo, especially in pocket.
    The color combo is amazing in real life. I don't really mind that the liners are not coated.
    The edge bevel on the left side of my blade was a bit uneven from the factory, the right side was perfectly even. So last night I sharpened mine on my Tsprof sharpener. I measured the factory edge angle and it was pretty much exactly 18 degrees per side, 36 degrees inclusive. Went through my standard stone progression of 220/400/600/1000 grit and stropping on 1 micron diamond leather and the sharpness feels amazing. Not quite as aggressive as CPM-M4, but almost.
    Great knife, I'm glad I scored on this drop!
    Last edited by javemtr; 04-13-2021 at 04:00 AM.

Site Supporter

Salt 2 stained LC200N blade

I bought this LC200N blade because it was suggested to be an ideal choice for food prep. Last night I used my knife to slice some grilled bratwurst. This morning I noticed brown stains on the blade, so I've tried to clean it first with some windex, then rubbing alcohol, then WD40- no luck. Any suggestions? I'm actually not concerned about appearances as much as corrosion to the steel. Thoughts?Name:  LC200Nstain.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  41.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    ...Thoughts?
    Well... my first thought was, "What the hell kind of brats are you eating?!?"
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I think your best information will be available here:

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewforum.php?f=2
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    LOL- they tasted fine! At a friend's house.

@momano

Here's a thread you may want to take a gander at. Long, but I'll bet it may have some good info interspersed with the chaff.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...sible.1554938/
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    I bought this LC200N blade because it was suggested to be an ideal choice for food prep. Last night I used my knife to slice some grilled bratwurst. This morning I noticed brown stains on the blade, so I've tried to clean it first with some windex, then rubbing alcohol, then WD40- no luck. Any suggestions? I'm actually not concerned about appearances as much as corrosion to the steel. Thoughts?Name:  LC200Nstain.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  41.6 KB
    Flitz, Simichrome, or toothpaste.

Site Supporter

re: Salt 2 stained LC200N blade

I called Spyderco on Tuesday, they suggested Flitz, which Amazon delivered last night, and this morning the stain is gone. Thanks, all.

User Tag List