Page 19 of 103 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ...with a 5x5 Pickpocket aftermarket wave.
    I didn't even know there was such an item; cool. I wonder if they'll make one for the forthcoming YoJumbo.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I didn't even know there was such an item; cool. I wonder if they'll make one for the forthcoming YoJumbo.
    Yojimbo 2 live and trainer, with 5x5 Combat Solutions Pickpocket wave openers.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter

A cautionary tale

Based on some positive reviews found elsewhere on PF, I recently bought a replacement pocket clip for my Spyderco Yojimbo 2 from Lynch NW: https://www.lynchnw.com/. Casey shipped the clip promptly and I set about replacing the OEM clip. When I attempted to do so, I found that the LynchNW clip holes were too small to accommodate the OEM screws. I buggered up one of the OEM screws stupidly attempting to force it through the Lynch NW clip. An extensive email exchange with Casey ensued. It culminated with him sending me 3 more replacement screws (he had originally shipped 3 with the clip) and me getting 3 replacement screws directly from Spyderco. The Spyderco factory clip screws perfectly matched the Lynch NW screws. They did not match my original "Spyderco" clip screws.

I belatedly concluded that my "Spyderco" (originally purchased from Amazon) was a counterfeit. I then bought a replacement from Blade HQ: https://www.bladehq.com/ I've done business many times with Blade HQ and visited their store front once - good people. Comparing my Amazon Spyderco with the Blade HQ Spyderco, I noticed a few very subtle differences (including the screw specs). For example, the Amazon Spyderco blade was about 1/8" shorter than the new Blade HQ Spyderco blade. It's a forgery, albeit well done. I contacted Amazon. They refused a refund or exchange, noting that the 30-day return period had long lapsed.

My takeaways:

1. Don't buy knives from Amazon.

2. Do buy clips from Lynch NW.

Name:  Spyderco Yojimbo 2 w Lynch NW clip view 1.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  67.3 KB

@Wyoming Shooter,

Dude, that sucks. Thanks for posting. It's outrageous that Amazon won't take responsibility for breaking the law by selling a counterfeit product.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

@Wyoming Shooter,

Dude, that sucks. Thanks for posting. It's outrageous that Amazon won't take responsibility for breaking the law by selling a counterfeit product.
    They will within 30 days. The problem seems to be twofold.

Selling legitimate knives and having counterfeit knives returned to them for credit.

Getting counterfeit knives from vendors who either knowingly or unknowingly provide them.

I'm not defending them, but in reality, how are they to know? When I bought an S110V PM2 from them, I spent a while upon receipt comparing the knife with known counterfeits. The knife passed every test. I've only bought a couple of knives from them. Usually I buy from well known dedicated knife vendors.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by krax View Post
    I thought for sure that the Waved Para Military would have been discussed here already. https://bladeops.com/spyderco-para-m...dge-exclusive/

I received mine recently. I haven't decided if it'll replace my Waved Endura for daily carry, but it's a very nice knife for the money.
    I've been carrying a waved endura for many years. A while back I decided I wanted a pm2, but didn't want to live without the wave... needless to say, I ordered one. I hope the pm2 lives up to the hype.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Some of my favorite knives are O1 which earns an eye roll from some but it makes my life easy and I even like the patina they have, despite my maintenance attempts.
    O1 is good steel and can make good to great knives, depending on heat treat and geometry. I always enjoy working O1.

Can you figure out which individual vendor fulfilled the order? We can at least share that info, and make sure no online knife knut buys from them again.

Site Supporter
    @Wyoming Shooter,

Now that Amazon is aware of the counterfeit, they will certainly wish they got rid of that vendor promptly upon learning of the fakes if Spyderco decides to pursue the issue.

Spyderco is not the only knife maker having problems with counterfeit knives. The advice to buy from authorized dealers cannot be overemphasized.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Now that Amazon is aware of the counterfeit, they will certainly wish they got rid of that vendor promptly upon learning of the fakes if Spyderco decides to pursue the issue.

Spyderco is not the only knife maker having problems with counterfeit knives. The advice to buy from authorized dealers cannot be overemphasized.
    Amazon is, (or was last time I checked), an authorized Spyderco vendor. That doesn't necessarily go for third party vendors nor does it address issues I referred to above.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List