Thread: P30 DAO (V5 or V6)

P30 DAO (V5 or V6)

Does anyone have any experience with P30 in a true DAO (V5 or V6)?

HK P30 V5: conventional DAO trigger with spurless single-piece hammer and no decocker. Trigger pull is 36N ( 3,7 kg / 8,1 lbs)
    HK P30 V6: same as V5 but trigger pull is increased to 39N ( 4kg / 8,8 lbs)

Since a P30 V3 DA pull is about 11 lbs even with the updated 12# blue hammer spring, I wonder how they are able to reduce the DAO pull down to 8.1 lbs.

I see these variants listed, but never advertised for sale anywhere. Have been curious about these and if unavailable, would even consider converting a V1 LEM to true DAO if anyone knew what parts are needed. I see that Brownells has a DAO bushing and DAO hammer for the P series, but uncertain what the factory recommended springs for these variants are and if any other parts are needed. I assume the sear and sear leaf spring become unnecessary parts in a true DAO.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I'm understanding your terminology correctly, the sear bushing replaces the sear, but the "flat spring" is still required to operate the other stuff (hammer "catch") on the sear axle.

The problem with DA on an HK is that the hammer and hammer axle are both MIM parts. The reason they suck is not that they will fail, because they won't. It's that they are very rough. The sear axle is not smooth, it is not round, and it is not really the right size to function well as a pivot shaft for the ID of the hammer. The roughness makes for a lot of friction, and the dimensional issues make for a lot of inconsistency. HKs can have quite nice SA triggers (and the LEM-Match hybrid as well), because the hammer doesn't have to move very far on the axle. But some significant measures need to be taken to fix the hammer axle and its relationship to the hammer to work well in DA. I have some parts prepped to go to a coating supplier, but they paused their retail onesie business in December and extended the pause due to covid.

If you want a really nice polymer DAO pistol, look into the Sig P250. It is very easily made excellent and has all the advantages of the P320 grip module - current production, magazine options, support gear availability, etc. It's also a lot cheaper than an HK.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If I'm understanding your terminology correctly, the sear bushing replaces the sear, but the "flat spring" is still required to operate the other stuff (hammer "catch") on the sear axle.

The problem with DA on an HK is that the hammer and hammer axle are both MIM parts. The reason they suck is not that they will fail, because they won't. It's that they are very rough. The sear axle is not smooth, it is not round, and it is not really the right size to function well as a pivot shaft for the ID of the hammer. The roughness makes for a lot of friction, and the dimensional issues make for a lot of inconsistency. HKs can have quite nice SA triggers (and the LEM-Match hybrid as well), because the hammer doesn't have to move very far on the axle. But some significant measures need to be taken to fix the hammer axle and its relationship to the hammer to work well in DA. I have some parts prepped to go to a coating supplier, but they paused their retail onesie business in December and extended the pause due to covid.

If you want a really nice polymer DAO pistol, look into the Sig P250. It is very easily made excellent and has all the advantages of the P320 grip module - current production, magazine options, support gear availability, etc. It's also a lot cheaper than an HK.
    Thanks for the explanation on the limitations on the HK DA triggers. I had heard that the DA pull on a 92D was better than a DA/SA 92 because of the elimination of the friction from the sear. Was hoping a DAO HK might also be improved in DA pull over the DA/SA version for similar reasons. I was interested in a polymer frame DAO pistol. The P250 does look nice except that Sig discontinued it and I don't know if they intend to continue supporting the P250 with spare parts or warranty service.

I'll suggest another route for consideration: Get a P30 LEM, which these days wil likely come V1 Light LEM, and replace the mainspring with the Heavy mainspring, and the trigger return spring with the Heavy trigger return spring. The trigger pull on my LEM P30 is actually quite decent, out of the box. Much better to my feel than the DA/SA HK triggerpull.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'll suggest another route for consideration: Get a P30 LEM, which these days wil likely come V1 Light LEM, and replace the mainspring with the Heavy mainspring, and the trigger return spring with the Heavy trigger return spring. The trigger pull on my LEM P30 is actually quite decent, out of the box. Much better to my feel than the DA/SA HK triggerpull.

Best, Jon
    I have a P30 V1 that I've been trying different spring combinations with. As it came from the factory, I think the pretravel was too light and floppy feeling. I'm now trying V2 and TGS spring set ups. Might settle on something between the two... heavy TRS, heavy FPBS, light hammer spring. Still has a bit of a SFA like wall/break but I think increasing the weight of most springs except having a light hammer spring may minimize that feel. Realistically, I should probably just pick a combination and get used to it rather than constantly fiddling with things.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    Have been curious about these and if unavailable, would even consider converting a V1 LEM to true DAO if anyone knew what parts are needed.
    From the German P30 manual:

Name:  P30 Einzelteile.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  Teileliste P30 V6.png
Views: 613
Size:  46.0 KB

I've tried to upload the PDF, but it's too big (2.7 MB). If you send me a PM with an email address, I'll send you the German P30 manual as PDF (with parts lists).

PS:
    V5 is not specified in this manual. V6 is specified (see above).

My personal favorite is V4 CH (variant developed for Swiss police):
    hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/183737-short-pre-travel-v4-1-lem-trigger-p30-p30l.html
    montrala.blogspot.com/2013/06/hk-p30p30l-short-travel-lem-cda-trigger.html

There is also a PDF (V6 parts on page 23):
    waimexcom.vhost.noris.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/P30-Varianten-9-mm-x-19-SPC-DE-001.0514.compressed.pdf
    Last edited by P30; 05-02-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Name:  Teileliste P30 V6.png
Views: 613
Size:  46.0 KB
    As I understand it: In order to change a V1 to a V6, one needs the parts given by "Ident.-Nr." in the right column except the first, third and fourth (first = whole slide assembly, third = whole frame assembly, fourth = frame).

The German customs use the P30 V6 (13,500 pistols).

@FreedomFries
    I've given you the information you've asked for. But to be honest: I think, V6 is the worst of all P30 variants and V4 (CH) is the best. But what's good for me does not have to be good for you and vice versa.
    Last edited by P30; 05-02-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    I think, V6 is the worst of all P30 variants
    It seems that most people agree because I cannot find the P30 V6 offered anywhere here. HK USA's web store also does not list many of the V6 specific part numbers as available. I will probably just settle on some variant of LEM/CDA since it is better supported here. As you mentioned German customs uses the V6, maybe this variant only exists for special order by large agencies.

Site Supporter
    Working for an agency that went from DAO Berettas to being the first US Agency to issue HK LEMs, HK DA/DAO trigger pulls are generally horrible. The shitshow that is HK DAO trigger pulls is why LEM exists in the first place.

There is no reason outside ballistic masochism to want a HK DAO trigger.

User Tag List