Page 76 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That's a Spyderco Pygmy Warrior, basically a production version of the REKAT Hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Ahhh, thank you very much. I found some references to the Pygmy Warrior before posting, but wasn't sure. Let the search begin! Thanks again.

ETA: Well dang! For some reason, I thought this was a folder (although those serrations on the spine would make that... tricky). I see that it is a fixed blade (which is what threw me off earlier). Oh well, may still kick around and see what I can find. If anyone knows of a folder with a similar blade profile, I would love to hear about that.
    Being local to “the hobbit from hell” himself (REKAT founder Bob Taylor) I used to lust over the originals. Especially the Damascus steel Hobbit Warrior spec’d by Erik Remmen of NW safari. To make matters worse, the Round Eye Knife and Tool (REKAT) dealer here was custom 1911 guy Mark Morris. I’d stop in his shop all the time and get an eyeball full of stuff that I couldn’t afford. 5k 1911s and $450 Damascus Hobbits… in 1995 dollars, or whenever it was.

At any rate, the folder version—yes, there was one—was way ahead of its time. Dig it, especially the lock, which presaged current designs by years:

Also, the one that got away:

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1024145/

ETA: here ya go, my friend. You’re welcome, or sorry for costing you money—whichever it is—in advance.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1053172/
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Taylor was quite the character. I used to hobnob around with him at the Blade Show when he and Rob Simonich were cooking up some projects together. I couldn't take the guy but for very short doses. I do still have one of his pieces in the collection.

Name:  Rekat.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  26.3 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I still kick myself for not picking up one of those ugly-adorable little REKAT Fang neck knives. I have no idea why, but that design always caught my eye.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I still kick myself for not picking up one of those ugly-adorable little REKAT Fang neck knives. I have no idea why, but that design always caught my eye.
    Check your PMs.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    ETA: here ya go, my friend. You’re welcome, or sorry for costing you money—whichever it is—in advance.

So, first I was like, "You know, five bills ain't that much for a knife like that..." (the wife would disagree). But then I was like, wait - no pocket clip; and that is a *lot* of knife... So I guess it works out.

Someone needs to produce a knife with that blade and the lock shown in the video (looks smooooth...)and maybe ditch all the finger grooves and add a clip. That would be pretty great. They keep calling this a fighter, which I get; but I see a ton of utility with all that belly and then the top serrations. To me, it looks like more of an extremely robust utility blade - which is what I desire. Currently running a Manix XL that I've had since they were first released. It would take something like the Pygmy Warrior folding version to replace it.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    I still have a Hobbit Fang. I velcro'd the sheath so I could wear it upside down on the shoulder of my body armor. Even with a Benchmade AFCK and a Spyderco Military in my pants pockets when I was cutting evidence tags or lifting fingerprints the Fang was the easiest to get to and put away.

In the safe I also have the Bladeforums Commemorative Sifu in D2. Great big carry knife. The wife says I am compensating for something, but I have no idea what she is talking about.

Name:  rekat1.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  56.0 KB

Love this thing. Super sharp!

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I still have a Hobbit Fang. I velcro'd the sheath so I could wear it upside down on the shoulder of my body armor. Even with a Benchmade AFCK and a Spyderco Military in my pants pockets when I was cutting evidence tags or lifting fingerprints the Fang was the easiest to get to and put away.

In the safe I also have the Bladeforums Commemorative Sifu in D2. Great big carry knife. The wife says I am compensating for something, but I have no idea what she is talking about.

Name:  rekat1.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  56.0 KB

Love this thing. Super sharp!

pat
    Yeah, you *are* an old fart. Killer knives, though!

PS. My current EDC is an original recipe AFCK…. The 90s rule; the 2020s drool…

I shopped the KSF Black Friday sale, as my newest mentee is getting a pocket knife. Decided to pick myself up something small, with the excuse of how much I'd been doing shipping and receiving related work. Lots of cardboard, tape, packing straps, crating, etc. Due to the social NPE, I usually have a small old fashioned lockback or trapper on me, but for the next couple months, needed something easier to use with one hand, to get out of the pocket, etc. I picked up a Spydie Ambitious, which was a little over $20 with the sale. I guess it is part of their budget line.

Name:  20221213_120529.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  30.1 KB

I like it. It's done well so far. A good option to consider for a cheap gift knife, or for those locals with short blade limits, like Chicago. Unsure if I want to cut the hole into a wave or not.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Name:  20221206_102405.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  40.4 KB

Since some people are sharing their old school Spyderco knives I thought I'd do the same. The Benchmade was carried for many years between Spydercos. I had a Goddard that I think had carbon fiber scales. I gifted it to LE friend way back when. I wish I could find a G10 scaled Goddard.

Battle Station
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List