Page 46 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I'd say PM2 (although I don't currently own any - just a little too big for my personal tastes), possibly the criminally-underrated Native 5 FRN.
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Glad I am not the only one who feels this way. Not only are they a great folder in a useful size, I consider them one of the best looking Spydercos.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    "possibly the criminally-underrated Native 5 FRN."

I own and carry a few Spyderco and Benchmade folders.

But the Native seems to be the one in my pocket most of the time. It's the real sweet spot for EDC for me, and mine has served me well.

And it has been completely lost on three different occasions, including twice in the Coconino National Forest and once in the high desert near Roosevelt Lake in AZ in locations where no reasonable person would ever expect to see them again, only to be found.

Some Karma attached to that knife.
    IIRC, the first Spyderco I ever bought was a Native - the FRN one that WalMart sold for a while for $39. I lost it once and it stayed lost: My wife borrowed it for a church girls’ summer camp and I haven’t seen it since except when it needs to be cleaned, lubed, or (rarely) sharpened. She loves telling a story about when she went back to college after the kids were in school and someone needed a knife for something, and little blond Susie Homemaker pulls out the Native. Everyone acted like either she’d pulled out the coolest knife they’d ever seen (most of the guys) or a broadsword (most of the gals).

She mostly carries a Dragonfly now, but the Native is still hers.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post

Is there such thing as a G19 equivalent for folding knives?
    Spyderco’s G19 just about has to be the Delica. It’s just about the epitome of a no flash, all substance folding knife with great ergos, great performance, all that fun stuff. Yes, the Paramilitary 2 is a better knife. I think the Manix 2 is a better knife. But for the person that wants to “just buy this, use it, be happy with it” the Delica is just about perfect. It’s sub $100 price makes it an awesome gateway Spyderco also, without going to the Tenacious line. I think the Tenacious line is fine, but I balk at Chinese knives when there are better options from the US and Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    IIRC, the first Spyderco I ever bought was a Native - the FRN one that WalMart sold for a while for $39. I lost it once and it stayed lost: My wife borrowed it for a church girls’ summer camp and I haven’t seen it since except when it needs to be cleaned, lubed, or (rarely) sharpened. She loves telling a story about when she went back to college after the kids were in school and someone needed a knife for something, and little blond Susie Homemaker pulls out the Native. Everyone acted like either she’d pulled out the coolest knife they’d ever seen (most of the guys) or a broadsword (most of the gals).

She mostly carries a Dragonfly now, but the Native is still hers.
    I have two of those Wal-Martian Natives, and they are my EDC knives. I like the early blades with the 1/2 false back edge.....reminds me of the old Pacific Cutlery (pre-Benchmade) Weehawk blade.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Is there such thing as a G19 equivalent for folding knives?
    Realistically the Endura/Delica series was the G17 / G19 of knives.

-Have been on the market since 1990 (Glock 19 introduce 1988)
    -Helped popularize polymer handles
    -Were extensively carried by law enforcement and other professionals, as well as widespread civilian carry
    -Basic model has been continuously refined over 4 design generations (vs 5 generations of Glock)
    -Similar ergonomics across both models allows a user trained with one to easily pick up the other

Delica Gen 1 vs Delica Gen 4; we see a similar design similarity yet evolution from Gen 1-5 of the Glock (same shape and size, improved texture, durability, and ergonomic refinements over the years.)

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I only own the big brother of the Native, the Shaman...but it is a useful pattern in either size. (This one is M4.)
    Attachment 72997
    Is that one of the BladeHQ exclusive Shamans with M4 and natural G10 that you dyed blue?

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    Is that one of the BladeHQ exclusive Shamans with M4 and natural G10 that you dyed blue?
    It is that knife...but it was dyed by the original owner, (bladeforums member), I bought it from at a very nice price in the "exchange" some time back. (Well under what they were going for from Blade HQ...and it was new in every respect but for the dye job.)

The color is not quite as "deep" as depicted in the image. More of a "royal", and the opposite side is slightly lighter, but not enough to matter.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post

-Were extensively carried by law enforcement and other professionals, as well as widespread civilian carry
    -Basic model has been continuously refined over 4 design generations (vs 5 generations of Glock)
    -Similar ergonomics across both models allows a user trained with one to easily pick up the other

Delica Gen 1 vs Delica Gen 4; we see a similar design similarity yet evolution from Gen 1-5 of the Glock (same shape and size, improved texture, durability, and ergonomic refinements over the years.)

I kinda forgot about those plastic clips on there. Any idea when they phased those out? I seem to recall them still looking that way around… maybe late 90s to early 00s? I worked at a gun shop at that time and my memory is that the plastic clip was one thing that turned me off Spyderco and on to Benchmade at that time.

Ah, the old days:
    AR vs AK
    Ayood vs Cooper
    1911 vs Glock
    Spyderco vs Benchmade…

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Some of you may appreciate this...
    Back in the late 2000's homemade pimp jobs were all the rage so I gave it a go myself. This is an original Manix that I carried for years and then pimped out in 2008. I loved the knife but also equally loved the Spyderco Chinook. I eventually realized that I could sort of combine the two models favorite features of mine... The blade of the Manix with the handle of the Chinook. I accomplished this by reshaping the Manix scales to as close an approximation of the Chinook as was possible. I then carved the scales to help disguise the tool marks I left in the G10.
    I also stonewash finished all the metal parts, the blade, scales, lock, clip, and hardware.
    What I ended up with is an incredible knife that feels great and performs even better. My only regret is that I didn't do a better job carving the scales... It's harder than it looks to do it right and this was my one and only attempt. I don't carry it anymore but it still puts a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post

Yes, I agree with this. Endura/Delica definitely make a good folding knife analog to G17/G19.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Ah, the old days:
    AR vs AK
    Ayood vs Cooper
    1911 vs Glock
    Spyderco vs Benchmade…

That’s Easy:
    AR
    Ayoob
    Glock (but I’d rather have an option 3)
    Spyderco

User Tag List