Page 81 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wooosh View Post
    I've heard that the Para 2 tips break off easily. From personal experience, how true is this?
    Not if it’s being used for its intended purpose…….

Site Supporter
    New lightweight Manix with CPM-M4 blade steel on the way to me!
    --Jason--

I've heard that the Para 2 tips break off easily. From personal experience, how true is this?
    Maybe some ten years or more ago I did do that and I have no idea how.

Mothership took care of it.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

The grind on the Para produces a very fine tip.

I have multiple Para 2s and 3s, and I’ve carried a Para of some sort daily for years. I’ve never a broken a tip, but I only use my knives for knife tasks. It’s definitely not a blade for use as a screwdriver or prybar.

Site Supporter
    Blade HQ doesn't waste time! Knives arrived today. I bought 2 but only keeping one. I just bought some more Glock magazines and need to pay for them.
    --Jason--

I've used a mint/m4 native 5 since release and it's been great. It's dirty and patina'd due to work environment and neglect but it holds an edge for a long time. I'm a novice sharpener but even I'm able to maintain a poor but usable edge on it. If you know sharpening it can be a real performer.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

I have 3 - and 1 of the PM2 tips broke off when dropped. Little bit of time in the sharpener and back in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current EDC, which I've carried ~50% of the time since 2008, is the larger Spyderco Military, which shares the fine needle point of the Para 2.

Tip is still needle sharp.

Avoid dropping it while it's open on concrete, prying open paint cans, or stabbing into a ceramic plate cutting chorizo, and it will be fine.

And of course, most important rule - never lend anyone your knife when they ask for one. The only tip I've lost in 30 years of carrying a knife was when an idiot friend of mine asked to borrow a knife, only to use it to pry a safety off a Bic lighter...

So, my daughter is turning 10 next month and I think she is ready for a decent folding knife. She has had a small Victorinox Swiss Army knife but she definitely needs a Spyderco. Looking for recommendations.

The Dragonfly looks about her size and I can get a wooden knife kit for her to learn about it. Same goes for the Lil' Native although it's more expensive. I definitely don't want a liner lock for her so that sidelines the more budget models, unfortunately.

Let me know what you would recommend.

I'm trying not to buy a Shaman at the same time.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    So, my daughter is turning 10 next month and I think she is ready for a decent folding knife. She has had a small Victorinox Swiss Army knife but she definitely needs a Spyderco. Looking for recommendations.

The Dragonfly looks about her size and I can get a wooden knife kit for her to learn about it. Same goes for the Lil' Native although it's more expensive. I definitely don't want a liner lock for her so that sidelines the more budget models, unfortunately.

Let me know what you would recommend.

I'm trying not to buy a Shaman at the same time.
    I got my daughter a pink Delica for her sixteenth birthday. Last Christmas I got her a purple one. (She’s thirty now). I have a few black ones myself and it’s a very practical size.

User Tag List