Page 39 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It's hard to tell from pictures, but does the Wharncliffe Delica have a straighter handle-to-blade profile than the standard Delica? I'm asking because I prefer knives that work well for me in forward and reverse grips, and downswept blades don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here’s a comparison, with my red lines added. I think it’s an optical illusion. The overall geometry is similar.

https://bladereviews.com/spyderco-de...cliffe-review/
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I dug out a FFG Delica 4 and compared them. Interestingly (to me, anyway), the very tip of the Wharncliffe is not that much lower than the tip of the regular FFG blade... though it is a bit lower.
    I was part of the original thread/discussion on BF where the prototype of the Delica Wharncliffe was introduced, tested, discussed ad nauseum, and then the original run was sold (mine is one of the original run - nobody was sure whether it was just going to be a sprint or a regular catalog item, so those who wanted one pre-ordered).

It was originally intended to be a much more effective box cutter and package opener than a razor blade box cutter. The guy who built a home job prototype and then asked Sal if he would consider it for a production item worked in a warehouse cutting into and cutting up boxes, and grew disaffected with regular box cutter and blades breaking/needing replaced constantly. Sal built a couple of them and sent them to him to worksite test, and so those two were factory prototypes that got used hard.

Like I said, that was a knife I preordered. In fact, it’s the only one I’ve ever done that for. Definitely useful beyond cutting up boxes in a forward grip, but it does have a little bit of down angle to the tip to make it more effective for that use. It is useable in a reverse grip; my hands are big enough that I don’t mess with that regularly with a Delica, though, regardless of blade profile. The Delica handle is barely long enough for that to be somewhat safe for me.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I was part of the original thread/discussion on BF where the prototype of the Delica Wharncliffe was introduced, tested, discussed ad nauseum, and then the original run was sold (mine is one of the original run - nobody was sure whether it was just going to be a sprint or a regular catalog item, so those who wanted one pre-ordered).

It was originally intended to be a much more effective box cutter and package opener than a razor blade box cutter. The guy who built a home job prototype and then asked Sal if he would consider it for a production item worked in a warehouse cutting into and cutting up boxes, and grew disaffected with regular box cutter and blades breaking/needing replaced constantly. Sal built a couple of them and sent them to him to worksite test, and so those two were factory prototypes that got used hard.

Like I said, that was a knife I preordered. In fact, it’s the only one I’ve ever done that for. Definitely useful beyond cutting up boxes in a forward grip, but it does have a little bit of down angle to the tip to make it more effective for that use. It is useable in a reverse grip; my hands are big enough that I don’t mess with that regularly with a Delica, though, regardless of blade profile. The Delica handle is barely long enough for that to be somewhat safe for me.
    I used to haunt BF back when I was researching ES gear for the org I was in at the time, and I vaguely remember that saga. In those days I was so preoccupied with Mini-Griptilians that I was not too interested.

The Delica 4 serrated Wharncliffe is a wonderful knife for opening packages prepared by people with OCD and tape... lots and lots of tape.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    Just a heads up: there will be an exclusive PM2 released soon. It will be a Paramilitary 2 with OD green G-10 handle scales and black DLC coated blade S90V blade. Available on March 30th at 11 am Central. Priced at $182 each with a limit of 2 per customer. It will be exclusive to DLT Trading.
    Instagram post here, I couldn't find any mention on the website so far: http://instagram.com/p/CMnLLctLoyU/
    I just grab one. I'm so weak.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I just grab one. I'm so weak.
    2 hours later and they are still available! Either DLT Trading ordered a huge batch or this model is not as popular as anticipated. Either way, I ordered two because why not!

Got my hands on it yesterday and played with it for awhile. Put it away and grabbed my Yojimbo I pick up a few weeks ago and realized that I don't like it. The PM 2's just fit my hands so well. the color looks so much better IRL.

Attachment 69856

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Put it away and grabbed my Yojimbo I pick up a few weeks ago and realized that I don't like it.
    Dibs! You can pay me $20 to take it off your hands.

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Not owning a Wharncliffe and having an Amazon GC burning a hole in my pocket, I took a chance and ordered the Rockjumper off of Amazon.

Onkata shipped the knife which seems genuine, based on fit, finish, alignment etc. Onkata is apparently owned by Hardware Sales out of Wash state. Website there showed Spyderco for sale. CS phone number for Onkata matches Wash area code and Hardware Sales is an AD as per the Spyderco website.

Knife clipped the corner of a typing paper sheet and took hair off my forearm. Sharp enough for me.

Name:  8339FC0B-3756-4603-A0E0-5EC0075C4A3C.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  36.7 KB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List